shape
carat
color
clarity

What is pink Obsidian?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Is it glass or is it a gemstone? I have seen some listed on vendors site. A pair of pink obsidian with very vivid pink color and look wellcut, is mentioned as gemstone. Anyone knows?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not seen or heard of a pink one.
34.gif
Do you mind sharing a link or two to where you have seen some?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:16:00 PM
Author: Chrono
I have not seen or heard of a pink one.
34.gif
Do you mind sharing a link or two to where you have seen some?
Hi Chrono, sorry I forgot to post a link but here it is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obsidian is actually a naturally formed volcanic glass. I've seen some places consider it as glass and not even a mineral, much less a gemstone because it does not have a crystalline structure. I have seen black, green, rainbow but not pink.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:32:21 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Obsidian is natural volcanic glass.

The vivid pink hues are a bit on the rare side.
Hi Richard, thanks for your response!

Can this volcanic glass be considered as gemstone as mentioned in the site?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:30:53 PM
Author: Chrono
Obsidian is actually a naturally formed volcanic glass. I've seen some places consider it as glass and not even a mineral, much less a gemstone because it does not have a crystalline structure. I have seen black, green, rainbow but not pink.
Thanks Chrono, learned something new.
34.gif
That puts the glass in a different perspective, had for a moment thought it might stand for synthetic!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 4:36:48 PM
Author: megeve

Date: 7/8/2009 4:32:21 PM
Obsidian is natural volcanic glass.

The vivid pink hues are a bit on the rare side.
Hi Richard, thanks for your response!

Can this volcanic glass be considered as gemstone as mentioned in the site?
Hmmm, that''s a good question.

A gem"stone" is usually considered to be a crystallized mineral, so in that sense it''s not.

But then again, neither is opal or amber, and they''re referred to as gemstones.

Since it''s naturally occurring I would think it''s okay to refer to it as a gemstone, but that would be my personal opinion. I don''t think the vendor is being intentionally misleading, if that''s what you''re asking.

Moldavite is another naturally occuring glass (created from the heat of meteor strikes) which is often referred to as a gemstone in its transparent green hue.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Richard would you please share with us how one would seperate natural pink obsidian from man made glass.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From what I hear, most of the coloured obsidian is man made. I would hesitate to buy any and make sure the vendor is reputable. Asking if it is natural is also a good idea.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 5:09:50 PM

Hmmm, that's a good question.

A gem'stone' is usually considered to be a crystallized mineral, so in that sense it's not.

But then again, neither is opal or amber, and they're referred to as gemstones.

Since it's naturally occurring I would think it's okay to refer to it as a gemstone, but that would be my personal opinion. I don't think the vendor is being intentionally misleading, if that's what you're asking.

Moldavite is another naturally occuring glass (created from the heat of meteor strikes) which is often referred to as a gemstone in its transparent green hue.
Thats an interesting insight! Never really thought of it but you are right! I can see now the vendors point of view in regard to these glass!

Ditto CMW, please share with us your take how one would separate natural pink obsidian from man made glass.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 5:37:54 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
From what I hear, most of the coloured obsidian is man made. I would hesitate to buy any and make sure the vendor is reputable. Asking if it is natural is also a good idea.
Hi Lady-Disdain

From what I read, this vendor is a honest and trusted vendor. I don''t think he is misleading information, I just would like to know why glass material is referred to as gemstone. Richard has a good explanation and has given an interesting insight of his view above.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like some artificially colored/treated volcanic glass. Does everyone remember "Helenite?" When Mt. St. Helens erupted, it formed volcanic glass (obsidian) and it was treated green. Basically green glass with a fancy marketing name and all the "hoo ha" about coming from a famous eruption probably helped it to sell. I'm not a fan of obsidian because glass is very low RI as we all know, and if it's treated "vivid pink" (as you described it)," well, what's the point? I HIGHLY suspect it's treated because that color, vivid pink, doesn't come along often in nature.

For a rock collector, I think obsidian is a nice curiosity in it's natural form. As a gemstone, um, well I'm very lukewarm to it, and I've seen Moldavite. If you like brownish olive colored glass, well, you would like Moldavite.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 5:24:29 PM
Author: colormyworld
Richard would you please share with us how one would seperate natural pink obsidian from man made glass.
While gas bubbles and flow lines will occur in both natural and manmade glass, natural glass will often have stubby needle like inclusions, crystal like inclusions and may be banded under magnification.

