shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the effect of lazer inscribing on clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MDE

Rough_Rock
I can buy a diamond graded Flawless and wonder if lazer inscribing would reduce to grade to Internality Flawless.

My logic is may be said that the inclusion of an etching would render the diamond no longer externally flawless as would lazer drilling

A bit of help from the experts would be appreciated

Harry

lacina

Shiny_Rock
9.gif
9.gif

Harry,

Laser inscription is NOT an inclusion,...
Your Flawless diamond will still be Flawless!
I uderstand your point, but there are more properties to a diamond
you should be concerned about. Not the inscribtion on the girdle.

George
GLE Gem Inports

optimized

Shiny_Rock
You know, harrytap brings up a good point though. I can see both sides of the argument, but to my way of thinking, any diamond that actually rated the extremely rare "flawless" clarity rating probably should be downgraded to "internally flawless" if laser inscribed. It would seem to me that if polish lines (which, like inscribing, is not really a natural "blemish") and surface graining (a natural blemish) kill a FL rating, doing an invasive etching to the diamond ought to as well. Just because it's intentional doesn't mean that it isn't detrimental to the finish of the stone, IMO. Now, I hasten to add that I'm not saying lacina is wrong (by any stretch), but rather the FL rating is a bit whacked out. After all, flawless is flawless, and a bunch of text running around the girdle would seem to mess up that distinction. Besides, "internally flawless" is still pretty darn hard to come by anyway.
1.gif

My $0.02

-Tim

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Naturals and laser inscriptions which (1), are totally confined to the girdle, and (2), do not break the outline of the stone when viewed faceup, are allowable for the Flawless grade.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wear a flawless diamond for a few months and I doubt it will still grade flawless. Diamonds cannot be scratched by anything other than a diamond, but you can ding them, and abrade them when you wear them.

A lasered girdle is a non-issue more by "convention" than anything else. You may see laser girdle inscriptions that break the edge of the girdle from time to time, too. These devices sometimes use a bit too large a font or misplace the engraving a bit high or low.

I'd be careful in every respect with a truly "flawless" stone. This kind of clarity demands very delicate use in order to keep to that level of purity.

MDE

Rough_Rock
Dear Friends
Many thanks for the information.
I have searched for this diamond for over a year. The vendor has offered to have it inscribed with the GIA certification number.

Based on the comments from you guys I think I will take it as is

Once again many thanks
Harry Tapos

barry

Shiny_Rock
Harry;

If your objective in laser-inscribing the FL
is one of security, I recommend you have the vendor
Gemprint this diamond. It will stand you in better
stead than laser-inscription in the event of
loss or theft. The cost is minimal, the protection is great, and you qualify for a premium reduction on
your policy with a growing number of insurance companies.

For more information, go to Gemprint's website:
www.gemprint.com

Barry
www.superbcert.com

MDE

Rough_Rock
Thanks Barry
Visited the website. Yes that looks like the way to go.
Looks much more logical.

barry

Shiny_Rock
You're welcome, Harry.

Let us know how it works out.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have an antique Gemprint machine I bought in 1980. It has been unused in about the past 6 or 7 years. I wonder if Gemprint has ever given any current Gemprint licensees any solid information on what degree of success in reciovering a lost diamond has been experienced.

In my years of use of the Gemprint, I thought it might prove a useful ID tool, but never had even one request for that use. Anyone's experience in this regard would be informative.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Dave;

We have had a number of clients
take this service since we began providing it.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results