shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the real benefit of fluorescence, really??

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am starting to search for a new EC, an upgrade, in the 4ct range. In order to go this large my color needs to remain in the "I" range. I owned a 3ct EC, "I" color and loved it! But wondering...does fluorescence in diamonds only improve the color in direct sunlight? My diamond would only truly be in "direct" sunlight for maybe 10-20 minutes a day so this would not be something I would even look for unless it would improve the color in other lighting conditions. I always read/hear... fluorescence can improve a diamond color by two grades, and it's beneficial to seek flouresence in the "I" range. want to se the record straight! Thank you:)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure where you heard that, but I definitely do not believe it is true that fluorescence improves color by two grades. I have read here that if anything, the color grade might be inflated in the first place due to a tiny amount of UV lighting in the grading situation. As you said, only when UV light is present will there be any effect from the fluoro, and that is not often, so never buy with that idea of going lower in color because a stone has fluoro. My original diamond had medium fl., and I honestly didn't know for 25 years when a jeweler mentioned it when I was considering a reset. I never saw it.

An excellent article with more explanation is found here:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence

I really like fluoro bcause I think it is a beautiful natural phenomenon, but it is never something I look for with the idea of it improving color. I'd also go no lower than I color in a 4 ct EC. I'd buy with or without fluorescence.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only way I know of to "improve" color without buying a higher color grade is to get the best cut stone you can. Superideals often look whiter than their grades.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An I color is an I color no matter what people say...;))
Here is my wife's non fluor H vs my I VSB fluor under the sun. I can't see the difference indoor.
IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2842.JPG IMG_2837.JPG

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s what I thought... only in sunlight can it be seen. So definitely not going to make this a priority when I search for a new EC. Honestly, my I color 3 carat was white I can say almost 100% of the time. I think it was a really good cut, the only time I saw tad of yellow was when I was indoors against yellow or beige walls. Thanks everyone!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my wife's non fluor H vs my I VSB fluor under the sun. I can't see the difference indoor.

DF, this is a great comparison! :appl:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful stones!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you want any help? I don’t know your budget but did come across this one which looks fascinating on the video. https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/emerald-diamond-4.21-carat-i-if-yd2230709

Re fluorescence, I don’t have another large diamond to compare but I do suspect the strong fluoro adds beauty in ambient UV light. My diamond looks it’s best in the shade on a sunny day. It shines incredibly white. It is I with sbf. But, like I said, nothing to compare.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there was something said about fluorescence 'improving colour by a couple of grades' somewhere around, might not have been here but old stuff on the internet, but I don't think that's the case.

It adds interest to a diamond certainly and might have a slight effect on neutralising any warm tones a stone has in some lighting conditions, but that's all. Med to strong fluorescence isn't going to make an I colour look like a G or H.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I have read it several places... if you are looking for a G-J color diamonds look for medium to strong fluorescence to possible mask the warm tones. After doing more research, that doesn’t seem to be he case.

Scarsmum- thank you! That diamond does look beautiful, just out of my price range:( I think for now I’m just saving up to afford something in the 40k range. Hoping to get that needle in the haystack... I color, eye clean SI1, so might have to wait a bit;-)

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the consensus is that fluoro is a "cool effect" and that it may help mask yellow colors if you're in the presence of UV light but you shouldn't take strong fluoro to mean a consistent, all-the-time upgrade of 2 color grades.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there was something said about fluorescence 'improving colour by a couple of grades' somewhere around, might not have been here but old stuff on the internet, but I don't think that's the case.

It adds interest to a diamond certainly and might have a slight effect on neutralising any warm tones a stone has in some lighting conditions, but that's all. Med to strong fluorescence isn't going to make an I colour look like a G or H.

This exactly. A GIA I is still going to look like a GIA I fluorescence or not. But it is a cool effect when UV is present.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the others. The only big benefit I've seen about fluor is for savings purposes. My "I" ACA is most likely medium blue fluor (AGS called it "negligible", but that thing turns turquoise under my UV flashlight!) and I haven't noticed any color-enhancing benefits

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A cool thing about fluorescent diamonds is that they're just not consistent.
One MB can have very little effect on an I color, while another MB I colored diamond can definitely look whiter in just about any lighting situation bright enough to distinguish the small differences between G-H- and I color.
It's really a case by case basis

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And not all flour is blue, so that party trick might turn the stone pink, yellow or orange...though blue is admittedly the most common color. I really need one of each!

