shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best cut for an Emerald Cut???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbbiomed

Rough_Rock
I found one site that explained the international cut grading for emerald cuts and I have looked at the price comparison at this site. When I look at the price comparison sheet here and prices of diamonds, they differ tremendously. I found things like: a 2B F-VVS1 stone, average price at $6644/Ct and a 3A F-VVS1 stone, average price at $6830/Ct. How can that be???Also, when I look at price list of vendors online, I can see two of the same characteristic diamond, except for cut and they don't follow the logic of better cut is more expensive.. I have seen that between 58%-69% depth and table are a 2A or 2B cut. Also, the percentages ar a wide range of numbers.Can someone straighten me out on the cut percentages of an emerald cut diamond??? What to look for in an emerald cut if I see 5 comperable diamonds?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sbbiomed,Pricescope uses the system of D.Atlas and AGA for fancies. It is the best grading system available today: http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt.htm Prices shown in the price stats merely an average prices for the stones found in the web.You are right, sometimes these prices are not consistent with the cut grade especially for fancies.In your case one 3A class emerald shape stone:
Carat Color Clarity Depth Table Lab Gdl Cul Sym Pol Flr Measurements $/Crt

1.79 F VVS1 67.1% 70% GIA tn-md no gd gd no 8.61*5.93*3.98 $6766is more expensive than 2B:
1.53 F VVS1 64% 69% GIA thin no gd gd no 8.18-5.78-3.70 $6336

I hope experts will share their opinion on this question.

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
For emerald cut diamonds the recommended length to width ratio is 1.50:1 to 1.75:1.
I would recommend a table from 59 to 68%.
I would recommend a depth percentage from 60 to 69%. Crown angles should be in the range from 32 to 36 degrees. The girdle should be in the range of 'thin to thick'. The polish and symmetry should be in the range of 'good to excellent'. The 'very good' and 'excellent' ratings are preferable however, 'good' is totally acceptable. The above information should serve as a good guideline as to how your emerald cut diamond rates in terms of cut. If it meets all of the above standards then you certainly have a well cut diamond. Thanks.Martin Sheffield, President
U.S.A. Certed Diamonds www.usacerteddiamonds.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will find little relationship to cut quality in "asking price" for fancy shapes, especially emerald, radiant and princess cuts". The cut grading I developed were created with an expert's eye toward visual beauty and mindful of some economic reality to allow reasonable deviation from the ideal cut round models that most agree are very well defined.Diamond dealers tend to ask the smartest prices for finely cut stones because the picky and knowledgeable buyers that seek these properly cut gems know best what to pay for these things. They won't look at poorly cut goods unless they are very inexpensive.Diamond dealers ask more widely divergent (high, medium and low) prices for off make stones depending on their mood, their need for cash flow or how much their customer actually knows or appreciates the cut of the stone.If they believe they can get a premium price for a poorly cut stone, they give it a try. That's capitalism and free enterprise. It isn't always pretty, but it is an unregulated market.By shopping, by reading, by asking questions and by looking with your eyes, you will discern a good looking diamond when you see it. That's the essence of diamond grading and being an intelligent buyer, whether you are a dealer or a member of the public.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Sbbiomed,Wanted to chime in here. I agree with the advice you've received. I used D. Atlas site as a guide when I purchased my emerald cut. It was a great starting point to determine what type of diamonds to look at. Sometimes the length-to-width ratio can affect the pricing of the diamond as well. As someone mentioned, the "preferred" length-to-width is in the neighborhood of 1.5-1.75. However, this is completely a personal decision. It won't affect the beauty of a well-cut stone.I, personally liked the ratio in the neighborhood of 1.35-1.4. Remember also that different vendors will have different markups. You may find that two vendors may have the same stone listed and there could be a difference in price by as much as $500 or so. I also noted you mentioned VVS1 quality in your post. A well-cut VVS1 emerald cut is pretty hard to find. I spent quite a bit of time searching before I purchased my 1.19ct, F, VVS2 emerald cut.Unfortunately, you have to sift through a lot of emerald cuts to find the well-cut stones. You will find volumes of stones with tables over 70 and 75%. I agree with those that posted here that said to keep it under 70. My stone was a 65% table and 64.4% depth, and I can't tell you how many compliments my fiance has received by friends, dealers, appraisers, etc! Finally, a quick plug for Martin and IGS (usagiacerteddiamonds.com). Just wanted to say I purchased from him back in July and had a great experience. If I can help you at all, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Have fun looking!E

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Emrldforher, so glad to see you here!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results