shape
carat
color
clarity

what is best way to sell ? Rubelite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock

hi! I would like to know is any good place to sell *only center stone*?expect e-bay

I am thinking to sell this Rubelite Tourmaline which about 20ct( I am looking for the paper now)
I am making some ring by using the diamond''s so I don''t use the Rubelite Tourmaline any more.
the Jeweler asked me that if I want to sell the Rubelite Tourmaline because their customer is looking for
big Rubelite Tourmaline stone .(<- I haven''t hear the price yet)
and also big yellow sapphire 20ct up( but not the good color I believe it''s bit too light) which I already used all the diamond
to make eternity ring and gave to my mom.
I wonder if big stone is not in style nowadays
those ring was original order & gift from my DH but
7.gif
I did wear maybe only couple month and it''s was bit too big...
was not much for me.
38.gif

some friends says make necklace or etc but I am not much interested with pink or yellow stone.

if anybody knows good place to sell. please let me know!

thank you
1.gif

rube33333.jpg

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Urggggg
16.gif

it''s not good looking witout sidestone...

yellowsapphire3333.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/13/2006 11:51:58 PM
Author:flower12

hi! I would like to know is any good place to sell *only center stone*?expect e-bay

I am thinking to sell this Rubelite Tourmaline which about 20ct( I am looking for the paper now)
I am making some ring by using the diamond''s so I don''t use the Rubelite Tourmaline any more.
the Jeweler asked me that if I want to sell the Rubelite Tourmaline because their customer is looking for
big Rubelite Tourmaline stone .(<- I haven''t hear the price yet)

and also big yellow sapphire 20ct up( but not the good color I believe it''s bit too light) which I already used all the diamond
to make eternity ring and gave to my mom.
I wonder if big stone is not in style nowadays
those ring was original order & gift from my DH but
7.gif
I did wear maybe only couple month and it''s was bit too big...
was not much for me.
38.gif

some friends says make necklace or etc but I am not much interested with pink or yellow stone.

if anybody knows good place to sell. please let me know!

thank you
1.gif

FLower12: The problem with the secondary market is you will never get what the stone is really worth or what you would typically pay through a vendor or gem dealer. Personally, I like rubellite tourmaline. I would first spend the trouble to get an independent fair market value assessment done on the stone. Ask a qualified gemmologist to give you an estimate based on a similiar sized atone with similiar quality would go for on the market. There is high retail and there is appraisals based on insurance purposes, but I would lean towards a "fair" market assessment from an independent appraiser.(Someone who does not have a vested interest in profitting from a transaction). A tourmaline over 20 carats would carry a premium, but how much of a premium would depend on the quality.

From there I would try to market the stone maybe on cosignment, Tell a jeweler what you want for the stone based on the fair market assessment from the independent appraiser and see if he/she can get close to matching that price. Be willing to budge a little, but don''t overcompromise. With this revenue the jeweler will take a percentage for the sale or if you promise to make your next purchase through him maybe he would give full credit towards the stone. I would stay away from e-bay if your looking to bring a better price from the market based on the quality of the stone. The first part is getting it appraised. This will cost a little money, but may be well worth the effort.

Big stones are beautiful and I believe the wearer dictates the style. Personally I would put a stone that big in a pendant to showcase the gem. I know your looking for added capital to make another ring, but it''s just a thought.

Hope this Helps...
35.gif

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you had more photos and an indication of clarity, it would be easier to have an estimation.

Abvout selling on ebay, it''s possible but you won''t be able without a good feedback ; you may find someone who would sell it for you.

There is a market for big stones but it is not always easy to understand, typicaly rubellite will carry a premium in big sizes, while yellow sapphire won''t.
In yellow sapphires, the heated vs unheated status is important, is your stone heated ? (of course Berylium treated is much less expensive) and deeper, orangy colors are the most appreciated.

