shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the technical term for this aesthetic?

po720

Rough_Rock
Hi PS community,

Would any of the more experienced folks out here be able to help me express what it is that I'm drawn to in a setting? This is my current setting from my pre-PS days when I didn't know any better about hand forged, etc.:

https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER6167W83JJ/amavida

and this is what I would want if I had a blank checkbook and VC would take my 2.62 upgrade from Blue Nile and even incorporate another 2 smaller graduated stones at the bottom of both ends:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-jana-five-stone-trellis-solitaire

Is there a name for this particular aesthetic with a large center stone and the graduated sides? Am I overthinking this? Thank you for your patience with a very rough rock and thank you in advance!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You already said it. Large center in a five stone with graduated sides.

Just an FYI I do not think that is a 4-6k VC setting. Depmding on how big those sides are you minght be looking at way over that. Like double (12k ) or more.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1472095544|4069798 said:

Just an FYI I do not think that is a 4-6k VC setting. Depmding on how big those sides are you minght be looking at way over that. Like double (12k ) or more.

Yes, you're looking at 4-6k for the setting plus another multiple thousands for the diamonds. The majority of the cost in that Gabriel & Co setting is the diamonds, and it would be at least half the cost in the VC setting as well. Plus my recollection is that VC really did not like making that setting so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive due to that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I said 4-6k it was the starting price for a halo. A ring loke you want... You'd be better off with a CAD bench.

po720

Rough_Rock
distracts|1472096769|4069805 said:
Gypsy|1472095544|4069798 said:

Yes, you're looking at 4-6k for the setting plus another multiple thousands for the diamonds. The majority of the cost in that Gabriel & Co setting is the diamonds, and it would be at least half the cost in the VC setting as well. Plus my recollection is that VC really did not like making that setting so I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive due to that.

Thank you gypsy and distracts for the feedback!! You guys are right on target, I actually emailed VC for a quote of a similarly sized diamond and the setting (knowing he won't work with outside stones anymore...) - a 2.5 H/vs2 would be 25k plus the setting with 2 .5 ct h/si1 and 2 .13 h/si would be 9k after 10% discount for sourcing center stone through them for an all in of 34k. If I could have sold my original ering and studs (for the roughly 14k i paid or even 12 or 13), it would still be at least 10k more than what I'm paying for the current upgrade just because the center stone is 5k more than my 2.62 BN stone to start with...

I think having yekutiel set the new stone in the old setting will breathe new life into the ring. Would it make sense to ask for more eagle claw shaped prongs instead of the kind of stubby ones that came with the original? I'd imagine he will have to replace the head completely to fit a 2.62 where the 1.36 was before so I am interested to find out how the spacing will work.. I put so much time into learning about the stones that the setting part is now a whole new frontier :doh:

po720

Rough_Rock
This is the current deformed state of my setting after taking the 1.36 out so I am feeling really nervous about it's future :confused: :confused:

img_12580.jpg

img_12581.jpg

img_12582.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Po! In order to accommodate your now much larger stone, I believe your current head will need to be completely removed and replaced (as was mine) so don't worry about it being mangled. Yekutiel will really need to look at it first before advising what can be done. Things to note/consider: your new stone will sit higher (more depth to a larger stone) and they will have to measure the room they have to work with between the cathedral arms to see what will fit without having to open the ring up.

I see you love that graduated five stone rings...well Yekutiel made an absolutely amazing one (I believed insprired by Yssie's) for cinnamonstick when she upgraded her diamond and I believe she was working on a budget: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/arrived-just-in-time-for-christmas-5-stone-ring-finished.218179/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/arrived-just-in-time-for-christmas-5-stone-ring-finished.218179/[/URL]

You can put a colored gemstone into your existing setting if you're sentimental about it and wear it as a rhr. Just another option ;-)

po720

Rough_Rock
ac117|1472140554|4069972 said:
Hi Po! In order to accommodate your now much larger stone, I believe your current head will need to be completely removed and replaced (as was mine) so don't worry about it being mangled. Yekutiel will really need to look at it first before advising what can be done. Things to note/consider: your new stone will sit higher (more depth to a larger stone) and they will have to measure the room they have to work with between the cathedral arms to see what will fit without having to open the ring up.

I see you love that graduated five stone rings...well Yekutiel made an absolutely amazing one (I believed insprired by Yssie's) for cinnamonstick when she upgraded her diamond and I believe she was working on a budget: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/arrived-just-in-time-for-christmas-5-stone-ring-finished.218179/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/arrived-just-in-time-for-christmas-5-stone-ring-finished.218179/[/URL]

You can put a colored gemstone into your existing setting if you're sentimental about it and wear it as a rhr. Just another option ;-)

AC, I am borderline obsessed with the vc 5 stone after seeing it for the first time yesterday on his website :love: !! after gypsy posted about being mindful of budgets re: setting rec's, i wandered over to his site and it was the only one i was really drawn to.. especially the unplated white gold! when I saw yssie's version with the 2.7 this morning my jaw fell to the floor.. it really is a work of art :love: :love: I would totally go for it and even ask for 2 more stones to make it a graduated 7 stone :D I am definitely going to ask yekutiel about stripping the plating to make the er and matching band into the softer champagne color of the vc and making the double prongs a little more pointy like the eagle claws.. i didn't know i had so many opinions about this stuff until i saw the endless world of possibilities on PS :drool:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it has changed very recently, Victor does not have a policy refusing setting all outside stones. In fact, another poster posted info from Victor on this in the last few days. He gives priority to setting the stones he sells. He will take other orders when he can fit them in, but they may take longer to complete since his diamonds have priority. I do agree that a new cast setting would be more cost effective for you, though.

Your current setting is not going to take a 2.5+ ct diamond without just remaking the setting and reusing the diamonds (or like ac117 said, just keep the old setting for a colored stone and get slightly bigger side diamonds for the new ring). Don't even think about trying to alter the current ring. It just won't look as good trying to make a setting that is too small work for a much larger stone.

I also gave some warning thoughts about unplated white gold on another thread. It won't look great when you wear other white metal or yellow gold jewelry. White metal is more neutral and easier to combine other metals with. Just my opinion, but I would strongly recommend staying with white metal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results