shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most expensive setting that you ever trashed?

Jennyfromtherock

Rough_Rock
What a masterpiece, you could put a CS in it and turn it into a cocktail ring, it's superb!
Also, I understand why you chose to change it, makes total sense for everyday wear (the second one I mean).

I actually have looked for a sapphire for this setting. My jeweler put a garnet into it just to show me the setting with a colored stone and it was gorgeous!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Dancing Fire I had forgotten that you had anything but Ti tension rings!

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Forgive the phone pics but here you go. I call this setting my little work horse...it truly is equal parts beautiful and sturdy. That’s why I haven’t rushed into another reset. 65CBD3E4-F58F-4A4C-B726-186148F80262.jpeg

Which Stuller setting is this? I'm in love and I think I need it in rose gold. :lol:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i am truly lucky.
I had my first semi tension setting. i wanted that bar to be thinner to allow more light to enter the pavilion... They thinned the bar. when i got the ring i was excited and was trying those artisitic pictures with flowers etc... i dropped the ring on the paving..... The diamond became loose. I told the vendor what happened and she reset it for me (at no charge) with the right thickness of the bar.

So, truly very lucky!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
My first tension setting made from 500 fine palladium costed me 2300 bucks... ;(

& Ti is the best for tension...

Boone's 'Elipse' is calling my name; I keep wondering why no one makes bangles this way.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Ug, I dont know if you can consider it "trashed" because I was able to sell it, but cost was about $3900 just for the setting and i sold it for $2500 with an august vintage moissy in it that has cost $1200, so i took quite a hit! It was a huge learning experience though and it set me up to know exactly what to do for next time, which turned out exactly as I wanted!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is it! Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. This is a popular setting so if you search the forums I’m sure you can get more ideas with different sized stones.

I used this setting as a temp setting and liked it so much I never reset the diamond. For my particular stone, I had the prongs made smaller by the bench when he set it 658109 593144

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that I’m a serial resetter, but I don’t destroy my settings. Also, I buy them stock so they aren’t terribly expensive and I’ve beenable to sell them on eBay for 60 to 70 percent of the price paid and a few times I break even. I used to trade them up, but now I just keep them Bc I get bored often and it’s hard to find a stock setting for a 2.5 carat. I just swapped out my stone last week and set it in a setting that I had only worn a few months, so I saved money there!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I know that I’m a serial resetter, but I don’t destroy my settings. Also, I buy them stock so they aren’t terribly expensive and I’ve beenable to sell them on eBay for 60 to 70 percent of the price paid and a few times I break even. I used to trade them up, but now I just keep them Bc I get bored often and it’s hard to find a stock setting for a 2.5 carat. I just swapped out my stone last week and set it in a setting that I had only worn a few months, so I saved money there!

I’d love to see pictures of some of your resets!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I used this setting as a temp setting and liked it so much I never reset the diamond. For my particular stone, I had the prongs made smaller by the bench when he set it 658109 593144

Beautiful! What’s the setting on the other finger? Looks like two that I’m deciding between!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mammajemmy, the other setting is Tiffany.
Of the two, the Tiffany setting shows more of the lower part of the diamond.
The Stuller setting hides the lower part of the diamond because I had him set it low for practical reasons, so in this case, the culet is almost touches my finger even though it might appear that the diamond is set in the top half of the head.
I hope you can find other examples to help with your decision. Either one would look great!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Mammajemmy, the other setting is Tiffany.
Of the two, the Tiffany setting shows more of the lower part of the diamond.
The Stuller setting hides the lower part of the diamond because I had him set it low for practical reasons, so in this case, the culet is almost touches my finger even though it might appear that the diamond is set in the top half of the head.
I hope you can find other examples to help with your decision. Either one would look great!

Thanks! That’s interesting! The Stuller looks so much taller to me in the picture. Both are beautiful!

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I have the same setting for a half carat transitional. I love the style and the durability. I get compliments all the time as it makes my stone look bigger and brighter. The best part is the pricing - I paid approximately $350 CAD with setting fees. Do a search on the site for stuller crown or stuller 122004- there are lots around.

Last edited:

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I have the same setting for a half carat transitional. I love the style and the durability. I get compliments all the time as it makes my stone look bigger and brighter. The best part is the pricing - I paid approximately $350 CAD with setting fees. Do a search on the site for stuller crown or stuller 122004- there are lots around.

I’d love to see pictures! Did Stuller do the setting of the stone? Also, did you make custom changes or why the CAD?

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I’d love to see pictures! Did Stuller do the setting of the stone? Also, did you make custom changes or why the CAD?

The CAD is Canadian dollars :)
I will look for some better photos.

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
Haha. Got it!
Here are some pics. It was set at Bill leBoeuf Jewellers in Barrie,Ontario, Canada. It was my own stone - 0.52 ct. 5.5 mm. I made no modifications except to ask for delicate prongs. I didn’t want claw prongs. The diamond is nothing exceptional - flat top with a big table...but this setting shows it off well! The tapered band is lovely - delicate but strong because of the height. I really like the height too.

E20D5112-64EA-4E6D-8BF1-B84EEA1837AE.jpeg 50EBD41E-8AAC-4C44-B9F6-AAD8A99C3C3F.jpeg 6E9ACAEC-9B37-4DB1-B878-3C5CD783F54C.jpeg E595B940-CD7E-4CF3-8892-99B464BAEDC4.jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Muskok, both the diamond and its setting are very pretty. The diamond has a great pattern, too.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@muskokathompson , love the basket of your ring - it's like a little crown holding up a precious jewel!

@nala , do you have any decent setters to recommend? So far my local ones have done very shitty jobs and they also charge through the nose too.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@muskokathompson , love the basket of your ring - it's like a little crown holding up a precious jewel!

@nala , do you have any decent setters to recommend? So far my local ones have done very shitty jobs and they also charge through the nose too.

Are you in So Cal?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results