shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best option for a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I jusy realized I never did ask...

What are the most important factors you''re looking for in a stone?

For example, I always prefer the cut(dimensions), color, and clarity far above the size of the stone.

Let us know...

-G

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 6:37:10 PM
Author: curlyq_hw
Kcourselle, your post has me intrigued. Of the ladies (well I presume it is all ladies at this point) that have participated in the discussion thus far, is Kcourselle right? Is it more cost effective to purchase a larger stone with a simpler setting, then upgrade JUST the setting itself? Thinking mathematically, if say $2,500-3k was put to a stone and $500 - 1k to a setting (give or take), then in a few years (if that) spend just $2,000 or so on the setting and keep the stone. Is this being smarter with our money or should I go the estate route?

Doesn''t everyone on PS suffer from ''shrinkage perspective'' though? Today''s honking diamond is tomorrow''s chip? Is that something I should be worried about? I think my initial reaction was that if I couldn''t get platinum and a vintage-y ring that I would keep for donkey''s years, then I would go with white gold in a vintage-y ring and upgrade to platinum later. Maybe that isn''t the smartest move to make? Crap. Now I''m freaking out a bit. Too many options! Gah.
Don''t freak.

As someone who has been on the boards for a while. Let me sum this up for you.

Not surprisingly many of the ladies on PS shopping within a budget for an e-ring... frequently want more than their budgets allow. Kcourselle''s advice is the best we have to offer. Buy a nice center from a good vendor with a good upgrade policy, spend as little as possible for a setting, around $150 (devoting the majority of $$ to your center stone) and re-set later (with a possible upgrade in size/ clarity/ color whatever at the same time).

Upsides: you get what you want with a little patience and still have a temporary ring to hold you over.
Downsides: Sometimes those temp setting become permanent as wedding planning, buying a home and so forth start taking a toll on discretionary income. I''ve had my temp setting for 5 years now. Another downside: if you or your FI are they type that get attached to your original stone-- upgrading may not be a possibility without hurting feelings. Best way to avoid this is to have an honest talk about it upfront before purchasing anything.

SO... I second and third both Kc and Cehra... and anyone else who has suggested this to you.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t go for colour unless you are a coloured gem person. If my FI had turned up with a big diamond I would have been a bit disappointed - because it would be going back! Hence my ban on him buying everything.

He gave me a budget to work with. I don''t want to have to confine myself - I will never ever upgrade - so I''m paying anything over his budget. Which basically means 50% over. He''s fine with that - I''m the gemstone junkie and he knows that I will see flaws that others would never notice so I will have to have a better rock.

Basically he loves my obsessional passions and watching me research and get excited about my ring.
30.gif

If you don''t want to compromise - why not add some $$$ yourself. Once your married it''s all relative anyway!

One thing I hate to see is a girl whose sad and embarrassed about her e-ring.
38.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I completely agree with you about platinum. I was working within a budget ($4k) and just wouldn't budge on my choice of metal.

Regarding buying a bigger diamond or your perfect setting now, it all depends. Do you think your fiance will want to upgrade? Will you?

You've gotten great advice from members of PS so far, but I wanted to add something I found:

1920s Engagement Ring in platinum, $2450

There's something about actual antique rings that words can't describe. I'm actually looking at a beautiful engraved platinum band from the 1930s for my wedding band.

Whatever you choose, good luck...I hope you find your perfect ring!

curlyq_hw

Rough_Rock
Thank you ladies for all of your advice and input! Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply to my own forum topic, I've been lying on the couch nursing a cold.

I've been thinking about what the majority of the members on the forum have said: to purchase as large of a diamond as we can, and get a simple setting. However, many of you also say the typical "upgrade" doesn't take place until 5-10 years from the original engagement ring/date of marriage, barring "life circumstances" like yearly vacations, a home purchase, etc.

I have to be honest with myself (and the PS forum)-- I don't think I would be happy with a bigger solitaire ring in a plain setting, especially given the high possibility that an upgrade would be one of those things my husband would talk about, but never actually put into motion. I hope no one has passed out in front of their screen after reading my statement ;-) but I know myself and having a Tiffany-style solitaire setting just doesn't suit my style. Granted, the larger diamond aspect of this recommendation is very compelling, but... I just can't see myself with a solitaire setting. In the long-term, I wouldn't be happy with it. My fiancee has given me the thumbs-up in regards to the upgrade option, but I am a realist and would rather have a ring I love now, than essentially "wait" for the ring I want in some nebulous promise of a "future" upgrade. Life gets in the way of your plans for any "extra" money you have, and my fiancee and I do want to save for a house relatively soon... I can see the handwriting on the wall, so to speak, and don't think the larger diamond/solitaire setting idea would fit into our long-term goals as a married couple. The upgrade would get swept under the rug and would only emerge if I nagged him into it (and I would rather eat fire ants than become a nag about this).

EBree, your feelings about antique/estate jewelry had me nodding my head in agreement. A good friend of mine suggested looking at pawn shops for older rings at a good price. Again, I hope no one is gasping in horror at my statements! LOL

So, now I've got one more question for the wise ladies in Rocky Talky: what exactly are you sacrificing in terms of a European Mine Cut vs. a modern cut diamond? Should I try to focus on locating a transitional cut center diamond, or will an Old Mine Cut/European Mine Cut diamond sparkle at a level remotely close to what we see in modern-day diamond cuts? I don't want to get an estate ring and have it look like frozen spit!

