shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the weather like over there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone

I am very new to PS and finding the whole concept terribly exciting. I am sat in my house watching the rain fall on a very wet and windy January day in the UK and I was just wondering if anyone is getting some real wintry weather? I lived in Novi MI for 18 very happy months so would be thrilled to hear from someone there.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Samantha Red, Hello. where are you in the UK. I am also in the UK and just deciding whether or not to go out to the store and face the wind and cold. Looks like a little rain too.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
I am in not very Sunny Nottingham, which is in the East Midlands. Where are you? Are you an American living in the UK?

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I am in Oundle - East Northamptonshire (about 11 miles to Peterborough). Yes, I am an American living in the UK. Been here over a year now. We will be here at least until 2008. We like it, but hope to go find somewhere warm next time. I am a California native and prefer the summer weather all year around.
Have fun on the forum. It is an interesting place to hang out. Lots of information and lots of beautiful rings.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
You are really not far at all from me then. I hope this rain is not coming your way. I am sure California is much nicer, but I am finding this weather too warm and am craving some real winter weather. I hope you have found the English welcoming and friendly
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang in there Samantha - there are bulbs coming up in my garden - Spring will soon be here! The evenings are getting lighter too!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I''m in Quebec Canada and there is NO snow. Today it''s 0 degrees which is unheard of. And there was only slushy-rain so far. You figure if you live in Canada then you are entitled to snow for Christmas. I can tell you that skiers and snowboarders are going through extreme withdrawl this season!

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
That is terrible. A friend of mine has a brother who is working in Whistler at the moment, I think they have a little snow. Even the Alps in Europe are starved of the white snow this year.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m in sunny southern CA and it has been just that. Our temps have reached as high as 86 F this week and we''ve had lots of winds (Santa Ana''s=hot winds). We''re supposed to get rain on Thursday, my yard would love it if it lasted for a while. But we get our rainy season late, it usually starts in March.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
It''s unusually cold where I am, -7C , although it is supposed to be above freezing later today.
It''s sunny so I''m hoping we''ll finally see some pavement soon on my street. It was never plowed and is now a lumpy, icy mess with bumps and holes varying by more than 6 inches except for one intersection which must be at least a foot. We can''t tell if those are potholes underneath or just pockets with less compacted ice.

I''m curious if this bone-jarring ice is a phenomenon in areas that are snowy all the time? We usually get a few inches of decorative snow every few weeks and then it promptly melts in the city.
5.gif

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
It is mild here. There is wind and slight sprinkles,,, but not really cold.
Alleycat, I spent one year in Quebec city (exchange student at Universite Laval) and it was the coldest winter I ever experienced... yet, i had such a blast that year.
9.gif

We are going on Vacation in a few days - back to see family in PA and we were going to book a ski trip... but the mountains don''t have any snow.
I am sure we will get some real winter weather before spring sets in.

landarchsailor

Rough_Rock
Hi Samantha...I used to live in the East Midlands! I LOVED England! Now I''m in the Midwest (US) and usually its snowy and well below zero this time of year. Today its sunny, not a flake of snow to be seen and its been in the 40''s. I''m so not complaining!

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Indiejones, that weather sounds like heaven to me. I have just been to feed my horse and the mud is hideous, would be so much happier if it was cold and hard ground!

landarcsailor, how funny, where did you live? The dog on your avatar looks exactly like my old lab too!

landarchsailor

Rough_Rock
Sam....I lived in an old manor house 4 miles outside of Grantham....Harlaxton Manor in Harlaxton Village. Absolutely loved it.

Aren''t labs the best? Thats Ella...she''s my baby!

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 1:47:56 PM
Author: landarchsailor
Sam....I lived in an old manor house 4 miles outside of Grantham....Harlaxton Manor in Harlaxton Village. Absolutely loved it.

Aren''t labs the best? Thats Ella...she''s my baby!
I know Harlaxton, absolutely lovely. I guess you got into Nottingham when you were here then?

