shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this stone worth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine is looking to sell this diamond. It is certified by GIA.
The table is big but the stone shines like crazy. What is the price per carat for a stone this size, and what would be a good price for him to accept on this?

I know it''ll have to be discounted due to its dimensions, but what do you think would be a fair price for someone to pay for this?

I will post a pic of the stone next week when i see him.

Thank you as always for your help.......

k-stone.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting stone....that table is too big to be believed. Do you see a fish-eye?

I would estimate about $5500 online if he was buying it, probably max. For that type of non-ideal cut & the K color it will be discounted. To sell? Maybe 1/3 of that price...depending on what sort of interest he can dredge up. It's really hard to re-sell a stone, esp one that may not be that great of a cut. His best bets may be to trade it in for some credit at a jewelry store for a watch or something....or sell it on eBay for around 30% of value...or classified ads or Craigs List may net him slightly over 50% if he can find a buyer. But again....hard to re-sell and get anything remotely close to what you paid, if you don't have the contacts to assist.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just curious, but why is the date so old?? 1999??
4.gif

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
The date is old because he inherited the diamond in 2001. His sister had it appriased in 1999 and gave it to him 2 yrs ago.

What is the price per carat for a stone like this?

So were you figuring 5500 to buy online?
To sell about 3400?

That seems a bit cheap for a stone that size.......there is no fisheye effect at all.

It sparkles like crazy.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saying that it will sell for 1/2 or 1/3 of value may be missleading. Not that the estimate id simply wrong - it could be right - but because dropping the price will not make the sale that much easier. The most difficult would be finding a buyer in the first place. If offered such a stone for less than 2k (1/3 of price) I'd run - it does not look believable! There is no shortage of diamonds, so yeah... the price has to be competitive, but maybe not that competitive.

With this, seeing is believing. Are there any adds for diamond rings in local listings? How hard ca it be to place one? I would price the thing somewhat more than 4k to start with and negotiate. After all, it may be next to impossible to get anything decent of that size off the shelf for such a price.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
"That seems a bit cheap for a stone that size"

You have to remember that no matter what something would go for new, you need to find a buyer who wants just what you're selling, and who is getting such a good deal from you that he's willing to forego a retail establishment with all the guarantees and services therein.

You might want to try eBay and see if you get any bites.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would price it at $2900/ct or 4,176.00 total, with some room for negotiating. It is a very reasonable price for a 1.44ct stone of great clarity and more than decent color and fair make. This is a very hot size right now. Very sought after.
1.gif

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
So you are saying to price it around 2900 / ct?

Where can I post it on Ebay? Craigslist? here?

If anyone knows anyone looking for a stone this size, please let me know. I want to try to help him sell this.

Thank you to everyone on this board. Next week ill post the pic of it and the full GIA report.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I'd try listing the diamond in the newspaper before putting the stone up on eBay. I've noticed in my region diamonds are priced more competitively in the paper v. eBay and if the stone doesn't sell, you're only out a few bucks. eBay charges fees and so does paypal, so you end with all these additional costs PLUS the fact that most people are looking for bargains on eBay, and before you know it, you haven't made all that much.

Just a thought.

Michelle

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
Here are the pics of the stone and the GIA certificate.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

giacert2.jpg

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
pic 1

Dsc00105.jpg

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
pic 2

Dsc00106aa.jpg

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
pic 3

kjh.jpg

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
pic 4

inbox344.jpg

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
pic 5

v2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely a white sparkler. It looks huge! I second classifieds before eBay...private sale may net you more.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It is a real sparkler!

In the FAQ's, there's a thread about selling jewelry. A company that buys jewelery and diamonds posted a response. That could be a possible contact for you.

You can try offering the ring for sale on consignment thru a local jeweler. Many jewelers will do this because they don't have to spend money to show the piece, they pick up a fee, and you get the sale.
1.gif

tommyboy

Rough_Rock
anyone else interested in this stone?

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Be careful advertising this stone in the paper, you don't know who will show up at your front door.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results