color
clarity

What is the difference between Cut Grading and Cut Rejection

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It seems at first like a simple question:
"What is the difference between Cut Grading and Cut Rejection?"

For e.g. In my opinion Ideal-scope and ASET are also rejection tools. See the example attached - the square stone would appear as a dog in most lighting.

We tell newbies that HCA is a rejection tool yet both HCA and GIA Cut grade systems work by using look up tables for predetermined spread sheets of data. HCA gives you a break down of light return, fire and scintillation as well as spread, where as GIA only use a rejection system, so you could argue that HCA gives more of a selection service than GIA. However both only give 'potential' information.

AGS 0 can and is given for diamonds with transparency issues - dealers can use the desk top version that AGS sell and give an estimated AGS 0 grade for a black diamond. I think if you entered a 3D scan of the square stone example - it might also get AGS 0. But hey you say - AGS do not have a grading system for square carre cut - only square princess cut!
Well, that's not right either - each AGS shape cut grade means that this is not a Cut Grade System (in my opinion) because a Cut Grade System should be able to grade any shape of diamond on the same scale because what blind buying consumers want is good advice. They also in my (often stated view) want to know about transparency issues.

So what I am wanting to open as a topic for discussion is how do / should / could we grade a diamonds optical performance or beauty as perceived by those end users who buy diamonds?

aset_is_square_0.jpg

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
Re: What is the difference between Cut Grading and Cut Rejec

We tell newbies that HCA is a rejection tool yet both HCA and GIA Cut grade systems work by using look up tables for predetermined spread sheets of data. HCA gives you a break down of light return, fire and scintillation as well as spread, where as GIA only use a rejection system, so you could argue that HCA gives more of a selection service than GIA. However both only give 'potential' information.

I agree that when GIA grades diamonds in labs, they run measurements through pre-determined tables to get an estimated cut grade. However, this makes up part of the final cut grade. The other aspect that factors into the final cut grade assigned by GIA lies in human observation of the stone in 2 different lightings + craftsmanship (symmetry and polish grading). Fire, Pattern and Brightness is observed by a real life human being and a "grading" is offered based on the grader's opinion.

The main gripe I have with GIA is the rounding of measurements shown on the GIA reports. If a grading report can include the tolerances (since they already use a Sarin for measurements in labs), it can allow users to gather more insightful details of the stone when buying blind.

For example, a round stone wth 40.8 degrees and 34.5 degrees crown will more or less always result in a very brilliant diamond Provided that the tolerances between the facets is small. We all know that it might not hold true in the real world when angles are averaged.

Having details like this coupled with having a sufficient pool of video data to correspond to optical performance would enable blind buyers to have a better idea of what they are buying.

For fancy cuts, its a different story all together. perhaps others would like to chime in on this.

Draco

Rough_Rock
Trade

Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
It seems at first like a simple question:
"What is the difference between Cut Grading and Cut Rejection?"

For e.g. In my opinion Ideal-scope and ASET are also rejection tools. See the example attached - the square stone would appear as a dog in most lighting.

AGS 0 can and is given for diamonds with transparency issues - dealers can use the desk top version that AGS sell and give an estimated AGS 0 grade for a black diamond. I think if you entered a 3D scan of the square stone example - it might also get AGS 0. But hey you say - AGS do not have a grading system for square carre cut - only square princess cut!
Well, that's not right either - each AGS shape cut grade means that this is not a Cut Grade System (in my opinion) because a Cut Grade System should be able to grade any shape of diamond on the same scale because what blind buying consumers want is good advice. They also in my (often stated view) want to know about transparency issues.

So what I am wanting to open as a topic for discussion is how do / should / could we grade a diamonds optical performance or beauty as perceived by those end users who buy diamonds?

Garry,

Your bias and agenda is much too transparent in this apparent "discussion" or "solicitation of complaints" about the most respected cut grading labs in our industry. I doubt discrediting the status quo on cut grading is going to help you convince trade to adopt your vision and help you win approval for any diamond performance evaluation and recording equipment.

At least get your facts straight before carbon copying your agenda once more upon novice consumers who don't know any better.

Unlike your single static image an informed trademember is aware that AGSL grades not only faceup but also LP at varying degrees of tilt where the Carre would be penalized. Even if a grading template was available (which it is not) this design would not satisfy the brightness upon tilt requirements.

