shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this finish called?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
I saw this style of ring as a cheap piece of costume jewlery the other day and I just loved the finish on it. I managed to find a similar ring on the pearlmans site (pic hopefully attached in a resonable size for viewing). I was wondering if anybody knew what this type of gold finish is called. I appreciate any help thanks!

Rebecca

just in case my picture attaching skills fail here is the link http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/pearlmans-collection/rings/04EE1/120/

pearlmansring12345.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a finish applied with a pointed tool put into a setter''s reciprocating flexible shaft hammer tool. One might call it a "stippled" finish, or a "hammered" finish. Best to show the photo to whoever is taking the order.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve heard of it being called "Sand-blasted" has anyone else heard of this, or am I making this up in my head?
I would also consider is "stippled" as well, but hammered makes me think of larger dents in the metal.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A sandblasted finish is rough, but more finely textured. It does not involve the sharp edges and empty zones between metal as the photo shows.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 11:17:58 AM
Author: MustangFan
I''ve heard of it being called ''Sand-blasted'' has anyone else heard of this, or am I making this up in my head?
I would also consider is ''stippled'' as well, but hammered makes me think of larger dents in the metal.
stippled is the word I''d use as well - hammered also makes me think of larger dents, but sand blasted makes me think of a much smoother matte finish with just a little texture.

Alexandria

Rough_Rock
That texture is called Pave - They use the same tool and the metal is lifted, just as it would be when the diamonds
are being pave set. Stippled is a good term for it, but the metal is actually lifted up from the surface.

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everybody I knew I could count on P.S. for some answers!

emsmile.gif

Rebecca

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 7:28:09 PM
Author: Alexandria
That texture is called Pave - They use the same tool and the metal is lifted, just as it would be when the diamonds
are being pave set. Stippled is a good term for it, but the metal is actually lifted up from the surface.
Sorry,that is not correct.
Using hand tools takes time,drills and machines .........
Lots of various tools a goldsmith can use in a drill to produce various textures.
Note: some lovely textures will wear off and nead re-touching on certain designs/places.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/18/2007 11:17:58 AM
Author: MustangFan
I''ve heard of it being called ''Sand-blasted'' has anyone else heard of this, or am I making this up in my head?
I would also consider is ''stippled'' as well, but hammered makes me think of larger dents in the metal.
This is most definitely NOT a sand blasted finish which is a softer looking finish and does not cause such disruption of the surface but rather makes the ring look as if it has been buffed with fine grit sandpaper only a little stronger...

Contact Pearlmans and ask him, I am sure they have a name for it, it is very nice looking.

Wink

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whatever it is, I really like it!!!

sparkel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for chipping in Wink and Londonchris. I just really like the finish on it and I was heading to Toronto (I live in Canada) and wanted to have a look at some stuff while I was there to see it in person to see what I thought of it. Not really in a rush just something I could maybe drop a few hints about to my sweetie in case he wanted to give me a cool present. But I figured it would be a lot better to have a name than say "oh it looks like ummm well err.... kindof rough", lol. Thanks for all the great responses.

Cheers,
Rebecca

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it is called a "sparkle" finish - by the Italian companies where I first saw it being applied.
(I am not pulling your leg sparkel)

Date: 1/18/2007 11:08:53 AM
Author: oldminer
It is a finish applied with a pointed tool put into a setter''s reciprocating flexible shaft hammer tool. One might call it a ''stippled'' finish, or a ''hammered'' finish. Best to show the photo to whoever is taking the order.
Dave is correct - there are little pnuematic or conventional drills like the old fashioned dentist variety that work just like a mini jack hammer.
The tool tip is a very highly polished pointy nail like thing and bashes the surface deeply 20 or so times a second.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I had an invisible set ring once. The border of metal around the diamonds looked like that with little melee diamonds sprinkled here and there.

The jeweler referred to the edging as "Hammered and Bead Set".

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do the same thing to quilts where I come from.
emembarrassed.gif
It''s a beautiful finish, though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results