shape
carat
color
clarity

What is one thing about you that might surprise people who know you?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That I've been through a considerable amount of trauma as a child and teen.
I have quite a lot of PTSD also but I've had years of therapy and am well aware of my triggers.

I've been through quite a bit for a 26 year old. Also, when and if I choose to divulge the incredibly personal information to someone they always look at me with eyes that say "How are you standing? How are you alive".

I think people would be surprised because I come off as the funny-goofy girl who wants to see others smiling and I seem so well balanced in life.
While my trauma has caused much grief and I've mourned pieces of me, I feel as though I'm incredibly strong.
You truly arent aware of your own mental strength until you're bent and broken; and it's tested.
It also has made me into such a mother bear; not only to my own daughter (I wish an ******* would...) but to all others. I work in healthcare now and have a strong sense of moral obligation, justice, and am overall extremely protective of patients; especially their dignity and modesty.

I used to hate that I have been through so much and felt broken but after having my child at 20 and maturing more I see that it has all happened for a greater purpose.
I still get jealous sometimes when i meet someone whose biggest grief is my perceived lowest but I've truly learned a lot and i love the person that I am and the woman that I keep evolving into.

❤ hugs to anyone out there right now (logged on or lurking) who is going through current trauma or having an episode. Things do get better...and time truly does heal. Let yourself feel those emotions and then pick yourself up and move on. You will be whole again. :kiss2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That I haven’t left my house alone for over 6 years. I believe I will faint if I do. I don’t even try. If I’m in a supermarket/shop/anywhere with my husband or daughter and they are out of sight I freak out. The dizziness begins immediately. I’m about to start a course of cognitive behaviour therapy.

Also this is extremely interesting to me. I don't want to pry for more information as it sounds so difficult and stressful but if i could look it up myself that would be great! Is there a medical term for this type of anxiety?
I've never heard of this and am intrigued.
I hope things get better for you! Socializing sounds like it'd induce those anxieties/fears so i bet it's hard to make friends.
What is the most common treatment for this? Medication or exposure therapy?

Again, sending love your way that it gets better!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have perfect pitch and if someone sings a note I can tell them what it is. My boyfriend is endlessly amused by this and will twang out a note on the guitar to hear me yell "G!" (or whatever) from another room lol. Most people don't know this about me, but probably wouldn't care.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I haven’t left my house alone for over 6 years. I believe I will faint if I do. I don’t even try. If I’m in a supermarket/shop/anywhere with my husband or daughter and they are out of sight I freak out. The dizziness begins immediately. I’m about to start a course of cognitive behaviour therapy.

@Maisie I’m sending you every bit of healing vibes and prayers I have in my body right now. I know how fears can become reality very quickly, and phobias...as unfounded as they are...can take over your life. Sending positive thoughts that your cognitive behavioral therapy helps relieve some of this pain ❤️

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also this is extremely interesting to me. I don't want to pry for more information as it sounds so difficult and stressful but if i could look it up myself that would be great! Is there a medical term for this type of anxiety?
I hope things get better for you! Socializing sounds like it'd induce those anxieties/fears so i bet it's hard to make friends.

I believe it’s called agoraphobia.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
That despite growing up on the beaches of California where almost no one has ever seen a firearm, I can shoot like Annie Oakley with a firearm or a bow and field dress a deer solo. Odd side note: I was a one time vegetarian but decided I was okay with eating meat if Bambi got to run around and procreate, eat grasses I planted, drank water I tested, etc. rather than be bred in a stockyard for the meat industry.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My DH and I tried for 14 years to conceive children, a roller coaster ride of emotions and lots of unsuccessful IVF cycles and miscarriages. We now have 2 gorgeous children, our forever family formed via adoption and we couldn’t be more blessed. I thank the stars everyday and the 2 brave birth mothers that gave us the greatest gift of all! Our dream of having a family took 19 years in total, adoption in Australia is a long and complicated process, but it was worth all the tears and heartache, because our family is now complete :love:.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I always thought agoraphobics don’t leave the house at all. I don’t know if there are varying degrees of it. It seems back to me actually fainting when I was out with my little boy. Over the years the anxiety just grew and grew. I can go out with other people. Going out completely alone is impossible. Thank you for your kind words :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Maisie I’m sending you every bit of healing vibes and prayers I have in my body right now. I know how fears can become reality very quickly, and phobias...as unfounded as they are...can take over your life. Sending positive thoughts that your cognitive behavioral therapy helps relieve some of this pain ❤️

Thank you so much! upload_2019-3-13_5-36-51.gif

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
When I refer to myself as an introvert people who know me, but are not particularly closest to me, they are always surprised. They always say, "I would have thought you were an extrovert."

But I'm not. I was just raised by extroverts that thought being an extrovert was 'normal' so I constantly pushed out of my comfort zone and I learned how to fake it well. It's a skill now that I use in social situations like a shield but it's not natural to me.

Layla, I'm a total introvert, and an INFJ. If you check the Myers Briggs its fascinating! The first time I read the description of my type it was like someone was talking about me.

No one can figure out my age. I was very young when I flew through my education, and have attained a professional status that is somewhat unusual in my field for a person of my age. They hear how old my kids are or how long I've worked and they over guess just because they have no idea!

I'll change my answer to this in a few years when I need to start thinking about botox. :eek2:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I'm actually quite brainy, have 2 post-grad qualifications (one of which I was awarded the "Top Student" award for), am also quite successful financially and professionally; and that my family and I came to the UK as political refugees. People usually assume wrongly that I am a "tai tai", meaning a socialite or someone married to a rich man! lol

The other thing is my age. People assume that I am a good 15-20 years younger than I am.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Layla, I'm a total introvert, and an INFJ. If you check the Myers Briggs its fascinating! The first time I read the description of my type it was like someone was talking about me.