Labs are the best, my old one is nearly 12 and I have her since she was 6 weeks old. Her name is Meg and she has guided me through the most traumatic episode of my life so far when I got divorced. It is fair to say that I worship her and each day I panic a little more about how I am going to cope when she dies. Her half brother just died at 14 so I am hoping that is a good indicator about Meg''s lifespan. They are such loving, kind dogs. Having said that my little jack russell cross is quite special too, in a different way. Dogs, cats and horses are all cool!

landarchsailor

Rough_Rock
Wow! You know Harlaxton....so cool! I did get into Nottingham some. Mostly to the university. We were pretty much all over the place! Cornwall is my favorite area though.

Ugh...Ella is 6 and I seriously can''t even contemplate her not being here. Dogs are fabulous in general, but labs seem particularly perceptive and special. Of course, I''ve only ever had labs, so I''m sort of biased!

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
We love Cornwall too, we go every Summer for a week or so. We are quite spoilt for nice places on such a little island. Ella is so beautiful although I too am biased. As I live in a rural area, it is wall to wall labs, although generally black so my golden Meg is extra special

landarchsailor

Rough_Rock
Awww...Ella says thank you! I forgot to say in my earlier post that I''m sorry about the loss of your 14 year old dog. Sounds like he had a long and happy life though!

You guys are awfully lucky in England....so many fabulous places on your island and you are so close to many other fabulous places in Europe and beyond. Envy envy! Where in Cornwall do you go? Same place or different places?

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
We tend to go to Newquay, or rather the outskirts of. We then move around each day going to different beaches, trying to find good surf. In October we go to Scotland, which is the most amazing place and often we go to Northumberland at some point, a place full of history and castles. I must admit since living in America for a little while I really appreciate the history of this country and don''t it for granted. I am so proud of our monarchy and tradition.
35.gif

landarchsailor

Rough_Rock
I''d be proud too if I was you!!! You have wonderfully rich traditions and history! I''d move back in a heartbeat if I could.

glitterkitty

Shiny_Rock
Hi Samantha Red,

I''m in the UK too - just a bit further north than you up here in Yorkshire. Totally agree about how lucky we are to have so much on our small island. We live approx 30 miles from the coast, but can be in the Peak Distrct, the Dales or out on the Moors in an hour or so. Its wonderful to have such contrasts!

We''''ve been pretty lucky with the weather - not much rain, and only a strong breeze. It tends to rain itself out over the Pennines, lucky for us!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in Sunny So Cal too! It''s currently 81 degrees here and I am off to the beach to go rollerblading!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I live in Western Canada and we had the warmest Dec. on record. But our weather is about to turn, and we expect snow and -20 C (high) and -27 C (low), by Thur. Holy yuk.

cheers--Sharon

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Sunny So Cal here, too! It''s 77 at the coast here right now. I''m in a tank, jeans, and flip flops playing with my daughter in the backyard and LOVING the warm weather. I am excited to have a little rain, though later in the week.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
When we were dating (April 2003 to April 2006) we compared the weather nearly everyday between London and Atlanta. The weather is more or less the same, varies slightly on a daily basis but evens itself out. The biggest differences were humidity - Atlanta is VERY humid - and the amounts of daylight.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
35.gif
36.gif
I''m down under in sunny Sydney....and it''s a very hot and gorgeous 36''C today and pretty much has been all week, we were sailing on the harbour after work yesterday and my FI has managed to get a bit pink....
Sorry to brag, but we are in the midst of a fab summer....

nomissjane

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 9:10:48 AM
Author:Samantha Red
Hello Everyone

I am very new to PS and finding the whole concept terribly exciting. I am sat in my house watching the rain fall on a very wet and windy January day in the UK and I was just wondering if anyone is getting some real wintry weather? I lived in Novi MI for 18 very happy months so would be thrilled to hear from someone there.
It snowed today!! It snowed a few times - it is also getting very cold tonight and for a couple days.... we don''t normally get a lot of snow - this is typical I guess, some years we get nothing at all, some years we get up to 6" that lasts a week or so. That''s rare though. It''s fun to get a little snow! I used to live in upstate NY and got a LOT of snow.... I miss it but I don''t miss having it for 5 months hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results