shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the largest ring/studs/tennis bracelet you’ve ever seen someone else wear in real life?

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
A few years ago I was at a party with a recently engaged acquaintance who happily showed off her new ring. It was HUGE to the point that I thought “that can’t be real” but it’s none of my business and bride was over the moon, so I said nothing. Before the end of the evening bride noticed that several of the pave stones had fallen out since her arrival...cue frantic search on hands and knees by all the guests in the carpeting, to no avail. She started crying and called her fiancé in a mad panic and HE started sobbing hysterically; then she called her mother who told her to dump the guy who bought her a fake ring, which only made her more panicked, and I’m not sure what the result was other than we never found any of the melee in the carpet.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, a 7.5ct pear would be so utterly delicious! The finger coverage!! And I like how you say “tiny” for your 3.66 emerald cut. Only on PS (not even the purview of this thread) could someone make a statement like that :lol:

OM gosh I didn't even realize I wrote that lol

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like Oprah’ s diamond stud earrings with pear drops. I bet those are each 5 carat Studs with 7 + carat pear drops ? Anyone know the stats?

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
For rings, I would say a stone between 3-3.5 carats, worn by a woman sitting at an adjacent table at a coffee shop. The 2 carat I can remember, from my grandmother's wedding ring "upgrade" she purchased in the 1960s, is an approximate reference. I also saw a 7 carat OEC in the Lang Antiques store window years ago but never touched it. :lol:

wifelife

Rough_Rock
Larger diamonds are not the norm here. I live in a beach town in Australia, about an hour outside of a capital city.

I’ve never seen anyone wear a tennis bracelet. Diamond studs are probably no more that 0.5ct absolutely max. Engagement rings well under a carat.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, in my town (and extended family), I know of no one who has upgraded their engagement ring, even those who are quite wealthy. So most have a 1 ct diamond max from when they got engaged in their early 20's. I have a friend who is a widow who married a widower recently and I'd say her ring is 1.5-2 cts. I haven't asked. Another friend has a 2+ ct EC. Once I was at a friend's house and one of her neighbors had on a solitaire that I'd guess was about 5 cts. I'd say in the Southeast, there generally are not a lot of large diamonds. And it is interesting to hear so many people say they don't see diamond tennis bracelets worn by others, because now that I think about it, I don't either!!! No one would recognize my VCA, either, and that's fine by me. I wear it because I love it and think it's beautiful, and really would prefer for others not to know the cost.

@m-2-b has the largest diamond rings and studs of any of my jewelry friends that I see in person, although @brightice has had a 7 ct OMC, but I have not had the chance to see that one!

Pictured below are @m-2-b's 5 ct AVC in SK halo, I think a 4.5 ct ACA solitaire that has since been upgraded, her studs that were about the same size as my 2.3 ct e-ring which is on my middle finger! So, so gorgeous!!!

2014-06-07 11.34.26.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and in our professional and social circles replete with high earners with tons of seven-figure homes and six-figure autos and other spendy indulgences, I have never seen any of the following in the wild: 1) tennis bracelet of any size; 2) diamond solitaire > 2 cts (guessing); 3) diamond studs > (maybe) 1.5 cts each; or 4) colored-stone ring that the typical PSer would covet.

Quoting myself!

Note: we do not have a seven-figure home or a six-figure auto, but many with our careers do. We have a six-figure home and five-figure autos, although mine is officially down to four figures...and falling...

I have seen way more five-figure mountain bikes than rings.

Plenty of nice watches on the men -- almost all SS Rolex.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in Australia, we don't tend to see huge diamonds. I live along the coast about an hour south of Melbourne, and it seems that most of the wealth here goes into cars, beach homes and private schools. I'm the only person I know with a diamond tennis bracelet.

I was in Melbourne CBD last week, and visited a jeweller (well, many jewellers), and saw a lady at the counter making a purchase. Her e-ring was a RB solitaire that must have been about 5 carats in a classic 6-prong setting (yes I scooched in that close :bigsmile:), it was just beautiful. She was very casually dressed in jeans and t-shirt, but wore it beautifully. That's easily the biggest diamond I've ever seen on someone in real life.

I remember a woman who came in to the ER incredibly sick and her ring was gorgeous. Looked like a 5 ct-ish OEC. I remember telling her family that they should take it off her hand for safekeeping (she was unconscious) and I gave them a lidded container to put it in.

Oh a really big OEC would be lovely! Especially if it had the lovely flowery pattern in the middle.

In the mid 1990's I lived in Zurich, Switzerland, and some of the stores along the Bahnhofstrasse were incredible. I remember trying on a fancy yellow emerald cut tennis bracelet that was over one million US dollars! (This would have been 1996 or 97.) I was just a poor 20-something who was browsing and made a comment that it looked pretty in the case. The store owner didn't bat an eye and suggested I try it on. I didn't know how much it cost until after it was on my wrist! Would love to know how much that piece would cost in today's market! I don't remember much about it other than it was vintage, the diamonds were a lovely bright lemon yellow, and each diamond looked to be well over two carats. I didn't know enough about diamonds at the time to ask any of the stats. That was definitely the most amazing jewelry piece I've ever seen in person outside of a museum.

