shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the longest you have ever had registered mail take?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Ugg, I am freaking out. I mailed something registered mail a week ago and the person has not gotten it yet! Its something of value and sentiment. My grandma had given me a bunch of jewelery over the past few years and one piece I decided to give to my aunt (grandma''s daughter) since I don''t wear it and my aunt would.

It went out a week ago today. I actually sent it a week ago from last Saturday but the post office told me it was too late for it to go out that day it would go out Monday. So its officially been a week. Its traveling about 1,300 miles.

When should I start freaking out because I am freaking out now.

My aunt is not too happy either! We have not told grandma that I mailed the watch or she would freak out too.

Worst part is when I try and track it, the number on my reciept is smudged so I can''t even make out the exact tracking number. And when I type in what I think is the right number I get a no information is available status.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
What type of registered mail is it? If it was priority it usually takes 2-3 days, but I have seen it take 4-5. If it was regular old registered mail...it can take a few weeks sometimes I think. But I usually do priority...so my other estimate may not be great.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
10 days from TN to Richard sherwood in Florida. it was torture waiting but it made it just fine. your items are probably moving by truck which is what''s taking so long. try not to worry, I''m sure it will arrive safe and sound.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine the distance is making it take longer. It''ll probably get there in the next day or so.

Whatever happened with your new diamond studs? I didn''t ever see you post pictures! Do you love them????

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I think the trick is to mail priority registered mail that way it usually makes it where its going in 3-4 days. Try not to freak out too much, if it is a worst case scenario there isn''t anything you can do about it anyhow!

Its comical that the USPS offers package tracking -- there are only two steps in the tracking process -- once its received at the post office where you dropped it off, and then once its received. Not much in the way of updates.....

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
Try not to worry
I mailed something on a Saturday from Florida to Atlanta Priority Registered Mail
It still took 8 days!!!
Registered mail is the safest >It is rare that it will not get there

Also where is it travelling?/ Remember some parts of the country have been hit by bad weather ,ice etc and that may delay it slightly if that is a factor

You will be back in a day or two to let us know it arrived

35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was told that registered mail is registered mail...there is no different rate for priority.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does seem to take a long time, but it always gets there!! Longest it took me was 8 days but there was a holiday in there...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen it take 2 weeks.
20.gif
32.gif

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I once had a package take 14 days! I sent a pair of loose diamonds from California to Quest jewelers in Virginia...I think they are in Virginia...LOL...I can''t remember anymore. I was so worried.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 10:01:08 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I was told that registered mail is registered mail...there is no different rate for priority.

me too. my postal worker told me I could pay the difference for priority but all registered mail items go into the same bag and travel at whatever pace what's in the bag is going. I've also sent something from TN to VA and it only took 2 days, you just don't know...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
5 days from Atlanta to NM and 5 days from NM to Indiana

Kev when I mailed registered they didn't have priority. Was that with the US mail???

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 10:21:40 PM
Author: Skippy123
5 days from Atlanta to NM and 5 days from NM to Indiana

Kev when I mailed registered they didn''t have priority. Was that with the US mail???
Yup, I sent it from Chicago to MM in Massachussets. I believe it took 5 days, and I sent it via priority registered mail. Well, the sales clerk took my money for it being priority, but who knows if it actually traveled priority. Apparently they register the mail each step of the way, and it is always in a lockbox as it travels from location to location. I could care less how it travelled as long as it was insured as far as I care... but the original poster here has an item that has sentimental value as well as monetary value. I was just sending a loose stone.

I really wish you could send via fedex!

By the way, I owe you all a few pictures since you were all so helpful in picking out the stone and the design. I will start a new thread :) Its taken a lot longer than I anticipated though!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had it take 3 weeks, but that was from Hong Kong...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
At the post office they told me the reason it takes so long is that the process is so controlled and the package is signed for by each step of the way. meaning the post office signs it over to the truck it gets in. That truck then signs it over to another truck out of it''s jurisdiction, then the truck must sign it over to the regional post office, who then signs it over, etc etc. Rest assured it is longer, but much safer, plus the convenience of having $25,000 of insurance available to you, versus the $5K insurance for Priority mail.

