shape
carat
color
clarity

What is rappaport value?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mlk8547

Rough_Rock
I have heard that I should not sell a diamond engagement ring for under 50-70 percent of the rappaport value. However, I don't know what a rappaport value is. The round, si1, .57 carat, F color diamond, 5.38x5.42x3.26 diamond (crysal, cloud), think to medium faceted girdle was bought from Blue Nile for $1990. We put a $400 platinum band on it. Why did a jeweler only offer $800? A company in New York offered "between $800-$1000". How reasonable is $1000? Is it reasonable to expect anything over $1000, such as $1200? Thanks All!
read.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well, unless you tell us the weight, it will be very hard to judge. Assuming it's about 0.58-0.59cts, the price your jeweler has offered you seems to be a little low.
To answer your other questions, no, I wouldn't expect to get $1400 from a jeweler. One way to get that sum would be asking your friends and family if they are looking for a diamond... At that point you may be able to get 1300-1500$.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
A diamond, like most things, are only worth as much as the next person is willing to pay for it. No need to concern yourself with Rappaport values since it is mainly information that is used in the trade to determine price. Information the consumer do not have access to nor understand how to utilize.

Your best bet for getting the highest value for the diamond would be through a private transaction - that is you sell it privatley to another person. You'll be lucky to get 50% of what you paid if you sell it to a jeweler - more like 30%.

rodent.gif

mlk8547

Rough_Rock
The weight is .57. A New York City company called "Sell Jewelry" has offered between $800-$1000. I don't want to sell it for only $800. Do you think it is possible, if I continue to look around for a company to buy it at a higher price than $1000? A private sale seems loaded with logistical issues so I will take a bit less from a company just for the ease of it, but it seems that $800-$1000 is still pretty low, especially if I send it to them and they only offer $800. Is it possible to separate the diamond from the band. Is there a market for platinum bands without diamonds?

bacon

Rough_Rock
Half of your buying price is a good selling price to another private.
Rap is a report that uses a huge catagory for cut quality. This allows a WIDE range of prices in all rap catagories. rap tend to be retail prices in my experience. That is what makes the "huge" "discounts" possible.
Someone in the trade will give you less than they can get one from thier own suppliers.
The amount you can get is limited only by your sales ability moderated to match market conditions.

Good luck

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
unless you can sell the stone privately, $1000 is the most you could expect for your diamond, and that is assuming an ideal or near ideal make (which from the price it should have been).

sorry for the bad news....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results