I absolutely love Zürich, one of my favourite cities in the world! I love walking along the Bahnhofstrasse staring into each and every store. That bracelet sounds beyond divine - I would die to have that on my wrist!!

A few years ago I was at a party with a recently engaged acquaintance who happily showed off her new ring. It was HUGE to the point that I thought “that can’t be real” but it’s none of my business and bride was over the moon, so I said nothing. Before the end of the evening bride noticed that several of the pave stones had fallen out since her arrival...cue frantic search on hands and knees by all the guests in the carpeting, to no avail. She started crying and called her fiancé in a mad panic and HE started sobbing hysterically; then she called her mother who told her to dump the guy who bought her a fake ring, which only made her more panicked, and I’m not sure what the result was other than we never found any of the melee in the carpet.

Thank god the centre stone didn’t fall out! I know someone to whom that has happened (she found her stone though, thankfully)!
I do like Oprah’ s diamond stud earrings with pear drops. I bet those are each 5 carat Studs with 7 + carat pear drops ? Anyone know the stats?

I don’t know the stats but if she was ever willing to give them away... I’d take them off her hands....

For rings, I would say a stone between 3-3.5 carats, worn by a woman sitting at an adjacent table at a coffee shop. The 2 carat I can remember, from my grandmother's wedding ring "upgrade" she purchased in the 1960s, is an approximate reference. I also saw a 7 carat OEC in the Lang Antiques store window years ago but never touched it. :lol:

3-3.5 is a great size I think! Big enough to wear everyday while still making a huge statement.
Okay, in my town (and extended family), I know of no one who has upgraded their engagement ring, even those who are quite wealthy. So most have a 1 ct diamond max from when they got engaged in their early 20's. I have a friend who is a widow who married a widower recently and I'd say her ring is 1.5-2 cts. I haven't asked. Another friend has a 2+ ct EC. Once I was at a friend's house and one of her neighbors had on a solitaire that I'd guess was about 5 cts. I'd say in the Southeast, there generally are not a lot of large diamonds. And it is interesting to hear so many people say they don't see diamond tennis bracelets worn by others, because now that I think about it, I don't either!!! No one would recognize my VCA, either, and that's fine by me. I wear it because I love it and think it's beautiful, and really would prefer for others not to know the cost.

@m-2-b has the largest diamond rings and studs of any of my jewelry friends that I see in person, although @brightice has had a 7 ct OMC, but I have not had the chance to see that one!

Pictured below are @m-2-b's 5 ct AVC in SK halo, I think a 4.5 ct ACA solitaire that has since been upgraded, her studs that were about the same size as my 2.3 ct e-ring which is on my middle finger! So, so gorgeous!!!

2014-06-07 11.34.26.jpg

Oh my word, @m-2-b, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more spectacular collection! How utterly GORGEOUS! I love that AVC especially!!

Larger diamonds are not the norm here. I live in a beach town in Australia, about an hour outside of a capital city.

I’ve never seen anyone wear a tennis bracelet. Diamond studs are probably no more that 0.5ct absolutely max. Engagement rings well under a carat.

Here in Australia, we don't tend to see huge diamonds. I live along the coast about an hour south of Melbourne, and it seems that most of the wealth here goes into cars, beach homes and private schools. I'm the only person I know with a diamond tennis bracelet.

I was in Melbourne CBD last week, and visited a jeweller (well, many jewellers), and saw a lady at the counter making a purchase. Her e-ring was a RB solitaire that must have been about 5 carats in a classic 6-prong setting (yes I scooched in that close :bigsmile:), it was just beautiful. She was very casually dressed in jeans and t-shirt, but wore it beautifully. That's easily the biggest diamond I've ever seen on someone in real life.

It’s interesting how different attitudes around jewelry can be in different places - Australia and most of Europe are similar in that big stones and jewelry aren’t the norm, but in HK or India (if you can afford it) people wear huge rocks.

That 5ct MRB in the simple solitaire setting sounds like my jam though! I would love that!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people where large bling here in Houston, from engagement rings to tennis bracelets to very large diamond hoop earrings.

I remember seeing a lady sitting in front of me at an Astros game with a humungous diamond tennis bracelet. I think it may have been new because she kept stealthily steeling looks at it. So did I! :)

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A few years ago I had a client who would come in wearing lululemons or Stella McCartney gym wear with a patek Philippe gold watch, white gold Cartier love bracelet, what looked to be a 2-3 carat diamond tennis bracelet, massive diamond hoops (I’d hazard a guess at 5 carats) a MRB diamond pendant about 2-3 carats and the most amazing asscher diamond solitaire diamond ring that looked to be 8-10 carats. Now we all know asschers are cut deep and it covered the whole top of her finger!! It took every ounce of professionalism to not gawp at her like an imbecile. Please note I live in the uk where you don’t often see people where this much jewellery at once.

I am in LA and all I ever see is high end fashion jewelry?

Somehow I would’ve expected a lot of big bling in LA given all the celebs that live there! I believe that is where Bling Empire is set.

A lot of people where large bling here in Houston, from engagement rings to tennis bracelets to very large diamond hoop earrings.

