shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the SECRET to get your other half to adorn you with AMAZING Bling!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a fairly new PScoper.....but long time lurker
emsmiled.gif

I am in awe of the beautiful diamonds that the members proudly own. I must know what the secret is to getting your other half to adorn you with AMAZING Bling?! I have a better half who just doesn''t get the whole "thing" about jewelry. He thinks it''s a big investment of $$$$ for no monetary return. He knows how much I would love a giant rock, but also knows that my financial sense can''t argue with his logic. Soooooo guys and gals.......how do you do it?! What''s the secret....I''m dying to know!
33.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hm. Well, I have it easy, I guess. Both of us have various obsessions and so just as I may not understand his obsession with say, Godzilla, I can equate it to my obsession with diamonds. And vice versa. He may not understand the object, but he understands that I'm interested in something as much as he's interested in something else. So, he lets me indulge just as I let him indulge.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
If it is an E-ring or Special Occasion like a major anniversary your significant other should know your style and desires. Of course you both need to accept your financial limitations and priorities. Communication is key!

PS - I am hoping to see a strmrdr response to this ! LOL!
20.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses! The "hobby" thing is a grand idea
emwink.gif
His hobbies are VERY expensive!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 3:11:13 PM
Author: bar01
If it is an E-ring or Special Occasion like a major anniversary your significant other should know your style and desires. Of course you both need to accept your financial limitations and priorities. Communication is key!

20.gif
heheheh whats that spose to mean?
Am I spose to say stop eing materialistic and be happy with what she has?

Naw i will be nice....
start small.
Find something pretty that you like that isnt expensive and drop a few not too subtle hints that thats what you want.
If you get it be sure you are truely happy with it and reward him.
He might just suprise ya on the next occasion with something even nicer.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 2
6.gif
1:11 PM
Author:Libster

I must know what the secret is to getting your other half to adorn you with AMAZING Bling?! I have a better half who just doesn't get the whole 'thing' about jewelry. He thinks it's a big investment of $$$$ for no monetary return. He knows how much I would love a giant rock, but also knows that my financial sense can't argue with his logic. Soooooo guys and gals.......how do you do it?! What's the secret....I'm dying to know!
33.gif
In my case, my guy didn't see the point of spending big bucks on *jewelry* either. He's got lotsa guy stuff that he spends lotsa $$ on & I told him this was the *stuff* that makes me happy - I'm low maintenance for a NYC gal (I'm not about the shoes, handbags, designer labels at all). So he didn't think he'd have to keep shellin out for da bling, I told him that the only diamond I ever wanted from him was an e-ring (the rest I can buy myself - he already let me buy myself a RHR) & that I want to keep the same e-ring for the duration. He set the budget - just under one month's gross, I belive - at an amount that would allow us to get a high quality stone but not over-the-top bling. Quite honestly, I believe the amount would have been lower but since I just put $xxx,xxx into buying our home (I'm the saver in the relationship)
2.gif
he may have felt like he shouldn't go lower... Anyway, the amount was his decision & I stuck to the budget & came in just under
4.gif
And i couldn't be happier w my e-ring
30.gif
or my sweet fiance!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 3:38
6.gif
7 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 11/16/2004 3:11:13 PM
Author: bar01

20.gif
heheheh whats that spose to mean?
Am I spose to say stop eing materialistic and be happy with what she has?

Naw i will be nice....
start small.
Find something pretty that you like that isnt expensive and drop a few not too subtle hints that thats what you want.
If you get it be sure you are truely happy with it and reward him.
He might just suprise ya on the next occasion with something even nicer.
LOL
Thanks for being nice and in a nice way reminding me to remember what an amazing and wonderful life I have. I get sooo caught up in the "show me the ring" folder that I forget everying and become like a possessed zombie
11.gif
"I want diamonds"

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 5
6.gif
5:39 PM
Author: alexah