As for transparency issues if a trademember wanted to send an Ideal cut round black diamond to AGSL it would be graded as a black colored diamond and not receive a cut grade. Only the lab itself can issue an AGS Platinum DQD, simply scanning diamonds and using AGS-PGS and applying the wrong grading file to issue false reports to mislead consumers is a quick way to shame yourself and be drummed out of the society.

There are also a half dozen or more square shapes that have been cut graded by AGSL and more are added every year. It is not just a princess and its variants that can receive a cut grade. One simply has to contact the lab and work with them to have new designs incorporated for potential grading of light performance.

Best of luck with this "highly valuable" discussion.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Draco,

may you ignore AGS, GIA , HCA references in Garry post and give any constructive answer to main issue :

What is the Main difference between Cut Grading and Cut Rejection systems?
where is boundary between Grading ( Score system) and Rejection? what is necessary part, criteria of Any Grading System?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Serg|1367823105|3441109 said:
where is boundary between Grading ( Score system) and Rejection? what is necessary part, criteria of Any Grading System?
Necessary part of cut grading system must assign ordered rank. Ex: {0, 1, 2, 3...}. To use rankings as cut rejection system: reject any result below desired cutoff point; then deem results above cutoff to be worthy of further investigation.

I believe the difference between cut grading and rejection is not much a logic question. It would seem to me that the answer lies in advertising/branding, market share, and consumer perception; that is, a matter of business.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Good point, Draco, but Garry and Sergey do raise an interesting question, while the specific references to labs are not respectful.

My point of view: to date, no true cut-grading-system exists because whatever system is used, it is limited to the study of brightness only. Nobody to date has given convincing and scientific evidence of understanding fire and most importantly scintillation of a diamond. With a system based on assessing brightness only, it will always remain a cut-rejection-system.

Live long,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

JulieN|1367827644|3441115 said:
Necessary part of cut grading system must assign ordered rank. Ex: {0, 1, 2, 3...}. To use rankings as cut rejection system: reject any result below desired cutoff point; then deem results above cutoff to be worthy of further investigation.

I believe the difference between cut grading and rejection is not much a logic question. It would seem to me that the answer lies in advertising/branding, market share, and consumer perception; that is, a matter of business.

Hi JulieN,
Yes, there needs to be some objective metric type rating - but consider wine, hotels, car reviews. /and then diving and skating scores.
Here is something I found on wine:
One of the lowest scores Parker ever gave a new vintage was 56, for 1979 Lambert Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon, about which he wrote, "One has to wonder what this winery does to its cabernet to make it so undrinkable.... This wine has an intense vegetative, barnyard aroma and very unusual flavors."

There can be numbers or stars and there should also be ?perhaps? a commentary?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1367828833|3441117 said:
JulieN|1367827644|3441115 said:

Hi JulieN,
Yes, there needs to be some objective metric type rating - but consider wine, hotels, car reviews. /and then diving and skating scores.
Here is something I found on wine:
One of the lowest scores Parker ever gave a new vintage was 56, for 1979 Lambert Bridge Cabernet Sauvignon, about which he wrote, "One has to wonder what this winery does to its cabernet to make it so undrinkable.... This wine has an intense vegetative, barnyard aroma and very unusual flavors."

There can be numbers or stars and there should also be ?perhaps? a commentary?

Sounds like Duck Commander Mallard Merlot! (you may have to google that! :lol: )

I do like the idea of commentary though. I think it could be helpful for people searching for a particular 'flavor' of stone.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Draco|1367820783|3441105 said:
Unlike your single static image an informed trademember is aware that AGSL grades not only faceup but also LP at varying degrees of tilt where the Carre would be penalized. Even if a grading template was available (which it is not) this design would not satisfy the brightness upon tilt requirements.

Hi Draco...

Last discussions I had with AGSL I clearly understood their individual cut grading scores are based on face-up appearance only but they do use the Aset40 (a stricter) parameter.

IMO that is a AGSL weakness going forward as innovative cuts which are graded based on their LP should surely take tilts into consideration.

My discussions where on fancy shapes only...

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yoram,

I think that this is a misunderstanding, but it is for the bigger concept immaterial.

Bigger question, and in this Garry's original question is badly phrased: Is there an opposition between cut-grading and cut-rejection? I think not, as it would imply that cut-grading is the same as cut-selection, which means that in a proper cut-grading-system, all diamonds getting the same grade are actually equal.