No one can figure out my age. I was very young when I flew through my education, and have attained a professional status that is somewhat unusual in my field for a person of my age. They hear how old my kids are or how long I've worked and they over guess just because they have no idea!

I'll change my answer to this in a few years when I need to start thinking about botox. :eek2:

I've taken Myer's Briggs. We did a formal evaluation at work one year as a team building evaluation. We were all tested and then shared our results and an expert came and explained to us how our strengths and weakness compared to one another's. And then we worked on how to harmonize as a group and compliment one another. It was interesting. I don't remember what type I was anymore exactly. I remember I am I?TJ but I don't recall the rest. :)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a survivor of 4 attempted sexual assaults. All 4 occurred on separate occasions. All 4 we’re committed by different assailants. All 4 were known to me. The last attempt was made after I moved to a new community, less than a year after I moved by a police officer. Well known, highly decorated. I nearly killed him; after 3 previous attacks, I was not taking any sh*t. He begged for mercy. He’s lucky I don’t carry. I was not feeling merciful, but I let him go, anyway.
I had managed HS and College Wrestling. I was an Assistant Wrestling Coach for my son’s youth league. The only woman in my state. Probably, the only woman in history, at that time. Maybe, ever. Probably the best thing I ever did for myself, as it came in handy, each time someone tried to assault me....lol! Hence “attempted”.
I never reported any of the assaults, as it’s always difficult to prove with evidence, let alone, without. I got away, and they were in worse shape than I was...lol!
I was fortunate, as I was able to confront all 4 of them, later. Each of them had to face me, and their actions. Amazingly, each was remorseful, and apologetic. Not that it’s much consolation. I often wonder how many souls were less fortunate than I.
I pledged a Sorority, in college. I have been serving on the Advisory Board for 5 years, now. One of our Philanthropies is focused on empowering women. I am proud to say that I help to improve the circumstances of women less fortunate than I....in any way I can. :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow loving all the responses and PSers are so interesting and diverse and wonderful. Thank you all for sharing!

Surprising facts people might not know about me:

That I am an introvert but fake it pretty well for the comfort levels of others when necessary and most think I am an extrovert. However I am an extroverted introvert or an ambivert. I need my time away from people to recharge.

I have a big appetite and eat a lot. My dh still marvels at how much food I can eat lol.

I am not spontaneous at all and I crave sameness most of the time.

I have not taken an airplane trip since 2004 yet I used to fly all the time and have traveled to many different countries. I don't miss traveling. See above comment.

My age. Generally a surprise if you didn't already know.

That I have a contingency plan for almost everything. I like to be prepared for what I can be.

I would rather have a few true friends than many casual friends.

I often start with dessert first.

life-is-short-eat-dessert-first-mr-yoda-8198703.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending (((hugs))) and healing vibes to all the PSers who have experienced and/or are currently experiencing trauma in their life and dealing with challenges. You are amazing, brave, strong and courageous women.

ea01aa6d668c16a9e9f6de82dc292941.gif

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Top of my bucket list.

___
I agree about the rest - half of the family have always been transhumant shepherds; you couldn't do with a flock what it wouldn't do.
Dooooo iiiiiiiit! There’s no time like the present and there are some bows out there that don’t require too many pounds of pull. Target practice with a bow is really enjoyable. :D

Huge hugs to all you wonderful women for all you’ve been through, all your triumph over trauma and drama and healthy crisis and pain. There are so many of us.

ean

Brilliant_Rock
That I cuss and drink. I am a tiny framed woman and often keep to myself at work so everyone just assumes I’m this soft spoken woman that probably never yelled in her life (DH would just laugh at that assumption :lol:). Imagine their faces when we first hung out after work after declining their invitation for a year.

I have a bachelor’s degree. People often assume I just got out of highschool. They always think I’m just 17-18.

I don’t drive. I am deathly afraid of driving. I believe I will just be a danger to myself and to others if I force myself to. Luckily DH drives me to and from work, and everywhere I want to go, and has never forced me to learn how to drive. I got my learner’s and we tried driving in an empty parking lot, well,that did not go over too well. I think this mostly stems from the fact that I grew up in the city that had public transportaion everywhere and women in my country don’t often drive. I moved halfway across the world to a small town in the US where it is required to drive to go anywhere. Maybe I’ll learn one day.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good thread Missy.

I will play and give you the first 5 that come to mind.
People would never guess my age, they usually don’t believe me when I tell them. I figure it’s my maturity level. :lol:
I joke when I’m nervous.
I have social anxiety. I accept invitations then try to find a way to get out of going.
Miller moths scare me a lot like a total phobia.
When I took piano lessons as a kid I’d have my teacher play the song for me first because I could play it by ear rather than read the notes. She caught on though. Sadly I can only play chop sticks now.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
My dad shot my mom in front of me, was going to shoot me but I escaped. He committed suicide. I was 19. She lived for another 22 years. Love you Mom.

( I don't tell people. They see me as damaged goods.)

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Q

Queenie60

That I grew up in the most dysfunctional family you could not even imagine. Drug/alcohol addicted parents, starving at times because their drugs and alcohol were more important than food. Fighting, verbal abuse, you name it. And despite all of it, I was a great student, educated myself and married well. And today, I have produced and raised a good family with a loving husband of 30 years.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad shot my mom in front of me, was going to shoot me but I escaped. He committed suicide. I was 19. She lived for another 22 years. Love you Mom.

( I don't tell people. They see me as damaged goods.)
hug7.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results