6.gif

I must know what the secret is to getting your other half to adorn you with AMAZING Bling?! I have a better half who just doesn''t get the whole ''thing'' about jewelry. He thinks it''s a big investment of $$$$ for no monetary return. He knows how much I would love a giant rock, but also knows that my financial sense can''t argue with his logic. Soooooo guys and gals.......how do you do it?! What''s the secret....I''m dying to know!
33.gif
In my case, my guy didn''t see the point of spending big bucks on *jewelry* either. He''s got lotsa guy stuff that he spends lotsa $$ on & I told him this was the *stuff* that makes me happy - I''m low maintenance for a NYC gal (I''m not about the shoes, handbags, designer labels at all). So he didn''t think he''d have to keep shellin out for da bling, I told him that the only diamond I ever wanted from him was an e-ring (the rest I can buy myself - he already let me buy myself a RHR) & that I want to keep the same e-ring for the duration. He set the budget - just under one month''s gross, I belive - at an amount that would allow us to get a high quality stone but not over-the-top bling. Quite honestly, I believe the amount would have been lower but since I just put $xxx,xxx into buying our home (I''m the saver in the relationship)
2.gif
he may have felt like he shouldn''t go lower... Anyway, the amount was his decision & I stuck to the budget & came in just under
4.gif
And i couldn''t be happier w my e-ring
30.gif
or my sweet fiance!
Great story!!! It''s all in the communication. You''d think I would have learned that after 15 years of marriage
21.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For websailor and I there really is no secret. We are very similar in our spending habits in that we are very conservative. Except for my mortgage which I should have paid off in 5 years (its my house, websailor owns his own oceanfront property on the Mendocino coast) we don't buy things unless we have the cash to pay for it (that goes for cars and diamonds also). It was painful for me the write the check when we purchased our last vehicle.

We have a rule in our household, we can buy anything we want under $500 without checking with the other. For items over $500, we discuss it together. Very rarely do we decide against what we want probably because we don't buy a lot of things that we really don't need (well except for diamonds
1.gif
).

I am the one who tends to be cheap with myself when it comes to jewelry. Websailor was the one who talked me into buying the 10.5 ct diamond tennis bracelet. I kept saying, well I really didn't need it since I already had a 6.5 ct one. But he kept encouraging me saying that other than my e-ring, I have not bought much jewelry in 15 years.

Websailor is also the one who told me to have Richard Homer recut my sapphire. I was the one fussing over a couple hundred dollars and websailor said "just do it". Boy am I glad I listened to him (and Wink).

I guess I am really fortunate to have websailor as a husband. He is not into material things himself (he'd rather go hiking, backpacking, and camping, and gets excited over new hiking boots) but he does not deprive me of the things that he knows will make me happy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist

yes, blame it all on your husband .how long did it take for him to convince you to buy the 10+ ct super bracelet ?
30.gif
30.gif
i'll say at least 2 minutes ,did he have to twist your arm really hard......LOL
9.gif

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
Wow what a stunning sapphire and it does look a lot sharper rceut.

I had the same sort of problem with my lovely FH because neither of us are particually wealthy so we shopped together so we both could see what styles we liked (he has to look at it everyday to) and what fit into the budget and then after seeing what his budget would allow it ended up getting extended when he fell for the same ring that I did.

I also bargined with our jeweller to get the best price that he could do.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 9:39:24 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
cflutist

yes, blame it all on your husband .how long did it take for him to convince you to buy the 10+ ct super bracelet ?
30.gif
30.gif
i'll say at least 2 minutes ,did he have to twist your arm really hard......LOL
9.gif
LOL!!! I wish it was that easy! Talk about a stubborn woman! It took almost a week to convince her that she could spend a few bucks on herself.....

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
emsmiled.gif

I am in awe of the beautiful diamonds that the members proudly own. I must know what the secret is to getting your other half to adorn you with AMAZING Bling?! I have a better half who just doesn''t get the whole ''thing'' about jewelry. He thinks it''s a big investment of $$$$ for no monetary return. He knows how much I would love a giant rock, but also knows that my financial sense can''t argue with his logic. Soooooo guys and gals.......how do you do it?! What''s the secret....I''m dying to know!
33.gif
Well, that is true.... Most people don''t buy their diamonds as investments but as things of great pleasure. The return I get from cflutist is not monetary at all, but when I see the smile on her face when she looks at her jewelry, I know I got my full value out of the purchase.

If he truly knows how much you would love a giant rock, and you can financially afford it, then he could be getting mega-hubbie points by suprising you one day.....

12.gif
11.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Preferences, preferences...

My husband and I (he''s 31, I''m 27) are just about to buy a 2.5 bedroom apartment in Manhattan. We also recently bought a car. We have a fetish for B&B Italia furniture and Poggen Pohl, and we don''t eat anywhere unless it scores a 23 or above on Zagat.

