shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the cost of putting an arthritic band on a ring?

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
So my initial engagement ring was a bit small and I pushed it over my knuckle for ten years. I had my ring re-sized but the birth of my two children did weird things to my body (I guess) and now I have to force it over my finger still. The damage done to my knuckle cannot be reversed and I can't make the ring any bigger because it spins like crazy already. I don't want to size up and put a plastic sizer thing on it or use sizing beads (which I've tried and didn't like). I guess my only option is an arthritic band which my jeweler said is "very expensive" to put on. The internet was down the day I stopped by and he couldn't look up the price, and now I'm wondering just how much is expensive??
I am also wondering what is a reasonable price for putting one of these on a ring? Also, what is the best one out there? I literally know nothing about them. Will it damage my ring? Should I just stop wearing my ring and not bother? Any knowledge would be incredibly helpful! I included pictures of my ring for reference and also a picture of the kind or band I'd like put on. Thanks!
IMG_4648.jpg IMG_4650.jpg IMG_4651.jpg

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In your shoes I would get a quote from David klass jewelry and a few others to compare.
I'm not sure if that is something that could be ordered from Stuller or not.

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
Just a thought ... what about trying a horseshoe sizer (a partial loop inside the shank that flexes?) - cheaper and can be removed?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The arthritic shank you are looking at can only be added to a ring with pave less than halfway down the sides. Your ring has it further, so they will end us needed to reconstruct your shank. That is likely why they are saying "expensive". Also, that kind of sizer requires good vision and dexterity to hit the little tiny button to open it.

The U or horseshoe sizer can be put in if the ring can be sized to fit over your knuckle first. That would take up the space. My mom still has many of these in her rings. Again, the pave being low on the shoulders will be the issue if it can be resized affordably. But, if this can be done (resizing), this will keep the ring design intact otherwise.
47241-7c8b1009b27679b85c7b9cd69a4d4d1e.jpg

There is another kind of sizer that Mom mom uses to accommodate her knuckles. I think she's tried them all! This is her favorite, but it still requires re-shanking of 1/2 the ring. Your setting will need to be modified quite a bit.

https://foreverfitrings.com/index.html
upload_2019-1-4_6-24-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-4_6-19-2.png
    upload_2019-1-4_6-19-2.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 54

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain. Though I don't have arthritis (yet :confused:), I do suffer from both "knobby knuckle syndrome" and "swollen finger syndrome" :lol:. My left index finger has a knuckle that measures a solid size 6 and base that measures 5.5 at best. I guess you could say I have hourglass fingers :lol:. I inquired about a release band at my local jeweler (not sure it was the same one in your photo) and was quoted about $800-900 for white gold. The reason I didn't move forward is I was afraid the latch could fail and I would lose my ring. The options that @rockysalamander linked seems to be more secure.

Though it sounds like the damage to your knuckle is permanent, I've found that only taking my rings off and putting them on when I am not swollen (no forcing) helps. Since I am least swollen later in the day, I take them off then (using a spray of windex or a tiny bit of lotion on my knuckle if necessary) to clean them, shower, gym, etc. I am most swollen in the morning, so I usually put them back on (again using the windex or lotion if necessary) before I go to bed. If I am not able to get them off fairly easily, I don't force them and just keep them on. If I start to develop callouses on the sides of my knuckle, I use some fine sandpaper or an nail file to remove them.

Hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d definitely pursue a quote from David Klass etc. I know that patented style is very expensive, but to be honest if I had arthritis I’d consider it.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will probably require a similar solution in the future. I currently use sizing beads and the little plastic spiral ring adjusters on my rings. I think I would use the Forever Fit band over the one that has the latch. I would not just stop wearing rings I really loved, especially my engagement ring and wedding band.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
My ring is not pave. It is prong set. Also, it is currently too small and will have to be resized. I questioned the jeweler on it working bc of the diamonds and he said it would not be a problem.

The arthritic shank you are looking at can only be added to a ring with pave less than halfway down the sides. Your ring has it further, so they will end us needed to reconstruct your shank. That is likely why they are saying "expensive". Also, that kind of sizer requires good vision and dexterity to hit the little tiny button to open it.

The U or horseshoe sizer can be put in if the ring can be sized to fit over your knuckle first. That would take up the space. My mom still has many of these in her rings. Again, the pave being low on the shoulders will be the issue if it can be resized affordably. But, if this can be done (resizing), this will keep the ring design intact otherwise.
47241-7c8b1009b27679b85c7b9cd69a4d4d1e.jpg

There is another kind of sizer that Mom mom uses to accommodate her knuckles. I think she's tried them all! This is her favorite, but it still requires re-shanking of 1/2 the ring. Your setting will need to be modified quite a bit.

https://foreverfitrings.com/index.html
upload_2019-1-4_6-24-41.png

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
I guess my suggestion at not wearing them is out of frustration and defeat due to my stupid finger costing me more money!! I have used those plastic ring things too and I didn't like them at all...I'll look into the ForeverFit band. I don't really know what that is! Thanks!

