shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this diamond worth????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BSS

Rough_Rock
GIA Certified.

Round

1.87 carat

Color=I

Cut= Very Good

Calrity=VS2

Polish excellent

Symmetry Excellent

No Flourescence

7.94x 7.99x 4.81

Table= 58%

Depth 60.4%

Crown Angle= 34.0 degrees

Pavillion Angle= 40.6 degrees

Thanks for your help on this.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Just use the search tool about 3 inches on the page above here next to the red "Pricescope your diamond:"

BSS

Rough_Rock
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

Total Visual Performance 0.7 - Excellent
within TIC range

So based on the HCA...is this a good score?

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 9:58:33 PM
Author: BSS
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

Total Visual Performance 0.7 - Excellent
within TIC range

So based on the HCA...is this a good score?

t58.jpg

SandraPaneczko

Shiny_Rock
I just checked whiteflash prices

For a 1.70
I
VS2
ACA

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the girdle size?

thinking that is having a wider range or in the thick zone resulting in the cut grade?
a no brand stone of that size is roughly 14.2k max (online)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricing depends on whether this diamond is being sold online or if it is with a brick and mortar jeweller, online prices are usually less.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
‘Worth’ is a loaded word. It always has to have an element of what it’s worth to whom, when and under what circumstances or it’s not very useful information. It’s easy enough to look up what something like that would cost from one of the dealers here by using the utility at the top of the page titled ‘Pricescope your diamond’ and this may or may not answer your question. Another approach is to ask an appraiser and explain to them what set of circumstances you are considering. If you had one for sale, you could collect bids from buyers or you could go to the local mall and see what they are charging for something similar. All of these approaches will produce an answer, all will be correct in their own right, and they will be quite different from one another. I'm not trying to be evasive, I'm just pointing out that you've asked an incomplete question. It's rather like Douglas Adams's meaning of life, the universe and everything. The answer is 42. The hard part is understanding the question.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 7:15:52 AM
Author: denverappraiser
‘Worth’ is a loaded word. It always has to have an element of what it’s worth to whom, when and under what circumstances or it’s not very useful information. It’s easy enough to look up what something like that would cost from one of the dealers here by using the utility at the top of the page titled ‘Pricescope your diamond’ and this may or may not answer your question. Another approach is to ask an appraiser and explain to them what set of circumstances you are considering. If you had one for sale, you could collect bids from buyers or you could go to the local mall and see what they are charging for something similar. All of these approaches will produce an answer, all will be correct in their own right, and they will be quite different from one another. I'm not trying to be evasive, I'm just pointing out that you've asked an incomplete question. It's rather like Douglas Adams's meaning of life, the universe and everything. The answer is 42. The hard part is understanding the question.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

I guess I need to be MORE CLEAR.

Based on the HCA score which is "EXCELLENT"

.7 HCA

and according to this website, is becoming the "new" standard by which to grade diamonds......

I am looking for answers as it relates to its WORTH.

What would this diamond cost in the following

1) B&M store

2) Online?

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 2:41:37 AM
Author: SandraPaneczko

For a 1.70
I
VS2
ACA

This is a 1.87

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know of no dealers who price based on the HCA score although they can set their prices however they like and it would be interesting to see someone try this.

The utility at the top of the page will give you a very competitive feel for US online dealers with similar goods. you'll find dozens of offers.

Local stores will vary quite a bit depending on where you are and the details about the stores around you. They range from very price competitive to the Internet folks to as much as 50% more. Most will be thrilled to give you a price quote on what they have if you ask them.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 11:36:39 AM
Date: 12/13/2008 2:41:37 AM

Author: SandraPaneczko

For a 1.70

I

VS2

ACA

This is a 1.87

You can do your own comparison shopping by using the PRICES tab above and the search by cut or price comparison tools.

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 11:40:21 AM
I know of no dealers who price based on the HCA score although they can set their prices however they like and it would be interesting to see someone try this.

The utility at the top of the page will give you a very competitive feel for US online dealers with similar goods. you'll find dozens of offers.

Local stores will vary quite a bit depending on where you are and the details stores around you. The range from very price competitive to the Internet folks to as much as 50% more. Most will be thrilled to give you a price quote on what they have if you ask them.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
I can get this diamond for $13,500......
Based on what I have found on the internet.....I am thinking that is a very good deal.

Neil, and others...I would welcome your opinion....