Hence, my response:

All current cut-grading-systems are rejection-systems, as none (even the most sophisticated one) uses an assessment of fire and scintillation.
All future cut-grading-systems will be rejection-systems, as there will always be personal preferences (selection) for stones with exactly the same grade.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Paul-Antwerp|1367837160|3441134 said:
Yoram,

I think that this is a misunderstanding, but it is for the bigger concept immaterial.

Bigger question, and in this Garry's original question is badly phrased: Is there an opposition between cut-grading and cut-rejection? I think not, as it would imply that cut-grading is the same as cut-selection, which means that in a proper cut-grading-system, all diamonds getting the same grade are actually equal.

Hence, my response:

All current cut-grading-systems are rejection-systems, as none (even the most sophisticated one) uses an assessment of fire and scintillation.
All future cut-grading-systems will be rejection-systems, as there will always be personal preferences (selection) for stones with exactly the same grade.

Live long,

I partially agree Paul as you are mixing science with subjectivity of personal preferences (selection) which off-course is extremely important but immeasurable.
In the larger picture AGSL's cut grades are (IMO) not necessarily a rejection tool "only" as they do display a quantitative result on static LP measurements.
The problem is they display these results based on face-up appearance while not taking movements (at the moment) in consideration which is necessity to assess fire & scintillation.
GIA cut grades are a non-issue for me and this discussion as a scientific measure because of the rounding of the numbers but their cut grades are partially based on human observations.

Personal preference will always exist and will never be answered (or graded) objectively via any Laboratory.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What is right Term( Word) for
1)"Parker Vine system "?
2) for www.booking.com???

a) Rejection
b) Grading
c) Score
d) Anything else

?
What system do we want for diamonds?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

They are not incompatible. They are opposite sides of the same coin.

Imagine a grading scale with only 2 grades. We'll call them A and B. It doesn't actually matter what the criteria is but let's call A 'better' than B.

That's a grading scale. What made it a grading scale is a qualitative judgment resulting in a rank. If someone uses it to choose A's over B's and then uses some other criteria to decide which A to choose from the universe of A's, they're using it as a rejection system. All of the B's have been rejected.

Does it mater if there are 2 possible scores or 20? I think not. It's still grading and it can still be used as a rejection system. Does it matter if the scale is useful or even repeatable? I think not. The customer finds it useful, or at least useful enough to throw out all of the B's, and that's enough. People use color as a rejection system regularly. There are 17 color grades and folks will draw what is often an arbitrary line at what they're willing to consider. Although HCA has a scale with 50ish possible scores (1.0-6.0 in 0.1 increments) , the usual usage only involves 2 – over/under 2.0. Although HCA is a tiny player, this rejection process is the NORMAL way people shop for diamonds. It's the whole of the way the PS search engine works.

A perhaps less confrontational and frankly much bigger example of this is lab branding. The selection of 'GIA only' as a search filter is both applying a grading scale and using it as a rejection system. It doesn't mean that non-GIA stones can't be fabulous or that the GIA graded goods can't be dogs but the filter rejects a broad swath of available stones without examining ANY other parameters. Shoppers then use other criteria to decide which GIA they want to proceed with. Those too are mostly used as rejection systems. Eventually they narrow down the pool of available diamonds from a few hundred thousand to a few or even one. Those they look at and choose the one that sings to them. THAT is a selection system.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I wholeheartedly agree, Neil. You have only explained it better than anyone can.

Live long,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser|1367845994|3441191 said:

Imagine a grading scale with only 2 grades. We'll call them A and B. It doesn't actually matter what the criteria is but let's call A 'better' than B.

That's a grading scale. What made it a grading scale is a qualitative judgment resulting in a rank. If someone uses it to choose A's over B's and then uses some other criteria to decide which A to choose from the universe of A's, they're using it as a rejection system. All of the B's have been rejected.

