shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the ideal Asscher cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a 3+ carat asscher cut for an engagement ring. I had never even heard of this style diamond before my girlfriend referred to them as her "all time favorite". What is your opinion regarding these diamonds? Are colorless a waste of money? Will anyone ever notice VS2, or is VVS1 and VVS2 not money well spent when it could go to larger carat weight?

Here''s what I''m thinking. What would you recommend assuming price was no issue and why? I gave ranges, but would prefer specificity in your response.

Carat - 3.00 - 4.00
Color - Considering D - H, leaning towards F - G
Clarity - VVS1 - VS2, leaning towards VVS2 - VS1
Polish and Sym - Ex, Ex - Vg, Vg, leaning towards Ex, Ex
Depth - 68% - 71%
Table - ?

This site and its member are a godsend for the laymen. Thanks a million!

coreyzat

Rough_Rock
I would recommend using the emerald format on the DIY cut advisor. I used it on the an asscher and it was perfect.

If it comes down to a choice between clarity and color, I'd go for the higher clarity. It's easier to see an inclusion on an asscher than a different stone of comparable clarity. In any case, make sure it's 100% eye clean, because that's not a guarantee even with a VS1.

Oh, and 3+ carats!!! wow!
Corey Z

PS - With Asschers you want to see the stone in person. The numbers don't always give you a great idea about how exactly the stone will look.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
--------------
Carat - 3.00 - 4.00
Color - Considering D - H, leaning towards F - G
Clarity - VVS1 - VS2, leaning towards VVS2 - VS1
Polish and Sym - Ex, Ex - Vg, Vg, leaning towards Ex, Ex
Depth - 68% - 71%
Table - ?
--------------

Classic Asscher proportions:

Depth: 65-70% neighborhood
Table: 55-65% neighborhood
Crown height: 12-17% neighborhood
Outline: Large cut corners, with shape tending towards "stop sign" outline
Face up "look": Cut corners produce larger "windmill type" reflection pattern
........................Depth produces concentric square "house of mirrors" reflection pattern
Side view: Slightly bulging pavilion
Symmetry & polish above "very good / very good" is rare

I like your F-G choice, and would consider VS1-VS2 a good and practical choice of clarity.

It's good to remember though that a lot of the "generic Asschers" (square emerald cuts) are quite beautiful in their own right. Although their proportions might deviate from the "classic Asscher" profile, they can still be works of art that many choose above classic Assher features.

The attached photo shows a "generic Asscher" (square emerald cut) on the left, and a stone with more "classic Asscher" features on the right.

DSC00204.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
so do the "classic asschers" always have that stop sign shape? (i love that!
love.gif
)

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
Where do I get one like the one on the right in your asscher image? Any ideas?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Reena- Yes, the "classic" Asscher proportions are wide cut corners with a more "octagonalish" outline.

Orange_Horse- The Asscher pictured originated from WhiteFlash.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rich:

Your side by side photo of the two styles is excellent. The true Asscher has a deep look to it, while the "imitation", which happens in this case to be very nice, too, looks more sparkly, but somewhat flatter (less deep). The True Asscher has less sparkle, but better visible definition of its shape, a higher amount of "intensity".

In the end, one must choose one look over the other, as you cannot get it all in one diamond. Different looks are what makes people with different tastes and budgets happy. Is one better than the other? That's really up to people who want to buy one or the other. Prices reflect supply and demand in a pretty accurate way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results