I remember seeing a lady sitting in front of me at an Astros game with a humungous diamond tennis bracelet. I think it may have been new because she kept stealthily steeling looks at it. So did I! :)

oh I loooove diamond hoop earrings! Also if I’d been at that game I probably would’ve also been stealthily stealing looks at that lady’s bracelet :D I catch myself admiring my jewelry often when I’m wearing it!

A few years ago I had a client who would come in wearing lululemons or Stella McCartney gym wear with a patek Philippe gold watch, white gold Cartier love bracelet, what looked to be a 2-3 carat diamond tennis bracelet, massive diamond hoops (I’d hazard a guess at 5 carats) a MRB diamond pendant about 2-3 carats and the most amazing asscher diamond solitaire diamond ring that looked to be 8-10 carats. Now we all know asschers are cut deep and it covered the whole top of her finger!! It took every ounce of professionalism to not gawp at her like an imbecile. Please note I live in the uk where you don’t often see people where this much jewellery at once.

Whoa nelly! That sounds even more impressive given that it’s the UK! I would’ve flipped for the diamond hoops, the Patek watch, and of course, the ASSCHER! Can’t imagine how big it would’ve had to be to cover the top of her finger!!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend (local to me) that wears a lot of bling. I do fear she is going to be robbed at gunpoint, it's that much! The list below is her normal daily bling...sometimes it's more than this.

ER - 8ct pear, set very high with pave band.
Left-hand pinky, vintage cluster, large!
Watch - Rolex or Concord with diamond bezel Or the Chanel J watch
3 tennis bracelets, stacked on right arm. Maybe a 4ct, at 7ct and a 12ct
Right-hand ring and a pinky - always large and blingy
Studs - 3ct each or large diamond hoops
Diamond Rivera (tennis) necklace. Graduated in size, have no idea the ct weight but it is very noticeable. And often another pave custom necklace.

It is a lot of jewelry and it gets much attention. I know she loves her jewelry and I don't blame her but I would be scared wearing this much $$$ !

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I work in Beverly Hills. Back when we I used to be able to go to lunch, I'd see some massive pieces worn by ladies. I never even ventured a guess.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Lady Gaga Wore 20 carat studs during super bowl 10 carats each each

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was at a Body Pump class at 24 Hour Fitness, almost 10 years ago. And this woman was wearing a whole VCA set. Magic Pave pendant, and sweet pave Alhambra earrings, and a three stone oval ring with a center that was close to 3 carats, and a five stone ring. I think that's where my love of sweet pave Alhambra studs started.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Somehow I would’ve expected a lot of big bling in LA given all the celebs that live there! I believe that is where Bling Empire is set.

oh I loooove diamond hoop earrings! Also if I’d been at that game I probably would’ve also been stealthily stealing looks at that lady’s bracelet :D I catch myself admiring my jewelry often when I’m wearing it!

Whoa nelly! That sounds even more impressive given that it’s the UK! I would’ve flipped for the diamond hoops, the Patek watch, and of course, the ASSCHER! Can’t imagine how big it would’ve had to be to cover the top of her finger!!

Yes that is why I am perplexed ! Where is the eye candy!? LOL

I have a friend (local to me) that wears a lot of bling. I do fear she is going to be robbed at gunpoint, it's that much! The list below is her normal daily bling...sometimes it's more than this.

ER - 8ct pear, set very high with pave band.
Left-hand pinky, vintage cluster, large!
Watch - Rolex or Concord with diamond bezel Or the Chanel J watch
3 tennis bracelets, stacked on right arm. Maybe a 4ct, at 7ct and a 12ct
Right-hand ring and a pinky - always large and blingy
Studs - 3ct each or large diamond hoops
Diamond Rivera (tennis) necklace. Graduated in size, have no idea the ct weight but it is very noticeable. And often another pave custom necklace.

It is a lot of jewelry and it gets much attention. I know she loves her jewelry and I don't blame her but I would be scared wearing this much $$$ !

Ooh that 8ct pear sounds like heaven - I love pears! Probably my second favourite shape after ECs. I wouldn’t wear it set too high though because I’d be afraid of breaking it!!

strangely I don’t like pinky rings unless they’re really subtle (and on myself not at all) - I think they have a tendency to not look balanced on the hand. So I’d probably be rooting to reset her pinky rings to pointer rings instead ;-)

But the rest of her stuff - sign me up!! I love big studs and tennis necklaces!

I work in Beverly Hills. Back when we I used to be able to go to lunch, I'd see some massive pieces worn by ladies. I never even ventured a guess.

What’s the most memorable thing you saw? If you remember?

I was at a Body Pump class at 24 Hour Fitness, almost 10 years ago. And this woman was wearing a whole VCA set. Magic Pave pendant, and sweet pave Alhambra earrings, and a three stone oval ring with a center that was close to 3 carats, and a five stone ring. I think that's where my love of sweet pave Alhambra studs started.

Oh wow! I don’t know how people work out in jewelry though - I’m such a klutz I’d be afraid of breaking my pieces!

The magic pave pendant is GORGEOUS though!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results