The AGSL Aset imagery does provide certain flavors making it IMO some sort of selection tool as well...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

DiaGem|1367847711|3441210 said:
The AGSL Aset imagery does provide certain flavors making it IMO some sort of selection tool as well...
ASET, IS and other photographic images of any variety are different because there is no scale. There is no 'grade'. It's just data.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser|1367848936|3441217 said:
DiaGem|1367847711|3441210 said:
ASET, IS and other photographic images of any variety are different because there is no scale. There is no 'grade'. It's just data.
True Neil, but still part of a grading scheme which assists a selection process.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

To be sure, I find the data to be useful, but that doesn't make it a grade. People assign names like 'ring of death', 'fisheye', 'steep/deep' and so on to what they see. THAT is grading, and it can be used for selection/rejection if someone wants. What makes it grading is the judgment and the comparitive ranking of one against another. What makes it a rejection tool is how that grade is applied. What makes it useful (or not) is the credibility of the grader, the repeatability, and the relevance of the scale.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

So Neil, would assigning a percentage of the ASET colors of a stone constitute data? For example, stones with >75% red (arbitrary #s) would obtain a certain grade, 50-75% the next lowest and so forth?

ETA: green & blue combinations taken into account as well

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

denverappraiser|1367850096|3441234 said:
To be sure, I find the data to be useful, but that doesn't make it a grade. People assign names like 'ring of death', 'fisheye', 'steep/deep' and so on to what they see. THAT is grading, and it can be used for selection/rejection if someone wants. What makes it grading is the judgment and the comparitive ranking of one against another. What makes it a rejection tool is how that grade is applied. What makes it useful (or not) is the credibility of the grader, the repeatability, and the relevance of the scale.

For Rejection system you need Comparison each diamond with just early selected "Ideal" or limited set of "Ideals".
For Selection system you need possibility to Compare any to any.
there is not any way for consumer now to compare 2 diamonds with same rank inside one Lab grading system.
we have diamond rank systems, but we have not comparison system( as for example Parker vine system, or modern hotel adviser systems)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Serg|1367851983|3441247 said:
there is not any way for consumer now to compare 2 diamonds with same rank inside one Lab grading system.
People do this all the time. They always have. The most common criteria used is the endorsement of a trusted jeweler. 'This one is better than that one'. That's grading, and if you follow the advice it's selection/rejection. People do it by posting ASET images here on PS and asking the group what they like. That's grading. They use the HCA. That's a grade. They use BrillianceScope results. Again a grade. They do it by choosing a particular brand and thereby applying the brandholder's criteria for 'signature' or whatever they want to call it. This is all grading. I get your point that none of these things are unbiased filters but they are filters nonetheless. They are grades nonetheless. The rejection happens nonetheless. People use them and people end up with diamonds. Mostly they're happy. That is to say, the system works.

Is there a better way to do this? Maybe. Probably even. This is what caused the whole business of 'certificates' to come about and why GIA now rules the roost so there's an obvious need present but this is well outside the realm of this discussion. Certs have only been a big deal for 30 years or so after all. Grading is grading. Rejection (or selection) is what you do with it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I am not sure I understand your statement...

For example, take two Aset images (I am on my iPad and don't know how to attach images), a well known AVC and my avatar image..., both classified by AGSL as standard Cushion Brilliants (both a 58 brilliant facet design) ..., both are graded as "0" for LP constantly.

I think they are comparable by consumers, they might need to educate themselves on the issue but yet it's comparable.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Great discussion Garry!
In my experience diamond grades, in general, are widely misunderstood by consumers.
Let's remember that most consumers do not read PS- or have a true context for the grades.
Neil brought up color grades- commonly a consumer draws a line, in many cases arbitrarily due to limited knowledge.

Clarity is a larger issue for the untrained consumer in my experiences.
People commonly ask for a VS stone because they've been led to believe that an SI, by it's very nature- will be dull.
Of course nothing could be further from the truth.

Cut grading systems are far worse at providing arbitrary results for consumers IMO.
Again, it's lack of context.
As Paul so rightly pointed out, there are no current methods of measuring or assessing fire and scintillation- furthermore, it's my position that these two aspects are completely subjective in nature.

If we look at round diamonds, the result of the cut grading systems is a "normalizing" of cut standards so that many diamonds look exactly like the next one- and this can be a very positive aspect for some consumers, and terrible for others.

If knowing what one wants allows an easier cut rejection, then such a cut grade system is a boon for that particular consumer. For that one would need to be educated to all the possibilities.
But for consumers who are in the formulation process of decision making, I believe a strong case can be made that cut grades being used as rejection tools can hinder an open minded selection. This would be especially true with fancy cut grades

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

DiaGem|1367854688|3441268 said:

I am not sure I understand your statement...

For example, take two Aset images (I am on my iPad and don't know how to attach images), a well known AVC and my avatar image..., both classified by AGSL as standard Cushion Brilliants (both a 58 brilliant facet design) ..., both are graded as "0" for LP constantly.

