shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the max temperature that diamonds and gold be exposed to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I would like to know if 18karat yellow gold and diamonds can withstand fire/flames?
What is the max temperature they can stand and what is the temerature of fire? Please supply all answers in celsius degrees.

angryfire.gif

Hodne

Rough_Rock
Try getting it off with soap and water first!
rodent.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/8/2003 6:45:19 AM Toska wrote:

I would like to know if 18karat yellow gold and diamonds can withstand fire/flames?
What is the max temperature they can stand and what is the temerature of fire? Please supply all answers in celsius degrees.

angryfire.gif
----------------

Werrrrrrrry technical... ! One thing I know: regular jewelry solderins is hot ehough to cook diamonds: the "processed" goods look white&lifeless or at all. I hope this is not what you ultimately want to know.
2.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds will burn at around 850 C, 1562 F. A house fire or torch can get that hot. I'm not sure about gold's specifically.

Hodne

Rough_Rock
18K yellow gold will melt at 912.7777777777778o Celcius (1675 degrees Farenheit).
14K yellow gold melt's at 843.3333333333334o Celcius (1550 degrees Farenheit).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum 1768.3 °C (3214.9 °F) depending on who you believe.

click

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most house fired diamonds I have seen only need the outside repolished = 1-2% weght loss.

Diamonds are regularly heated to white hot to the melting point of gold and platinum solders (about 50 degrees lower than the melting points quoted) in the retipping of prongs process. But to do this without fire damage the stone is coated in a flux of boracic acid (applied in a metho mix) or borax. This stops oxygen coming in contact with the diamond and forming a whitish stain on the stones facets. If the flux is not evenly applied, or it is contaminated the stone can be "fire stained" which makes a facet look cloudy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results