shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the difference between radiant and princess cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I am helping my best friend shop for a ring, and we have seen a few radiants that she loves, but what''s the difference between a radiant and a princess cut? Thanks!

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Princess cuts are usually square, and have sharp corners. Radiants can either be squared, or rectangular, and have cut corners. The faceting on a radiant can be like that of a princess, or it can have different faceting. Some radiants even have a bowtie effect that leaves a dark area on either side of the stone.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Take a look at the samples on the www.goodoldgold.com site in the for sales section under fancy shapes. Those will give you a good idea.
10.gif

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Most fancy cuts will have a bow tie effect, not just radiants. The goal is to find one that doesn't have as much shadow. The difference is as stated above, princess are square with perfect corners. Radiants are usually rectangular, sometimes square, with cut corners like an emerald. The faceting is significantly different and produces two very different effects. A radiant is essentially a combination of a step cut (like an emerald) and brilliant cut (like round).

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Here's a sample pic of a radiant. I borrowed this from www.whiteflash.com, I hope they don't mind. You can see the cut corners, a slight bow-tie and some yellow color in this example picture. IMO not the best example.

sh_radiant_smp.jpg

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Another from www.whiteflash.com, this is a princess. See the perfect corners, very square and the more crackly appearence of the faceting. IMO this one looks very nice. I'll try to find a better picture of a radiant.

sh_princess_smp.jpg

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
For more info on the two cuts and other fancies check out http://www.goodoldgold.com/ click on Educational Diamonds.
Many online vendors sell both princess and radiants, for princess also check out www.superbcert.com. But these sights will provide a lot of educational material for you. Be careful when shopping at jewelry stores, there were many times when I asked to see a radiant and they showed me a princess, even after I told them it wasn't radiant and that it was princess, they still showed me a princess. Unfortunately many of the salespeople you run into in stores don't know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results