shape
carat
color
clarity

What is feather?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tuer

Rough_Rock
I was told that A feather is like a longer crystal--usually transparent or white. Can it be seen by naked eye? Will it affect the brilliant of the stone?

The feather is off to the side and underneath. Color: G, Clarity: VS2, overall HCA score is 0.6.

Thanks.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A "feather" is a fancy word for a "crack" within the diamond.
1.gif
In the industry we don't like to use the word crack since that sounds too harsh. Truth be told "feathers" are the most common types of inclusions found within diamond and are found in VVS2 - I3 clarity diamonds. The only feathers that should really concern you are those that break the surface or ones that run from one side of the diamond to another. On our website if you browse our tutorial on clarity, gallery of inclusions or diamonds for sale I have many pictures of what feathers look like at various magnifications.

Hope that helps,
Rhino

tuer

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

I found the feather in this diamond is from the edge (underneath,length: 3~4/40 of the diameter). Will this be a problem?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
A feather is a polite term for a crack, it is called a "feather" because they often look like one:

gia11566633gs3f.jpg

Here is the same inclusion viewed using diffused light:

gia11566633gs3g.jpg

Don't rely on the plotting diagram on the lab report to provide you with an accurate representation of the extent of the inclusion, get clarity photographs like these before ordering the stone so you know exactly what to expect when you view the diamond through a loupe... Now interestingly enough, the feather you see here is not located on the side of the stone like it appears in the photographs above... What you see above is actually a reflection of the feather which is really located within the body of the stone in the lower half... Right here:

gia11566633gs3h.jpg

So while it appears to break the girdle edge in the top two pictures, it is actually located well within the body of the stone and presents no risk to the durability of the stone... But what if it was located along the edge like it appears to be in the top two pictures? Well then, we'd recommend that you continue your search... A picture is worth a thousand words, we recommend you get a few before making a decision
2.gif

tuer

Rough_Rock
Thanks niceice!

The pictures are so interesting and really helpful! I will ask for clarity photographs for this stone.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Boy, I just love it when you get going with the pictures!
appl.gif

Very cool....

-Tim

optimized

Shiny_Rock
tuer,

Out of curiosity, is the dealer who's trying to sell you the diamond the one who told you a feather is a crystal? If so, you may want to consider whether that speaks to the trustworthiness of the dealer. A dealer making such a claim could indicate a basic dishonesty or a fundamental ignorance that may be worth avoiding. Just a thought....

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results