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 11:47:05 AM
Is this a private party sale, an Internet dealer, a B&M store, or something else entirely?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
This is a vendor from this site.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1.85-1.90/I/VS2/GIA produces offers for 21 stones ranging from $11,357 - $14,951. The top end is generally full of stones that GIA graded as ‘excellent’ and this feature trades at a premium. Yours isn’t on the list by the way although given your specs it does seem to be on the high range of the similar offered stones. It’s a bit more work than I want to put in to get the HCA on all of them but since this seems to be one of your primary attributes you might want to do it and you will need to decide how much a 0.7 is worth to you when compared to a stone that’s similar in other ways but with a slightly higher score. I don''t know enough about your stone (or any of these others either) to comment on which is ''better'' and consequently I can''t identify one as a better value either although I''ll be happy to inspect any stone you like and provide a more informed answer.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 12:05:36 PM
1.85-1.90/I/VS2/GIA produces offers for 21 stones ranging from $11,357 - $14,951. The top end is generally full of stones that GIA graded as ‘excellent’ and this feature trades at a premium. Yours isn’t on the list by the way although given your specs it does seem to be on the high range of the similar offered stones. It’s a bit more work than I want to put in to get the HCA on all of them but since this seems to be one of your primary attributes you might want to do it and you will need to decide how much a 0.7 is worth to you when compared to a stone that’s similar in other ways but with a slightly higher score. I don''t know enough about your stone (or any of these others either) to comment on which is ''better'' and consequently I can''t identify one as a better value either although I''ll be happy to inspect any stone you like and provide a more informed answer.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Thank your for taking the time to address my questions.

.7 HCA in my eyes seems to be a very good score, as I have measure some other stones. $13,200 is the price, NOT 13,500
So....again...thanks for your assistance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 12:15:51 PM

Date: 12/13/2008 12:05:36 PM
1.85-1.90/I/VS2/GIA produces offers for 21 stones ranging from $11,357 - $14,951. The top end is generally full of stones that GIA graded as ‘excellent’ and this feature trades at a premium. Yours isn’t on the list by the way although given your specs it does seem to be on the high range of the similar offered stones. It’s a bit more work than I want to put in to get the HCA on all of them but since this seems to be one of your primary attributes you might want to do it and you will need to decide how much a 0.7 is worth to you when compared to a stone that’s similar in other ways but with a slightly higher score. I don't know enough about your stone (or any of these others either) to comment on which is 'better' and consequently I can't identify one as a better value either although I'll be happy to inspect any stone you like and provide a more informed answer.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

.7 HCA in my eyes seems to be a very good score, as I have measure some other stones. $13,200 is the price, NOT 13,500
The HCA is not used to select diamonds and I wanted to mention in case as this happens frequently, a lower score isn't better than a higher one although it is common for some to think it is, this isn't accurate. Also you mentioned earlier that you thought the HCA was rapidly becoming this website's preferred method of selecting diamonds, this isn't the case. Sometimes less experienced Pricescopers can think the HCA is used to select diamonds which can perpetuate this misconception, but the HCA is used purely for elimination and not selection. The aim is generally to score 2 or below then evaluate from there using Idealscope images and trusted vendor/ appraiser input. The diamond in question looks as if it could be very nice.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

.7 HCA is good. A very good score. But what does that say about the diamond?

It says that 4 averages of various angles on the stone are working well together. It is a good sign to further investigate this diamond, since if all the rest of the details are OK, you will have a stunning stone.

It does not say however if your stone has H&A. For that, you need to have pics in the H&A-viewer.
It does not say either if your stone leaks light. If the actual angles are close to the averages, you are probably good, but you at least need to check the ideal-scope.
It does not say anything about the division of the intensity of the light return. You need an ASET for that.
It does not say anything about minor facets or painting/digging and since the GIA cut-grade is VG, this might be present. For this, you need more detailed measurements (or pics).

And because of all these reasons, it is impossible to give a price-indication, nor to compare it to any other stone.

Live long,

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 1:06:21 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

It says that 4 averages of various angles on the stone are working well together. It is a good sign to further investigate this diamond, since if all the rest of the details are OK, you will have a stunning stone.

It does not say however if your stone has H&A. For that, you need to have pics in the H&A-viewer.
It does not say either if your stone leaks light. If the actual angles are close to the averages, you are probably good, but you at least need to check the ideal-scope.
It does not say anything about the division of the intensity of the light return. You need an ASET for that.
It does not say anything about minor facets or painting/digging and since the GIA cut-grade is VG, this might be present. For this, you need more detailed measurements (or pics).

