shape
carat
color
clarity

What is "flat faceted"?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It means that it is a traditional faceting design of sorts or a regular cut. This is in comparison to the fancier cuts like concave faceting or "bubble" designs and such.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Cookie ~

Aren't John Dyer's gems A-M-A-Z-I-N-G?!? I am definitely a stickler for precision cutting and his, is well, extraordinary.

Chrono answered the "flat facets" question, but only you can decide if that level of cutting warrants a higher price tag. After reading other PSers posts, it is clear that people widely vary with regard to what they consider worthwhile or valuable (color for some, cut for others, etc.) Again, I am in love with his boy-genius approach to cutting. That said, I haven't sprung for his $1300 amethyst I want sooo badly (yet) either.

Let us know what you decide.

~ faegrace

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie|1305656449|2924083 said:
I was admiring John Deyer's gemstones, and noticed some of them were "flat faceted". What does that mean?

I am kind of interested in this stone: http://johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Quartz1294.html
Do you think the cut justifies the retail price (almost $2k)?

When you are buying John Dyer's stones, you are not just buying a gemstone, but a work of art, so for many collectors, his prices are justified. Can you find an enormous cut Quartz for far less, yes, you can (I did), but you are paying for his cutting. It's what your priorties are.

Uli of Osirisgems.com also precision cuts huge quartz and other crystals if you're looking for one on a budget.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Chrono, agrace, and TL. I was looking at his site for pleasure =) , and do not really need a new stone right away.

John Dyer

Rough_Rock
Trade
Glad you guys like them!

Chrono was right, flat faceted refers to flat surfaces that are the "traditional" method of gem cutting. I of course try to have a better polish, cooler design and other advantages to most traditional commercial stones but the facets are flat just as in a traditional gem.

I use this to distinguish the from Concave faceted gems (Gems with surfaces that curve inward, traditionally to gem cutters that means they curve in only one direction in spite of the fact that technically "concave" could also mean surfaces that curve in two directions).

And my "Combination cuts" are what some would term "Fantasy" cuts and are all the wild and woolly things that don't fit under any other heading. ;-)

As to value, I price them where I feel I have to in order to have a viable business, you may buy them if you wish and enjoy looking at them if you don't. That way everyone is happy. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results