shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most you would spend on a lab diamond?

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
For any stone, mined or lab, my personal current limit is $8,000.

That’s based on my savings and what I can afford to spend without noticing it or being stressed about it.

I don’t think diamonds are a good investment and I don’t like the idea of spending more than that on what’s essentially a fun shiny trinket.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
50% or less of Mined diamond equivalent.

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the most you would spend on a lab created diamond? I saw an insane asscher for 9 grand. Almost 4 carats. I don’t have that kind of money, but how high would you go?

I spent about 4500 for my 1.78 H VVS1. I love it, so.. for me it wasn’t an issue. It might have been too much for some for a LGD but I purchased from a vendor I trust completely.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my asscher from Jon for 5k. I wouldn't have been willing to spend that much on an LGD from a random vendor, but the custom cut and trust I have in Jon made it a great choice in the end.

pammbw

Rough_Rock
I think the answer to OP question is- whatever one can afford for a particular stone. My personal comfort zone would be 3-5k. I don't sell any of my jewelry so I don't worry about losing value.

I can also speak to the comparisons between lab diamonds and cultured pearls. Yes there are lots of low quality cultured pearls out there. BUT if you ever see a high quality flawless cultured pearl - worth thousands for just one pearl- it is breathtaking. The difference between a run if the mill pearl and a top of the market pearl will make you a pearl fanatic forever.

I do believe that quality will be a big factor in lab diamond pricing once the novelty wears off a bit. Yes there will always be the dealers in low quality mass market stuff, just like pearls but the high quality market will find it's niche and prosper.

hdo650

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is a 2.6ct radiant lab stone. My fiancé spent about 9k for the diamond. I have family members in the diamond industry and I’ve heard so many horror stories that I won’t buy natural stones so the cost of natural vs lab didn’t matter to me. But if I were to buy the same stone as a natural diamond, it would be around $30-40k.

I love my stone. It’s one of the prettiest, sparkliest stones I’ve ever seen, natural or lab. I know I’m never going to sell so the resale price or drop in price doesn’t matter much to me. I think all diamonds, natural or lab, aren’t a great investment unless you get something super rare so regardless of the type of diamond you buy, you will loose money.

In the future, I would like to get an upgrade RB solitaire around 4ct and I would probably want to spend around 20k for that, depending how much lab diamonds are going for at the time.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
hdo650

Can you please explain what might make for horror stories with natural diamonds? I'm not understanding. Thanks!

hdo650

Rough_Rock
hdo650

Can you please explain what might make for horror stories with natural diamonds? I'm not understanding. Thanks!

Terrible working conditions for workers, even in Canada which is supposed to be more ethical, sex trafficking of workers, forced slavery to work in mines, child labor, etc. My grandpa was in the Diamond industry and my uncle is a jeweler and has visited mines on a few different continents. After seeing how terrible the workers are treated, he started using only lab diamonds or vintage natural diamonds if the customer insisted the diamond be natural.

It’s better than it used to be because of the Kimberley Process but it’s still pretty bad. Here’s an article with some more info: https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/05/10/diamond-trade-still-fuels-human-suffering#

Just for the record, I’m not judging anyone who owns or wears natural diamonds. Lab diamonds aren’t perfect either and use a lot of energy and waste to create.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Terrible working conditions for workers, even in Canada which is supposed to be more ethical, sex trafficking of workers, forced slavery to work in mines, child labor, etc. My grandpa was in the Diamond industry and my uncle is a jeweler and has visited mines on a few different continents. After seeing how terrible the workers are treated, he started using only lab diamonds or vintage natural diamonds if the customer insisted the diamond be natural.

It’s better than it used to be because of the Kimberley Process but it’s still pretty bad. Here’s an article with some more info: https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/05/10/diamond-trade-still-fuels-human-suffering#

Just for the record, I’m not judging anyone who owns or wears natural diamonds. Lab diamonds aren’t perfect either and use a lot of energy and waste to create.

It really is not that simple hdo:
The Diamond Development Initiative have joined with Resolve and are helping up to a million artisanal miners.
And this experianced Valuer company help control Kimberely Process diamond flows and ensure miners and dealrers pay their fair share of taxes.
I support people and organisations that do things more than those that report on things.
Yes, Zimbabwe is a basket case - but in many more ways than only diamonds!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reply hdo!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't spend more than $1250 on a lab stone regardless of size, color, or cut.

I also wouldn't buy any gem or diamond with any regard for future resale value. I'd buy them because I want them

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results