shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the deal with oldtreasures333

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Are they creating replicas? But some items have Authenticity Guaranteed, so someone at GIA will verify age and stone.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I asked this question a while back. I suspect many of their listings are vintage/antique settings with a new center stone (and definitely the ones that are orange sapphire or similar are treated). https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-on-ebay-vendor-natural-alexandrite.268791/

Ohh, good detective work. But those sold under AG would fail, right? Ebay is super strict. I bought a ring who was sold as art deco, 90 platinum and it was rejected because it tested as 80. I got a refund right away.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it depends. If a stone is labeled natural, you don't need a guarantee to get a refund when it's not. If a stone is just labeled "sapphire," you might have a harder time getting a refund if it turns out to be a lab sapphire because a lab sapphire is a sapphire. I would make sure to get assurances in writing from the seller before making a purchase, or steering clear all together if you have any doubts; as I'm sure you know, colored stones in particular are a minefield and you really have to know how to ask the right questions.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read here at some point in the past, a post from someone who bought a ring from this seller.

She said that it was obvious that the stone did not belong in the setting because it was not a proper fit. I have seen some pretty things from them but something always keeps me from buying, maybe that review gives me pause.

B

Betty Baguette

I can't speak to the stone issue, but years ago I bought a ring from them that I was happy with. I purchased two more rings a couple years later that were not as described, size was way off, so I returned them. I won't buy from them again. However, I do know that some people have been happy with their purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was interested in some items, then I noticed almost all the rings, the stones are too small for the setting and it's very noticeable, so it looks bad

Daze

Rough_Rock
Their highly inflated made up ‘value’ of the item in every title listing is misleading and irritating. If a ring is truly worth the $12,000 they are claiming then why on earth would they be selling it for $2,000. They wouldn’t, it’s nonsense!
I find it irksome…but that’s just me.

I echo what others have said above, a lot of the stones don’t look like they fit properly at all. Definite case of shoving whatever stone they can fit into vintage settings I’d wager.

I would not trust the GIL lab they use for their sapphires either. Goodness knows what you‘d really be getting with regards to treatments.
Just my thoughts of course, but a lot about their listings feels shady.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from oldreasures333 many years ago. I’ve bought watches and I think a ring.
They are pawnbrokers/ liquidators and get their stock from many sources. Some of their items are definitely antique / vintage, others questionable.
They have a practice of “making up” quite unrealistic valuations and most of what they call Alexandrite is at best poor colour change Chrysoberyl.
Some of their lab certifications are weird and when they say “natural” they only mean not lab created. They never refer to the level of treatments.
It’s nigh impossible to “prove” one way or the other if a ring is genuine Art Deco or reproduction and likewise whether the gemstone is original to the ring setting or a replacement. Many rings have replacement gemstones for a number of reasons. The danger of course is in believing gems in an Art Deco ring will have been spared BE treatment for eg (because it’s a later treatment type) when the gem in stitu may have been set 2 weeks ago!
Ebay does offer refunds if an item is not as described but getting appropriate evidence that an item is not as described is at the buyers expense. And those costs ie another lab certification won’t be refunded to the buyer in any regard. Most people buying on eBay don’t know to question or doubt what the seller is saying so who knows how many buyers out there should be unhappy but just don’t know it!
with any eBay seller you have to do your research and you have to carefully review the item you are interested in.
ask questions, get more photos. It’s much much easier to simply avoid the purchase if you have doubts than to take your chances and go through the drama of getting a refund under the eBay guarantee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results