shape
carat
color
clarity

what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Will someone please reply, even if you don't know the answer?? :D

I have a princess cut diamond that looks great, but under certain light and when viewed at an angle the corners appear hazy/gray (under indoor lighting) and almost brownish (in natural sunlight). What would be the cause for this? When viewed from the top it is not noticeable and is quite brilliant and fiery. {Diamond specs as follows: .75 carat, color H, clarity vs2, 4.82x4.79x3.80, table 76%, depth 79.5%, crown 10.6%, pavillion 42.6%, no culet, no flourescence, polish/sym good, girdle med to sl thick}

Any help is greatly appreciated in determing why the 'coloring' appears. My best guess is that the clarity is less than vs2 as reported on the EGL/UGS certificate.

mmmosb

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Well, Barry said it could be clarity enhanced/internal fractures.

Any other thoughts?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just a consumer so not much point in my replying as I do not know what it is. I would advise you to get it checked by a jeweller in your area there may be some who have a gemologist on staff.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input Pyramid. I am definitely going to a local jeweler in my area to have it checked.

Can anyone explain how a diamond is clarity enhanced?

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
We'll, I certainly don't know the answer but you're welcome to my Amateur guesses!

To things jump to mind.

First, the corners may leak light big time and what you are seeing is your shirt or something else close by that is refracting in through the corners. I suppose you could try it against different backgrounds and see if the color in the corners changes. It may be the mounting if it is already set and not a loose stone.

Second, the apparent color in fancies tends to be more prevalent in the corners. Maybe your intense examination is showing you the collection of color in the corners. If you are suspicious of the clarity grading why not be suspicious of the color grading as well? If it's a not-so-well cut I or J maybe you are seeing the stone's real color. I can only imagine how this wreaks havoc on the grading of fancies, especially large ones.

How's that?
1.gif

R/A

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
R/A

Thanks for the input ... I can safely say it's not the color refracting from another object. I tested that .. it's consistently the hazy gray indoors and more toward brownish in sunlight. I thought the color grading could be less as well, but b/c the 'coloring' only occurs at an angle and usually more hazy than anything else that it had to do with inclusions. Perhpaps it does have to do with the setting ... it was purchased as a loose stone and this 'coloring' was not apparent, not even in the first few weeks ... maybe it cracked since then? Also, according to the numbers only, the cut is a 2b.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I crapped out again, eh? I guess Dave, Bill and Rich can feel good abobut their job security!
1.gif

As for the fixed and filled inclusions, try searching for "clarity enhanced" (or "CE") diamonds and "fracture filling" here at Pricescope. Tons of interesting info is available.

mmmosb

Rough_Rock
Thanks, and thanks again. All your thoughts and info are so very helpful. My fiance is a wonderful man, but I really think he may have gotten a bad deal on my stone/ring, and I don't want to hurt his feelings so I really find this forum a great asset. Hence, your input it so valued. If you could recomend a jewler/appraiser in the area that would be great. I'm in the Washington DC Metro area.

mmmosb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results