shape
carat
color
clarity

What is/ are your vice(s)? ''fess up!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...apart from diamonds, that is! LOL.

Well, mine used to be bags, LV in particular, not really so much now (only the occasional one now and then), and food, glorious food!! Food is also my hubby's. We spend far too much money on food, both eating out and at home (only the best, or near best, will do and not feeling guilty abt it at all)!
3.gif
1.gif
. Booze is also hubby's and mine though I am consciously trying to cut it down.

My best friend's is designer shoes, tons and tons of them as is her huband's. Oh, and designer clothes!!

Another friend's is property. She owns three and she herself is worth millions and yet wouldn't spend any money, and I really mean any money at all (well, not litterally nothing) on anything else, not even food!! The only thing that she does is buy properties, but not so much the stuff to put inside them!

So what's yours? And do you feel guilty abt it?

(and yes, I do feel guilty about diamonds, esp. this latest purchase I am considering, but I am sure I'll get over it!!LOL).

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Watches. I have 6 and I just bought another one.

Seafood. I can''t seem to stop eating once really good and fresh seafood is placed in front of me.

Coats. People say you only need two good coats. One formal and one informal. I can''t stop buying them! I have one in every colour and a few black ones in different textures like velvet, cashmere, leather, etc. It''s such a bad addiction I have two wardrobes and still have to sneakily hang stuff in DH''s wardrobe to make more room.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Running shoes, Wolftress you reminded me of another one of mine; coats too. Just as an example, I have 4 red coats, 4 black coats, and several various other colors and materials I didn't realize I had so many coats until my sister pointed it out!!!! I also have lots of purses and watches. It is weird I go through phases so who knows what it will be next.
33.gif

ETA: I love to buy kitchen gadgets too! At one point I had 7 garlic presses. We have an espresso machine we never use and a few food processors.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 8:22:20 PM
Author: Skippy123
Running shoes, Wolftress you reminded me of mine; coats too. Just as an example, I have 4 red coats, 4 black coats, and several various other colors and materials I didn''t realize I had so many coats until my sister pointed it out!!!! I also have lots of purses and watches. It is weird I go through phases so who knows what it will be next.
33.gif

ETA: I love to buy kitchen gadgets too! At one point I had 7 garlic presses. We have an espresso machine we never use and a few food processors.
7 garlic presses! Skippy, you must be a kitchen goddess
6.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 8:27:41 PM
Author: wolftress

7 garlic presses! Skippy, you must be a kitchen goddess
6.gif
hehee thanks, but, nope I am just a nutball! I love Williams and Sonoma and my MIL loved to cook so she would give me stuff too. She was an excellent cook! Also, have you seen all the Italian kitchen gadgets!!!
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Books, books, books. I love to read them, own them be surrounded by them...we have books in every room of our house.

ETA: I'm copying TG, but what she said...I don't shop a lot, not into designer clothes, etc. but I love to eat great food, drink great wine and travel.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Prada clothes and shoes. I'm ADDICTED to the store at their factory in Italy. It's half way between Florence and Rome. Every time I go to Italy, I come home with at least 3 new outfits and a pair of shoes. It's all 70ish % off retail, but still a little pricey for ME and therefore a vice.
30.gif
22.gif
But I just loooove their designs. Miu Miu too.

Oh, and evening dresses. I have half a dozen cocktail dresses and 4 formal gowns. I used to go to a lot of fundraisers I guess! Back in the days before I fell in love with my poor boy.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love pretty much all shopping. I love purses, makeup, clothes, stationery, shoes, accessories, watches...there is really no end to it for me. And I tend to buy pricey things, so I do think about it when I am pulling out my card and really do feel both a bit bad but grateful too. I even love housewares, dishes, gadgets, Tupperware, cookbooks, etc. (which I barely use because I could get a salad for dinner and be happy!) I definitely have a shopping disease, I freely aknowledge it. My oldest son begged me today to stop buying him clothes...he cannot even fit them all in his closet! But, he has grown and I know he needs stuff, but being a boy he is much more low maintenance!!! I would never have asked my mom to STOP buying things for me when I was a kid...never in a million years!

