shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best way to save money????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
When looking for a diamond which of the 4c''s can one maybe "skimp" on a bit and still get a great diamond? I was thinking that I would either get a "G" SI1 or "H" vs2 and try to get the best cut and proportions that I can afford? I''m looking to get a radiant cut and I have been told that they hide inclusions rather well. Would a "F" SI2 still be a nice looking diamond? Please if anybody has some insight here it could really help me because I have to make my purchase in the next few days! Thanks!
emsmileo.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely don''t skimp on cut, because it really impacts appearance. However, I have an H/SI2 and it is very clean and white. If you select them well, SI stones can be a great value. On a radiant I probably wouldn''t go lower than an H because they show more color, but in an ideal cut round many love their J and K stones!! If they are well-cut they can face up very white.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 4:51:14 AM
Author: kcoursolle
Definitely don''t skimp on cut, because it really impacts appearance. However, I have an H/SI2 and it is very clean and white. If you select them well, SI stones can be a great value. On a radiant I probably wouldn''t go lower than an H because they show more color, but in an ideal cut round many love their J and K stones!! If they are well-cut they can face up very white.
Ditto KC.

Need_ring_quickly

Rough_Rock
Is your H/si2 a radiant or a round? Thanks for the advice!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
In my opinion, I'd "skimp" on color. I would not skimp on either cut or clarity personally. I don't even consider lower colors to be lower quality myself.

F S12 is too "different" to me (i.e. F and S12 are very disparate points on their respective scales). I'd bring the color down and the clarity up, personally.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Eyeclean SI2 usually offer great value. But it may not be suitable for certain cuts of diamonds that thrives on clarity e.g. EC or Asscher. Unless you''re dead set against the lower colors, I''d look at I, J even K. Setting plays a part too. An antique style may complement the warmer colors much better than more modern ones.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 5:46:55 AM
Author: Imdanny
In my opinion, I''d ''skimp'' on color. I would not skimp on either cut or clarity personally. I don''t even consider lower colors to be lower quality myself.

F S12 is too ''different'' to me (i.e. F and S12 are very disparate points on their respective scales). I''d bring the color down and the clarity up, personally.
Ditto. I have a well cut K, VS2 and I love it
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Good general concerns, and approach, but consider trying a new horse...

Date: 4/11/2009 4:48:37 AM
Author:Need_ring_quickly
When looking for a diamond which of the 4c''s can one maybe ''skimp'' on a bit and still get a great diamond? I was thinking that I would either get a ''G'' SI1 or ''H'' vs2 and try to get the best cut and proportions that I can afford? I''m looking to get a radiant cut and I have been told that they hide inclusions rather well. Would a ''F'' SI2 still be a nice looking diamond? Please if anybody has some insight here it could really help me because I have to make my purchase in the next few days! Thanks!
emsmileo.gif
If you''re going for a radiant as a solution to the problem of hiding inclusions, take a different approach. Cut is important because it increases the sparkle, and rounds do that over radiants, too.

Up to H SI2...even I1 some say...is OK if you''re teaming with a good vendor''s eye, especially at a distance. But, conservatively, G or H SI 1, is probably lovely...but make your requirement eye-clean, try to work with a trusted vendor, and this will help you to make it work.

Radiant or round, use technologies to help you get a well cut diamond. Either AGS''s imprimatur, or the use of an IS or ASET scope to confirm little light leakage.

Some suggestions.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 5:06:16 AM
Author: Need_ring_quickly
Is your H/si2 a radiant or a round? Thanks for the advice!
It''s a round.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know what your budget is, but I''d contact Jonathan at goodoldgold.com and see what he has. He''ll have a beautiful stone for you! What is your budget?

I personally would shoot for an eyeclean SI1 or SI2 and I or J in color. Thats a happy medium and in a well cut stone should face up white. I have an I cushette right now and it faces up white, and I''m actually upgrading to an I or J in a cushion cut and was told that if I get J it will still face up white.

hope this helps!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 4:51:14 AM
Author: kcoursolle

ITTA..I have an H/SI2 also and it''s fabulous...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
What color are the sidestones you already bought?

What''s your budget?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is true both for people with tight budgets and gobs to spend and it’s important to decide what’s important to you. After all, there’s nothing wrong with a 0.25ct/L/I-1 if that’s what your budget supports.

Start with a budget that you can live with and choose an overall style for the ring. In general, you can save money by buying a ring with a lot of detail to it and a smaller center stone over a big rock and a plain ring for example but this only works if it results in what you want. Size is the biggest tripping point for most people and, frankly, I would recommend that the first compromise be there.

Most people seem to start with about 1.0/G/VS2 as the starting specs in their heads after they go through the various internet tutorials. It’s pretty easy to figure out what that will cost in the ‘pricescope your diamond’ bar at the top of the page and you then get to decide if your budget supports it. Dropping to 0.85/H/SI1 is going to drop your price by half while going up to a 1.40/G/VS2 is going to double it. Where do YOU want it to go? This is one of the really handy things about pricescope. Play a little bit with the database of stones for sale and you’ll quickly get a feel for how tweaking one thing will affect the price.

Don’t forget to actually look at some diamonds. The best way to tell if you are sensitive to that I color over the F is to go to a store and look at some rocks. The same is true with clarity and even cutting. By all means tell the salespeople what you’re doing and ask them to help you out. That’s what they’re there for.

What''s the cheapest solution? Well, a plain silver band from Walmart is about $15 and it''ll work just fine. If that''s where your budget belongs there''s nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, if you move upscale a bit you''ll get a nicer ring and a bit more respect at the company picnic.
9.gif

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results