To further help in separation manmade glass usually exhibits rounded facet edges, concave facets, and an "orange peel" finish on some facets. This is due to rapid polishing, while manmade glass usually has much more care taken with it, similar to natural stones.

While manmade glass has a wide range of specific gravity and refraction (2.30 to 4.50 and 1.47 to 1.70), obisidian has a much more specific s.g. and r.i. (2.40 and 1.49).

In addition the overall appearance is usually quite different between manmade and natural glass.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 5:37:54 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Natural obsidian commonly occurs in gray, black, brown, yellowish brown, brownish yellow, orange and red.

It more rarely occurs in green, blue, purple or pink.

I agree that asking if it is natural is a good idea. The most common imitation of colored obsidian is manmade glass.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 6:48:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It sounds like some artificially colored/treated volcanic glass. Does everyone remember ''Helenite?'' When Mt. St. Helens erupted, it formed volcanic glass (obsidian) and it was treated green. Basically green glass with a fancy marketing name and all the ''hoo ha'' about coming from a famous eruption probably helped it to sell. I''m not a fan of obsidian because glass is very low RI as we all know, and if it''s treated ''vivid pink'' (as you described it),'' well, what''s the point? I HIGHLY suspect it''s treated because that color, vivid pink, doesn''t come along often in nature.

For a rock collector, I think obsidian is a nice curiosity in it''s natural form. As a gemstone, um, well I''m very lukewarm to it, and I''ve seen Moldavite. If you like brownish olive colored glass, well, you would like Moldavite.
The appeal to many people for natural glasses like obsidian and moldavite is that they are indeed natural forming glasses from a catastrophic natural event, such as a volcano or meteor strike.

"Helenite" was a little bit different. It was volcanic ash from the Mt. St. Helens eruption transformed to glass through a manmade process. Still a bit fetching in its connection with a catastrophic natural event (and certainly worth the inexpensive price), but not as rare as natural glass created through natural means.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Obsidean of that color is super super rare...I have never heard of or even seen pink. I do have a friend in mexico who has found some real deal green/rainbow in desolate mtns. of old mexico. Here is a pic of it he sent me a few months ago right after finding it..pretty rare stuff i don''t even know about pink..might want to be wary

green ob.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/8/2009 4:34:03 PM
Ahhh, Chrono you beat me. I owe you a hamburger.
Cool! BBQ’s on you at the next cookout.
25.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree that I have not heard of pink but of many other muter colours such as green, black, brown and rainbow. I wonder if such a vivid pink is so rare, why is it so inexpensive for what FG claims to be untreated natural pink obsidian?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curious and curioser. I just checked Mindat and the only pinkish obsidian listed is from the western US.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/9/2009 12:04:25 AM

Date: 7/8/2009 6:48:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It sounds like some artificially colored/treated volcanic glass. Does everyone remember ''Helenite?'' When Mt. St. Helens erupted, it formed volcanic glass (obsidian) and it was treated green. Basically green glass with a fancy marketing name and all the ''hoo ha'' about coming from a famous eruption probably helped it to sell. I''m not a fan of obsidian because glass is very low RI as we all know, and if it''s treated ''vivid pink'' (as you described it),'' well, what''s the point? I HIGHLY suspect it''s treated because that color, vivid pink, doesn''t come along often in nature.

For a rock collector, I think obsidian is a nice curiosity in it''s natural form. As a gemstone, um, well I''m very lukewarm to it, and I''ve seen Moldavite. If you like brownish olive colored glass, well, you would like Moldavite.
The appeal to many people for natural glasses like obsidian and moldavite is that they are indeed natural forming glasses from a catastrophic natural event, such as a volcano or meteor strike.

''Helenite'' was a little bit different. It was volcanic ash from the Mt. St. Helens eruption transformed to glass through a manmade process. Still a bit fetching in its connection with a catastrophic natural event (and certainly worth the inexpensive price), but not as rare as natural glass created through natural means.
Thanks for the clarifications and corrections Richard. I had thought that Helenite was obsidian.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve emailed Forevergemstones and they have replied saying that this is a natural gemstone created by mother earth. He continued to say that Forevergemstones never sell man made gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless there was a lab report indicating natural color, I doubt I''d place that much trust in forevergemstones. Sorry, but the reputation just isn''t the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results