I will probably require a similar solution in the future. I currently use sizing beads and the little plastic spiral ring adjusters on my rings. I think I would use the Forever Fit band over the one that has the latch. I would not just stop wearing rings I really loved, especially my engagement ring and wedding band.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess my suggestion at not wearing them is out of frustration and defeat due to my stupid finger costing me more money!! I have used those plastic ring things too and I didn't like them at all...I'll look into the ForeverFit band. I don't really know what that is! Thanks!
It is frustrating. My mom has always had bony knuckles, but arthritis really made a difference to her rings. She has speed bumps (like beads) on some that are very special occasion rings. A lot of the U-sizers. But, for her daily rings, she's transitioning to the forever version. My dad does the work on all her gold jewelry, a friend does the platinum rings, so I can't give a cost for the work. But, in my findings catalog, a 2.5 mm white gold Forever Fit shank that is a size 7 (guessing) is around $250. My dad says it takes a few hours of work from cutting a simple solid shank to the polished and finished ring. With your settings, it will take a bit more fiddling as they likely need to unset the side stones to protect them. If your jeweler can use a laser welder, then heat is not an issue.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This forever fit shank is very interesting. My fingers swell so much from heat and humidity that I can't wear my ER for most of the summer. I've been thinking of sizing up and putting in a bridge or bumps but this option looks more flexible on sizing.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started getting OA at 15 years old. My hands show the damage more than my other joints. My ring size is 6 but the last few years I just ask that my rings be sized at 6.5 or 6.75 and add sizing beads of various sizes according to the thickness of the ring. I think it is more of a mental thing to have the sizing beads placed versus an orthopedic shank but it works for me.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
have used a nail file to remove the skin on the callouses, however, the damage is below the skin and is not able to be removed :(

Lol at the "hourglass" fingers! Me too!! I think my ring now is a 7.5 or a 7.75 but the base is probably a 6.5. It sucks!

I'm going to check out the link you provided! Thanks! I didn't realize that the latch could fail. I'm so overwhelmed by the thought of not being able to wear it because there are no safe options :(

I feel your pain. Though I don't have arthritis (yet :confused:), I do suffer from both "knobby knuckle syndrome" and "swollen finger syndrome" :lol:. My left index finger has a knuckle that measures a solid size 6 and base that measures 5.5 at best. I guess you could say I have hourglass fingers :lol:. I inquired about a release band at my local jeweler (not sure it was the same one in your photo) and was quoted about $800-900 for white gold. The reason I didn't move forward is I was afraid the latch could fail and I would lose my ring. The options that @rockysalamander linked seems to be more secure.

Though it sounds like the damage to your knuckle is permanent, I've found that only taking my rings off and putting them on when I am not swollen (no forcing) helps. Since I am least swollen later in the day, I take them off then (using a spray of windex or a tiny bit of lotion on my knuckle if necessary) to clean them, shower, gym, etc. I am most swollen in the morning, so I usually put them back on (again using the windex or lotion if necessary) before I go to bed. If I am not able to get them off fairly easily, I don't force them and just keep them on. If I start to develop callouses on the sides of my knuckle, I use some fine sandpaper or an nail file to remove them.

Hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
David Klass, in my experience, is HORRENDOUS with communication. I gave up last time I emailed him because I never heard back.

I’d definitely pursue a quote from David Klass etc. I know that patented style is very expensive, but to be honest if I had arthritis I’d consider it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Suggestion: have your jeweler make the ring 1 size larger- then install two little balls at the bottom of the shank.
The ring will comfortably go over the knuckle, yet be stable on the palm.
We've done this literally hundreds of times.
Personally, this seems a much better solution than a hinged shank....

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are dozens of options here. Different people like different things, different products cost wildly different, and shanks are not all suited for the same products. Talk to your jeweler. This project can be as cheap as $50 and as much as $1000 depending on your approach. If you don't trust your jeweler to give you good advice, find another jeweler.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander the smallest forever fit shank is 2.5mm. Could DK put this on a 2mm band by tapering the forever fit shank? This would be awesome for my right hand finger. I have tried everything and found nothing works that great.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Foreverfits are cool, but they do extend quite a ways up the shank. Given this ring has diamonds up there, it may not be an option. Again, ask your jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results