Patience and try breathing!
9.gif

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
10 days from NY to CA.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
7 days from Chicago to Philadelphia and I even had the people send the item using "Priority Mail". Do not fall for the postal scam of Priority Mail when sending light weight Registered Mail shipments. Just say NO and use first class postage. It makes no difference in delivery speed.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 7:25:20 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Not everyone thinks the post office is slow. My local branch here in Denver just got a commendation from President Grant himself.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
9.gif
9.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I mailed FL to TX twice. The first time it got there overnight. The second time it took 2 days.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
11 days from NY to Boston. A call from the postmaster saying the tiny registered mail package slid behind a counter and they couldn''t find it
for days. We''re all humanoids
4.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 7:38:49 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
11 days from NY to Boston. A call from the postmaster saying the tiny registered mail package slid behind a counter and they couldn''t find it
for days. We''re all humanoids
4.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
I have heard of this happening and smaller packages do get lost more easily than larger ones. For this reason, I always suggest packing it larger than necessary.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 7:25:20 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Not everyone thinks the post office is slow. My local branch here in Denver just got a commendation from President Grant himself.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
hehehehehe
emthup.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It took 10 working days for my registered mail to reach its destination. It is the safest method of mail because everyone who touches has to sign so it can be tracked. Also tampering with registered mail is a Federal offense. Tampering with UPS or FedEx packages is not. It is the cheapest and safest BUT takes the longest!

adrienne10

Rough_Rock
I have no expereince with Registered Mail, but I have found that with other types of USPS mail, the tracking information is not available until after it has been delivered! I''m not sure if that''s the case with Registered mail as well, but just wanted to mention it...

I sure hope your package arrives soon!!!

- Adrienne

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 12:35:13 AM
Author: adrienne10
I have no expereince with Registered Mail, but I have found that with other types of USPS mail, the tracking information is not available until after it has been delivered! I''m not sure if that''s the case with Registered mail as well, but just wanted to mention it...

I sure hope your package arrives soon!!!

- Adrienne
According to the USPS that IS the case for Registered. Priority supposedly can be tracked online through the process of shipping, but registered CAN NOT. Only confirmation is in delivery.

But then again, it is signed for each pass, so why can''t they track that with all those signatures, it could be done electronically and see WHO signed for it...ahhhh, alas...that makes sense and we ARE talking about a major bureaucracy here...
20.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 9:18:13 PM
Author:asscherisme
Ugg, I am freaking out. I mailed something registered mail a week ago and the person has not gotten it yet! Its something of value and sentiment. My grandma had given me a bunch of jewelery over the past few years and one piece I decided to give to my aunt (grandma''s daughter) since I don''t wear it and my aunt would.

It went out a week ago today. I actually sent it a week ago from last Saturday but the post office told me it was too late for it to go out that day it would go out Monday. So its officially been a week. Its traveling about 1,300 miles.

When should I start freaking out because I am freaking out now.

My aunt is not too happy either! We have not told grandma that I mailed the watch or she would freak out too.

Worst part is when I try and track it, the number on my reciept is smudged so I can''t even make out the exact tracking number. And when I type in what I think is the right number I get a no information is available status.
I really dislike using registered mail, even though it is the most secure. Here in Boise it is not at all unusual for a package to take two to three weeks to arrive, although some times it takes only two or three days. It is safe, but it is SSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWW!

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Worst delivery for me ever, not registered mail though, two and one half years.

Yes, years.

Client returned two stones to me, not registered, not insured. sent out by husband who thought, what the heck, registered is too expensive. Four thousand dollars later he is convinced I am a crook for taking the stones and saying they did not arrive. I even gave them the stones at my actual cost as I did not want to profit from his bad decision on the mailing. They had chosen one to mount and were returning the other to me.

Two and a half years later the package arrives. The post office gave me a possible explaination. Sometimes the box does not fall out of the bag when the bag is dumped for sorting. The bags are then tossed in a pile to be reused. If the bag was near the bottom of the pile it might not get used for years if more bags come in to a station than go out. Then when the bag is finally reused the package comes out the next time the bag is dumped which probably explained the Portland, Oregon postmark, with another mark from Philly before being received in Boise. Chances are it actually was received in Boise, sent to Philly two and a half years later then marked and resent to Boise. Still, at least now the couple has two very nice stones actually purchased at cost...

Wink''s strange but true department

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
She got it late yesterday! She left me a message on my cell phone last night and my cell was in my car so I did not hear it until this morning when I brought my kiddies to school. I wish I heard it last night, it would have saved me one more night of panicking.

Thanks for all the replies. PHew!!

Chalk this up to another sllloooowwww registered mail story.

When I bought something from blue nile a few years ago and sent it back registered mail, it got there in a few days.

Also, during my ring changes and earring changes, just a few days. So I guess I was lucky! But bottom line is all the things I have mailed have gotten there safe eventually.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Wink, WOW, what a story about 2 1/2 years. Thats truely pennywise and dollar foolish on the part of the mailing customer. You must have been totally shocked when that package showed up!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results