shape
carat
color
clarity

What is Cinderella Turquoise?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at an antique turquoise necklace this past weekend at a local jewelry store. The sales associate said it was "Cinderella Turquoise." Of course I've heard of Sleeping Beauty turquoise, but Cinderella? What is that? The necklace was very similar to the color of Sleeping Beauty to my eyes, it was that magical shade of blue-green.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I collect Native American jewelry and can say with confidence there is no Cinderella turquoise mine.
I direct you to who I humbly consider the preeminent vendor in the field of Native American arts, Garlands in Sedona.
My grandparents purchased from them sine the 1950’s and I have visited every year and, of course, purchased a piece!
The link here shows the major American turquoise mines.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if she meant Sleeping Beauty but got her fairytales confused and said Cinderella by mistake. I'm not buying it because I'm not in the market for turquoise, but I was curious if you all had heard of this or not. I certainly hadn't.

Its not Native American jewelry, its an English Edwardian necklace with old cut diamonds. It was very beautiful, but the kind of piece I'd only wear to a gala or opening night at the opera which only happens a few times a year if that (in non-pandemic times) so not worth it to me until my wishlist of staple pieces is complete.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 7.13.36 PM.png

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I almost wonder if she meant Sleeping Beauty but got her fairytales confused and said Cinderella by mistake. I'm not buying it because I'm not in the market for turquoise, but I was curious if you all had heard of this or not. I certainly hadn't.

Its not Native American jewelry, its an English Edwardian necklace with old cut diamonds. It was very beautiful, but the kind of piece I'd only wear to a gala or opening night at the opera which only happens a few times a year, so not worth it to me.

Hi RunningwithScissors. I did a little research and think that perhaps your Victorian necklace Is made of Persian turquoise not Arizona Sleeping Beauty Mine turquoise. What I found is that Sleeping Beauty mine only discovered turquoise deposits in the early 1900s, after it had been mining for gold and copper for years. But the Victorian Era was over by 1901. Sleeping Beauty turquoise is Robins Egg Blue like Persian turquoise, so the sales associate might just have gotten it mixed up with Persian. If it was English Edwardian, it was still likely Persian turquoise.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Hi RunningwithScissors. I did a little research and think that perhaps your Victorian necklace Is made of Persian turquoise not Southwest Sleeping Beauty Mine turquoise. What I found is that Sleeping Beauty mine only discovered turquoise deposits in the early 1900s, after it had been mining for gold and copper for years. But the Victorian Era was over by 1901. Sleeping Beauty turquoise is Robins Egg Blue like Persian turquoise, so the sales associate might just have gotten it mixed up with Persian.

Thanks for the insight! I don't know much about turquoise. That's why I love PS, I learn so much!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if she meant Sleeping Beauty but got her fairytales confused and said Cinderella by mistake. I'm not buying it because I'm not in the market for turquoise, but I was curious if you all had heard of this or not. I certainly hadn't.

Its not Native American jewelry, its an English Edwardian necklace with old cut diamonds. It was very beautiful, but the kind of piece I'd only wear to a gala or opening night at the opera which only happens a few times a year if that (in non-pandemic times) so not worth it to me until my wishlist of staple pieces is complete.

Oh my goodness that is magnificent.
Sorry I jumped to Native American!
I’m like a kid in a candy store since joining PS!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cinderella turquoise!
Thats funny.
Here in the Southwest, this would get a big laugh.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Efleon

We have several turquoise jewelry threads. Here is just one of them you might enjoy!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
@Efleon

We have several turquoise jewelry threads. Here is just one of them you might enjoy!

OMGoodness!
I cannot wait to jump into turquoise!!!
I’m still working my way through SMTB
Then I will dive in over there.
Literally glued to this forum:read:

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock

Cinderella turquoise? Does it turn to worthless grey stone after midnight or something?

Beautiful necklace!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness that is magnificent.
Sorry I jumped to Native American!
I’m like a kid in a candy store since joining PS!

No worries! Welcome to PS, we are happy you are here! This site should come with a disclaimer that it is addicting (but in a good way!) :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results