I think they are comparable by consumers, they might need to educate themselves on the issue but yet it's comparable.

May consumer Compare Light Performance ( Beauty: Combination of Fire, Brilliancy , Scintillation) for any 2 diamonds? for any 2 diamonds with same cut and same GIA ( or AGS) ranks?
How may they do it practically with reasonable level of confidence ?

ASET nothing say about beauty and specially about Fire, Scintillation.

Did you try explain to consumer what is diamond beauty? what is Brilliancy ?( do not send me to LAB Brilliancy definitions please. I read all these definitions . they say nothing about brilliancy )
For rejection systems You do not need know what Brilliancy( Fire,..) is, you need just reference( "ideal"0) diamond.

it is reason why we see so many rejections systems now. Lack in definitions and poor consumer-retail level of communication ( there is not any effective and clear language for communication with consumer about diamond beauty)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

denverappraiser|1367845994|3441191 said:

Yes

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

shimmer|1367851781|3441244 said:
So Neil, would assigning a percentage of the ASET colors of a stone constitute data? For example, stones with >75% red (arbitrary #s) would obtain a certain grade, 50-75% the next lowest and so forth?

ETA: green & blue combinations taken into account as well
The percentage of whatever color is data. Calling one with 75% red better than one with 50% red is grading. The mapping of the data in to the resultant grade out is the grading scale.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Serg|1367857208|3441295 said:
( there is not any effective and clear language for communication with consumer about diamond beauty)

True..., and if we are adding "beauty" to the mix..., there will never be a selection tool.
Some might even think the Carre Garry posted in his first title post is beautiful. Sergey, you should know my stand on interpreting beauty.
How would anyone interpret taste in wine or cigars? Its individual unless you point a "norm".

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

DiaGem|1367862365|3441353 said:
( there is not any effective and clear language for communication with consumer about diamond beauty)

True..., and if we are adding "beauty" to the mix..., there will never be a selection tool.
Some might even think the Carre Garry posted in his first title post is beautiful. Sergey, you should know my stand on interpreting beauty.
How would anyone interpret taste in wine or cigars? Its individual unless you point a "norm".

There are quite different systems to Score Wine and Hotels, but they work fine for people with different taste.
At least they work much better than any diamond grading system.
but even if for some wine you can not find score in respectable by you wine system , you have language to discuss about this wine with sales person ( if we speak about expensive wines).
for much more expensive diamonds we have not even language for discussion , for comparison .
many consumers ( and even professionals ) do not difference between Brilliancy and Scintillation , between Fire and Scintillation.
Most of them do not know that Brilliancy is. Most of them do not know that Fire depends from diamond size,.( they think that if 0.5 ct diamond and 3ct diamond are GIA triple Ex then these diamonds have same Beauty , same Fire,..)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Serg|1367866093|3441420 said:
DiaGem|1367862365|3441353 said:

There are quite different systems to Score Wine and Hotels, but they work fine for people with different taste.
At least they work much better than any diamond grading system.
but even if for some wine you can not find score in respectable by you wine system , you have language to discuss about this wine with sales person ( if we speak about expensive wines).
for much more expensive diamonds we have not even language for discussion , for comparison .
many consumers ( and even professionals ) do not difference between Brilliancy and Scintillation , between Fire and Scintillation.
Most of them do not know that Brilliancy is. Most of them do not know that Fire depends from diamond size,.( they think that if 0.5 ct diamond and 3ct diamond are GIA triple Ex then these diamonds have same Beauty , same Fire,..)

This is true- but I suggest a more applicable analogy would be some sort of rating system for clothing. How can we "rate" something that is to be judged by the end user on a totally subjective basis.
DiaGem said:

I don't think there's a "might" there - there will absolutely be onlookers that will prefer the Carre

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade

re:This is true- but I suggest a more applicable analogy would be some sort of rating system for clothing. How can we "rate" something that is to be judged by the end user on a totally subjective basis.

we have to separate Design from Performance.

there is not any reason to Grade Visual design( as Pear Girdle shape or ratio for Emerald), consumers may do it without any help.
there is necessary system to Score Light performance only and Compare any two diamonds by performance. we need language to discuss about Light Performance.

There is Score system to grade Clothing performance, Glasses performance ( 1-4 transparency levels, UV, weight ,..)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results