We all have our extravagances. My engagement ring, however, was not one of them. It cost $4000, a price my husband felt was more than adequate for such an item. Was I hurt? Sure, for a long time, but I''ve now come to accept that he''s not a diamond guy, never will be, and I''ll just have to save up my pennies for a lovely right hand ring some way down the line!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
My husband loves to buy me gifts and jewelry is easy for him, a veritable win-win for all (especially the jeweler
2.gif
). Clothing is too difficult--I am very picky and depending on the line, I can wear any one of three sizes, so it's a pain. I am not an electronics person and we're not big travelers....so by "limiting" his choices, he is "forced" to take the path of least resistance.
9.gif
3.gif
2.gif

sparker

Shiny_Rock
6.gif
emsmiled.gif

I am in awe of the beautiful diamonds that the members proudly own. I must know what the secret is to getting your other half to adorn you with AMAZING Bling?! I have a better half who just doesn''t get the whole ''thing'' about jewelry. He thinks it''s a big investment of $$$$ for no monetary return. He knows how much I would love a giant rock, but also knows that my financial sense can''t argue with his logic. Soooooo guys and gals.......how do you do it?! What''s the secret....I''m dying to know!
33.gif
Hi,

I was just chuckling to myself when I read your post. Review my posts from about mid July to about August. I too was wondeirng the same thing, although, I''m in the midst of raising three sons and buying tuition for college. I was coming up on our 25th anniversary and someone here on PS suggested I just go ahead and buy it myself and thats exactly what I did. I had a bit of a email exchange with my husband while he was at work. He asked me if I like bankrupsty ( he was kidding) and so with a email wink and a knod I went ahead and purchased a lovely diamond from GOG for a price I would have never gotten here in my home town. I say go to the dark side and GO FOR IT! I love my ring, admire it all the time and will never regret this purchase.

Suz

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greg calls my diamond purchases and the ones he has made on my behalf 'sunk costs'...
2.gif
Smart man! I don't know the secret, but as long as we are in a good financial position, he's open to 'suggestions'.
20.gif
Lucky for me he was raised with a mom and stepmom that love jewelry and would often get beautiful items from their respective hubbies, so it's not unheard of for him to actually want to buy it. He's the only man i have ever met like that...so i guess it's a good thing i married him (for reasons other than jewelry of course!!)
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
My husband just went to Mark T''s office yesterday to drop off $ for a side stone I wanted....Poor guy even took the subway from work downtown...He told me that it was a complete waste of money but that was the end of it. Dunno. He knows I don''t really spend $ on anything else...And of course, it''s worth it to him to shut me up I guess :)

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 8
6.gif
4:24 PM
Author: cflutist
For websailor and I there really is no secret. We are very similar in our spending habits in that we are very conservative. Except for my mortgage which I should have paid off in 5 years (its my house, websailor owns his own oceanfront property on the Mendocino coast) we don''t buy things unless we have the cash to pay for it (that goes for cars and diamonds also). It was painful for me the write the check when we purchased our last vehicle.

We have a rule in our household, we can buy anything we want under $500 without checking with the other. For items over $500, we discuss it together. Very rarely do we decide against what we want probably because we don''t buy a lot of things that we really don''t need (well except for diamonds
1.gif
).

I am the one who tends to be cheap with myself when it comes to jewelry. Websailor was the one who talked me into buying the 10.5 ct diamond tennis bracelet. I kept saying, well I really didn''t need it since I already had a 6.5 ct one. But he kept encouraging me saying that other than my e-ring, I have not bought much jewelry in 15 years.

Websailor is also the one who told me to have Richard Homer recut my sapphire. I was the one fussing over a couple hundred dollars and websailor said ''just do it''. Boy am I glad I listened to him (and Wink).

I guess I am really fortunate to have websailor as a husband. He is not into material things himself (he''d rather go hiking, backpacking, and camping, and gets excited over new hiking boots) but he does not deprive me of the things that he knows will make me happy.
What a wonderful marriage you and Web Sailor have
emsmile.gif
I realize it''s all in the priorities of the individual couples. My hubby has not denied me anything regarding a true passion, and after starting this thread I realized that. I think I would always bug him for gourgeous jewelry and then remember there was this beautiful antique chest I wanted and wanted that more than jewelry. I somehow just forgot about those things
11.gif
By the way, all of your pieces are sooo beautiful and I know very special to both of you. I especially like your tennis bracelet, truly a work of art
30.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone for sharing their story. After reading all your posts, I''ve decided that I just need to start stashing cash into a "diamond" fund if it''s something I truly want!!

Hubby just finished his private pilot''s license yesterday
36.gif
36.gif
Now he is looking at buying a plane and he''s not asking me for any money for that..........

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2004 11:19:15 AM
Author: Libster
After reading all your posts, I've decided that I just need to start stashing cash into a 'diamond' fund if it's something I truly want!!
Libster, good for you !!! And when you do decide to buy your next piece, you will think very hard about it to decide if it is something you really want. It is psychologically more difficult to write a check for a big ticket item than to just say "charge it" and pay for it later (well technically I use a credit card to preserve my chargeback rights, but will pay the bill off in its entirety when it arrives).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results