shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the correct name for this clasp?

iyiyi

Rough_Rock
Just curious what the correct name for this clasp is. I have always called them j-hooks but I've been trying to find somewhere in the US that makes sterling version of them and I cannot seem to find the right name.

Thank you

img.axd

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Just spent 10 mins looking for the name, as I was certain that I had seen it mentioned in articles when I was going through my vintage phase. And I believe I've found it - seems it's called the "sister clasp"!

It's in Cala Gold's blog post on clasps that are difficult to use:

Her photo of an example:
Sister-Clasp.jpg

There seem to be loads of it online, although I haven't looked up sterling ones.
sister_hook_clasp_SSSH01_med.jpg

iyiyi

Rough_Rock
Just spent 10 mins looking for the name, as I was certain that I had seen it mentioned in articles when I was going through my vintage phase. And I believe I've found it - seems it's called the "sister clasp"!

Her photo of an example:
Sister-Clasp.jpg

There seem to be loads of it online, although I haven't looked up sterling ones.

Thanks!
Can't seem to find many for sale online anywhere, especially anything made in the USA.

Any reason these clasps aren't popular anymore? They are by far my favorite clasps.

Were these ever used on necklaces/neck chains or only bracelets?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Her photo of an example:
Sister-Clasp.jpg

Thank you for posting
i enjoy Calla's blog but i had somehow missed that one
She talks such common sence

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!
Can't seem to find many for sale online anywhere, especially anything made in the USA.

Any reason these clasps aren't popular anymore? They are by far my favorite clasps.

Were these ever used on necklaces/neck chains or only bracelets?

I'd imagine the manufacture of these components, like so many other products, have been moved out of the US. Hope you can find a US based supplier though!

I've never seen one in person myself, actually. I wonder if they are/were more popular in the US? Calla does say it's fiddly to open, so perhaps that's why it's less common nowadays. It's interesting to hear it's your favourite - do you find if difficult to use at all?

Also lobster clasps seem to have replaced everything in recent years, which I think is a pity because I like the wide variety of looks provided by antique/vintage clasps.

Thank you for posting
i enjoy Calla's blog but i had somehow missed that one
She talks such common sence

I enjoy Calla's blog too. I don't always agree with her views on jewellery (although It's nice to hear things from a jeweller's perspective and I appreciate her explaining how repairs etc. work. If only I had local jewellers like her!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd imagine the manufacture of these components, like so many other products, have been moved out of the US. Hope you can find a US based supplier though!

I've never seen one in person myself, actually. I wonder if they are/were more popular in the US? Calla does say it's fiddly to open, so perhaps that's why it's less common nowadays. It's interesting to hear it's your favourite - do you find if difficult to use at all?

Also lobster clasps seem to have replaced everything in recent years, which I think is a pity because I like the wide variety of looks provided by antique/vintage clasps.

I enjoy Calla's blog too. I don't always agree with her views on jewellery (although It's nice to hear things from a jeweller's perspective and I appreciate her explaining how repairs etc. work. If only I had local jewellers like her!

I love how she fixes stuff and makes people happy by makes things wearable
Im into sentimentality

Wear it dont warehouse it !

Yes i too wish i had someome like her to doctor to my pretties

iyiyi

Rough_Rock

Thanks! Mostly I just like the history of these clasps. The lobster claps just feel so cheap to me. I've had new ones break but I have bracelets and other pieces with these "sister" clasps that have lasted almost 100 years with no issues. I don't find them hard to open or use at all.

Shame they aren't popular and that there doesn't seem to be any US manufacturers

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results