Hm, I wonder if this will cause a huge debate now...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
As a newlywed I have to agree w/ your reasoning. We are looking to buy a house, which means saving and unfortunately all diamond projects take a back seat until we are in the house.

Have you looked at any of the antique ring options that people posted for you?
what about going w/ a center stone someone posted and then a nice, but not super expensive setting?

can you refresh everyone on your "wants" in terms of size and your budget?

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Try adiamor.com... I just had my ring reset in to a halo and it came out stunning!!! And it was $895 for 14k white gold, I know you want platinum, but white gold it beautiful and will save you money. I have plenty of pics of my setting if you would like to see it. That way you would still have about $2600 left to get a pretty decent stone. Good luck.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a link from here to start you out with settings and cuts https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-antique-cuts.32348/

OECs and OMCs are just gorgeous. I plan on getting an antique setting when I finally get to upgrade my ring. I would suggest going through your phonebook and finding local stores that carry antique jewelry so you can see the stones in person. They are each so individually cut and very unique, that I think it''s a good idea to be able to look closely at them yourself. A well cut OEC or OMC will throw off big chunks of light and brilliance, and I honestly find them more beautiful than an ideal cut modern brilliant. If you find a good one, and there are quite a few to be found, you will not be compromising any brilliance whatsoever. I think many people will also agree that these diamonds are just very unique and you will really enjoy what you get. Lastly, be sure to find a vendor that you trust so that you are completely confident in your purchase.

*M*

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a number of settings all ranging in price from $1200-$2000 and all in platinum as you said you ideally wanted. I am only using WF settings and rings because I am most used to their website since we bought from them BUT you can do the same thing with all the other vendors on here.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Bead-Set-Engagement-Ring_970.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/The--Divisi--by-WF_1068.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Tiffany--Style-Bead-Set-Solitaire_953.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Pave-Knife-Edge-by-WF_961.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Diamond-Channel-Set--0-50ctw-_620.htm

And a number of diamonds all around between $1500 and $2000 give or take . . . there are literally DOZENS more in the same price range. I am not sure you were even looking for rounds cuz I gotta run to my guitar lesson but hopefully this will give you some ideas. Good Luck.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=151550,151535,114356,114370

curlyq_hw

Rough_Rock
Okay, here are my "wants":

1) Center stone no smaller than .50, would like round-cut because it looks the best on my stubby finger
2) Platinum (I am still hoping for this, ladies! Don''t hate me)
3) Side stones, either pave or melee, not too picky about this
4) Interesting setting, either milgrain, filigree, etc.

I stole a picture from Gliterata''s profile, the ring on the left is one that I would LOVE to find for myself. And yes, I do realize her center diamond is waaaay bigger than what I can afford! I just like the setting. A whole bunch.

curlyq_hw

Rough_Rock
The one on the left is a ring I would snatch up in a heartbeat:

Hring121.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here is my .51 G VS2 Old European Cut in an antique-inspired setting, just for your perusal. It''s only 14kt, though, not platinum.

Kerri OEC.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
The setting now has an aquamarine in it (diamond was briefly in a ring and now is a pendant) but the pic shows a little more of the setting.

Kerri acqua.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
And the last is to show the fire (ignore the water smudge) of the OEC.

Kerri OEC fire.jpg

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i think this one is pretty. it''s also from engagementrings.com and has a round stone (0.84 carats), filigree, and side stones. it''s in your price range at $3250.

there are many great options on that site. you should definitely check it out. i love the oval dtnyc posted!

9162A.jpg

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
this one is a little over budget at $3850, but if you like it maybe you can contribute a little bit.
the center stone is 0.82 carat, F, VS1. i think the ring is beautiful.

9105A.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another thought...if you know exactly what type of setting you would want, you could buy your dream setting and put a CZ in it until you and your fi can afford the diamond to go with it. Just a thought...

curlyq_hw

Rough_Rock
I'm back again, because I just can't leave this topic alone. Ever.

Thank you for all the helpful links, I was so gratified to see Trocadero as another poster's "go to" site. I heart Trocadero, they have lots of pretty rings on their site.

I found a mounting I like from Leigh Jay Nacht or Antique Engagement Rings. I posted the link, it is stock #L1014 or the 3rd ring from the top if no one can be bothered to match the stock number. I think this mounting is platinum, can anyone with better eyesight than me tell if the 2nd photo shows "PLAT" on the inside of the band? The mounting description neglects to say what type of metal it is, darnit!

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2

Anywho, now my question is, if the mounting is only $775 (and would I have to pay sales tax since the mounting is in NY and I am in CA? That would be SWEET if I could escape the sales tax demons)... the mounting itself is described as holding a 1.5-2ct center stone. Which makes me think "Yikes!" because 1) that is WAAAY bigger than a .50- under .75 center stone, and 2) Even with a mounting that's el-cheapo, can we even afford a diamond that big? And can we "cheat" with the diamond size, or will the center stone fall out if I'm talking with my hands one day? That would be really sucky. And I am a big "hand talker", so this could very well happen.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should be able to avoid the sales tax, but you''d have to ask them whether the setting can be made to fit a smaller stone. Some settings can, and some cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results