You may try to sell to a gem dealer, but all will offer you about the price they would pay in Bangkok or Columbo, it will be a serious cut off from the retail price, of course.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Joshthank you very much for very well explain.
I only know that this stone is very beautiful and nice stone.
and I also know that I can't sell more than 1/3 what I paid so I just got wonder why the Jeweler wanted to buy it.
since they can buy gem stone as wholesale price .
first I need to send them to David A for appraisal first ,then talk with the jeweler or consignment like your advice.
yes, pendant is good idea but I already have couple rubellite witch I never wear for last 20years
Josh, thank you very much again!
colorchange,thank you very much for your post.
I don't have any idea of those stone's detail because I got them from trusted Jeweler so I didn't care so much about it
as long as I like the stone
but from you and Josh's advice I will appraise those stone in the future ,it's good idea because I will see what I have.
thank you very much for your advice

!

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Take care, most appraisers will give just much over valued prices. You should rather trust an very honnest jeweller or gem dealer.
How much is you jeweller offering of it ? What carat price did you pay it ?
Yellow sapphire is quite an easy market, unlike blue sapphire, padparadscha or ruby for which price estimate are very hard.
That''s also why it may make sense to offer it on ebay : photos of yellow sapphires are much more trustworthy than these of blue for instance.
Anyway, you would clearly need a certificate to make a difference with all the treated stuff offered around.

One last way is to add diamonds and have it auctionned in a well known fine jewellery auction. You may have a hard time finding the best place to auction it, though.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Flower12: I would advise you to send the stone to David Atlas as you outlined earlier. I am
in disagreement with colorchanges advice as far as using a jeweler or gem dealer. They can tell you the market conditions for a particular stone of certain quality, but an independent appraisal is the way to go.

Independent appraisals as colorchange outlines usually appraise the gem at what it would cost to replace "retail". Since you are in a situation where you are trying to sell the gem in the atmosphere of the "secondary" market being that your not a gem dealer or retailer, I am sure that Dave would be able to give you a "fair market" value for your stone based on quality and market conditions. Let Dave know your priorities and since this appraisal is not for insurance purposes he will head you in the right direction. An appraiser might also give you some feedback on how to get the most out of your money for unloading a gem onto the market. Cosigment or trade in towards purchase might be an option you could think about. I would caution you against trade in value sine a jeweler has a vested interest in making a sale and could make profit on both ends. This margin could fluctuate in your favor with the more informed you are.

Get the stones appraised and than go from there...
21.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
colorchange.thank you very much for your advice
1.gif

and sorry for late reply.
well I got the ring back ( I took all diamond's from the ring)

once I was thinking to do appraisal for the Rubelite Tourmaline but it's cost couple hundred $ to the end ( right?)
so I just sell it as is for reduce the price ( which less than 1/5 I paid ) at auction .I don't know what carat price I did pay. I made this ring as order made about 18 years ago?( something like it) at high end jeweler in the Tokyo Japan.

Josh
35.gif
yes I will ask to DA when I do appraisal

>"fair market" value for your stone based on quality and market conditions. Let Dave know your priorities and since this appraisal is not for insurance purposes he will head you in the right direction. An appraiser might also give you some feedback on how to get the most out of your money for unloading a gem onto the market. Consignment or trade in towards purchase might be an option you could think about. I would caution you against trade in value sine a jeweler has a vested interest in making a sale and could make profit on both ends. This margin could fluctuate in your favor with the more informed you are.

Josh , thank you very much for very well advice all the time!
BTW how's Alaska weather?my DH might be going Alaska!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Flower:

I am glad you are going with Dave Atlas. He is very professional and well respected contributor of this forum.
1.gif

The weather in Alaska is nice and sunny right Now. The Salmon fishing is in Full Gear and lot''s of summertime bounty Alaska Offers is being taken advantage of with all the Anglers coming through Canada. The Bald Eagle Festival is in Oct/Nov. It is the LARGEST gathering of bald eagles anywhere in the World in one Location.
6.gif

When is DH planning to come to Alaska and Whereabouts...?

I saw you mentioned Tokyo, Japan Earlier..Have you lived there...Years ago we were stationed in Okinawa Japan. Very Beautiful place...I have been to Tokyo before also...Japanese Metropolis..Very Beautiful Country..
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results