I was looking through the search function yesterday and filtering for Very Strong fluor (as GIA only specify colour after Faint, IIRC?) but the search engine doesn't specify fluor colour, and it's a faff looking at each stone's certificate in turn!!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was looking through the search function yesterday and filtering for Very Strong fluor (as GIA only specify colour after Faint, IIRC?) but the search engine doesn't specify fluor colour, and it's a faff looking at each stone's certificate in turn!!

You can run that search on rare carat

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's for disco dancing, raves, smoking pot in a room with a black light and black light posters. :lol:

Thankfully, I was born after these trends were over!:whistle:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A cool thing about fluorescent diamonds is that they're just not consistent.
One MB can have very little effect on an I color, while another MB I colored diamond can definitely look whiter in just about any lighting situation bright enough to distinguish the small differences between G-H- and I color.
It's really a case by case basis

Hi David,

Out of interest, how often would you say you notice that MB or SB can definitely have a beneficial effect on an I colour for example, enough to say with confidence that the stone faces up more like a G or H? Just so we know for the future and have these been modern rounds or fancy shapes please? It would be good to know for advising purposes so we can offer the best advice in such instances. x

Jello88

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm very new to PS and am just learning about fluorescence. Super interesting. Question... do stones with Medium to Strong Blue fluorescence actually sell for less? I tried to do a search online comparing stones with no fluorescence versus medium fluorescence and there wasn't a huge price difference. Also I've read that for super ideal cuts they won't allow stones any fluorescence...what is the reason for this?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very new to PS and am just learning about fluorescence. Super interesting. Question... do stones with Medium to Strong Blue fluorescence actually sell for less? I tried to do a search online comparing stones with no fluorescence versus medium fluorescence and there wasn't a huge price difference. Also I've read that for super ideal cuts they won't allow stones any fluorescence...what is the reason for this?

Hi Jello,

Fluorescence like with most things has gone in and out of favour and historically, some stones with it commanded a discount as there were those who turned their noses up at the thought of it. In more recent times and the wealth of knowledge now available to buyers, fluorescence no longer causes the controversy it once did, although some may beg to differ as some like the thought of it, appreciate seeing it occasionally or feel it adds interest to their stone. it is true that some Superideal brands would reject fluorescent stones, however Brian Gavin for example has his Blue line as he embraces that some buyers want fluorescent diamonds, so no hard and fast rules anymore. You might find some discounted still with strong blue and as long as there's no detrimental effects from it, that's great.

Further reading.

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/blue-fluorescent-diamonds-color-grading-issues

Jello88

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Lorelei! This is so interesting. I am so intrigued...I wish I had access to a bunch of diamonds with varying fluorescence to look at!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi David,

Out of interest, how often would you say you notice that MB or SB can definitely have a beneficial effect on an I colour for example, enough to say with confidence that the stone faces up more like a G or H? Just so we know for the future and have these been modern rounds or fancy shapes please? It would be good to know for advising purposes so we can offer the best advice in such instances. x

Hi Lorelei!!
Without a doubt such stones are pretty rare- maybe 20% of MB/SB...but that's a wild guess, I have not done a statistical study.
Back in my early days, at Harry Winston, this sort of stone in a higher color, ( D-E-F) was called a "premier". Such stones show an actual blue tint. They sold for a premium back then.
As Lorelei mentioned, fashion does change, and now such stones will be discounted as compared to inert stones.
I agree with Lorelei, there's no conflict between a "Super Ideal" cut and fluorescence. ( We've had super ideals with SB)
To be able to really see a consistent price difference, check on stones in high color clarity with no blue as compared to Medium and or Strong Blue. If you're looking at I-J colors, the general trend is far less discount for MB/SB as compared to colorless.

About the article Lorelei linked to- the conclusions are anything but agreed upon by experts. I find it to be misleading in a big way. Sorry:think:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results