And because of all these reasons, it is impossible to give a price-indication, nor to compare it to any other stone.

Live long,
Regarding "Brillianteering" how does this work? Does GIA tell you if the stone "didnt" have this done, the stone would grade "higher" in terms of its cut rating? Is a little "brillianteering" ok?? How much is too much.??? Do all diamonds have a little "painting& digging" ??

thanks again for everyones input......your "provided" education is invaluable.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to simplify Paul's post.
ALL A HCA SCORE OF .7 MEANS IS THAT IT IS WORTH GETTING MORE INFORMATION ON THE DIAMOND!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 1:15:07 PM

Regarding ''Brillianteering'' how does this work? Does GIA tell you if the stone ''didnt'' have this done, the stone would grade ''higher'' in terms of its cut rating? Is a little ''brillianteering'' ok?? How much is too much.??? Do all diamonds have a little ''painting& digging'' ??

thanks again for everyones input......your ''provided'' education is invaluable.

In my opinion both GIA and AGS allow to much painting in some cases.
At least AGS tries to qualify the performance impact.

No it is not practical to cut a diamond with absolutely no painting and or digging.
They all have some even the best cuts.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 12/13/2008 1:06:21 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Live long,
Regarding 'Brillianteering' how does this work? Does GIA tell you if the stone 'didnt' have this done, the stone would grade 'higher' in terms of its cut rating? Is a little 'brillianteering' ok?? How much is too much.??? Do all diamonds have a little 'painting& digging' ??

thanks again for everyones input......your 'provided' education is invaluable.
Brillianteering in some cases is said to aid desirable visual properties of a diamond, but it is important to have an Idealscope image in order to learn more about a particular diamond, especially if some brillianteering has been done. Also if you look in the comments section of a grading report, if applicable it will mention it in some cases if the diamond has been downgraded for it, but this does not necessarily mean it has a negative visual effect on the diamond, in fact some experts believe it can enhance the appearance of a stone in some cases.

BSS

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 1:23:11 PM
Author: strmrdr

Regarding ''Brillianteering'' how does this work? Does GIA tell you if the stone ''didnt'' have this done, the stone would grade ''higher'' in terms of its cut rating? Is a little ''brillianteering'' ok?? How much is too much.??? Do all diamonds have a little ''painting& digging'' ??

thanks again for everyones input......your ''provided'' education is invaluable.

In my opinion both GIA and AGS allow to much painting in some cases.
At least AGS tries to qualify the performance impact.

No it is not practical to cut a diamond with absolutely no painting and or digging.
They all have some even the best cuts.
If you had two diamonds side by side BOTH of equal proportions, but one had "brillianteering" performed on it, what diamond would COST more? The one without brillianteering? Will a GIA Cert define the "degree" of brillinanteering?

thanks

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/13/2008 1:58:36 PM

If you had two diamonds side by side BOTH of equal proportions, but one had 'brillianteering' performed on it, what diamond would COST more? The one without brillianteering? Will a GIA Cert define the 'degree' of brillinanteering?

thanks
This is like asking "If you have two women side by side of equal proportions, but one has a haircut, who is more appealing? The lady with the haircut?"
1.gif

Long answer: Brillianteering is the final stage in the polishing process. What is done, and to what degree, impacts different proportions sets differently. A diamond can be brillianteered normally, or it can be painted, or it can be dug out. Or it can be normal on the pavilion, painted on the crown. Or it can be normal on the crown, dug on the pavilion. Or it can be dug on both sides. Or it can be painted on both sides... You also have different degrees of painting and digging, so a diamond with 1 degree of painting on the crown only will not have mention on the lab report whereas a diamond with 5 degrees at near-Tolk proportions will be impacted with GIA but perhaps not AGS, and a diamond with 7 degrees will be impacted with both. The reports are not very specific and variations on the pavilion are a different ballgame entirely.

For graphic examples, check out p3 of this article
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/45/1/Visible-Effects-of-Painting--Digging-on-Superideal-Diamonds.aspx

Short answer: This depends on the individual diamond(s) considered. The top, cut-focused sellers here - those who are familiar with this subject in particular - will be frank with you on this topic. Less cut focused sellers, here or in the mainstream, may not be as specific in technical areas as someone who gets into all this will desire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results