I get hooked on or addicted to stuff. It is really hard for me to stop sometimes. Like Skippy, I have multiple garlic presses or wine openers etc. I also love to order engraved stationery and I go in spurts like buying all new silver frames for all of my photos. I get sick of things and want to replace them, like I did recently with all my china, crystal and silver. I hated my old stuff so I replaced it all, and while I did go online and get some discounts, I still could have bought a very nice car for what I spent, and I have used the stuff twice. But I do love it when I look at it, and it does give me pleasure. I figure, life is short, so hey, might as well enjoy it! I can spend thousands one month and not feel bad, but sometimes, when I look at all my stuff and see how excessive I can be, I really do feel a bit guilty. I think it is because I do not deny myself much and I go overboard a lot. I am not a total label snob but I certainly end up buying mostly designer things. I just went shopping for a couple of cocktail dresses that I need for a couple of events coming up and spend $6500.00 on two dresses. I tell myself I have gorgeous shoes and bags at home, Jimmy Choo, Chanel, etc, but I know I will end up seeing something and buying it, which I know is not needed. So even though it makes me feel good sometimes, there is definitely that guilt because I tend to deny myself very little. I figure I should enjooy while I am young, but hate being home when the bills come!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Food and wine, for sure. "Materialistically" I don''t care for much, but won''t blink if I spend hundreds on dinner.

I don''t know if travel would be considered a vice, but I was addicted to it for sure. As soon as I came back from one trip, I decided on my next destination and was researching it obsessively. It was nuts...I used to read tripadvisor like it was the most interesting thing on the planet.

Other than that...I dunno. I think I must be boring!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, my main vice is PS itself right now! I gotta get a handle on it.
31.gif
Other than that, books are definitely a vice, but an honest vice at that. I''m a nerd.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 8:45:26 PM
Author: diamondfan
I love pretty much all shopping.
I love shopping too. I usually go about three times a week, and always have new items hanging in my closet. I am trying to cut back though because A) I waste too much time browsing when I should be doing yard work or cleaning the house - as I use my "alone time" while the kids are in school to shop and goof off
9.gif
and B) DH and I are saving up for two vacations (Hawaii & France).

My obsessions include: makeup, face & body creams, camisoles (I must own about 30 of them!), books, and sweaters. My other shopping issue is groceries. We spend over $1500 a month on food. It''s really shameful. lol (and that''s not including eating out). Why can''t I be one of those people who''s adapt at using coupons or not freaking over the thought of eating MSG? Hmmm. . . (it really is frightful how much more expensive it is to eat organic & non-genetically genetically motifed foods.)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 8:53:03 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Food and wine, for sure. ''Materialistically'' I don''t care for much, but won''t blink if I spend hundreds on dinner.

I don''t know if travel would be considered a vice, but I was addicted to it for sure. As soon as I came back from one trip, I decided on my next destination and was researching it obsessively. It was nuts...I used to read tripadvisor like it was the most interesting thing on the planet.

Not wierd, TG. I had a hard time answering the question until I saw your response and then I realized that we spend the majority of our fun money on traveling, which always involves good meals and nice meals out at home. Food is the first thing we discuss when planning a trip and usually our favorite memories revolve around delicious/special meals in different cities, or at home. My other hobby, aside from reading, are exercising and spending time outdoors, which isn''t really a vice.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 9:13:32 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Food and wine, for sure. ''Materialistically'' I don''t care for much, but won''t blink if I spend hundreds on dinner.

Not wierd, TG. I had a hard time answering the question until I saw your response and then I realized that we spend the majority of our fun money on traveling, which always involves good meals and nice meals out at home. Food is the first thing we discuss when planning a trip and usually our favorite memories revolve around delicious/special meals in different cities, or at home. My other hobby, aside from reading, are exercising and spending time outdoors, which isn''t really a vice.
Yup...food/drink is probably one of the primary reasons WHY I travel. Before TGuy became a part of my life, I decided I was going to go to Vietnam, because I''ve been into vietnamese food lately. I wanted to go to South America (Argentina) to check out the wine. I''ve been to Ireland because I was simply curious if Guiness really tastes better there. Gelato? Of course I have to venture over to Italy...

Good thing I walk a lot when I travel, otherwise I''d be pretty darn big!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 9:18:03 PM

Date: 9/6/2007 9:13:32 PM
Author: KimberlyH

Yup...food/drink is probably one of the primary reasons WHY I travel. Before TGuy became a part of my life, I decided I was going to go to Vietnam, because I''ve been into vietnamese food lately. I wanted to go to South America (Argentina) to check out the wine. I''ve been to Ireland because I was simply curious if Guiness really tastes better there. Gelato? Of course I have to venture over to Italy...

Good thing I walk a lot when I travel, otherwise I''d be pretty darn big!
We haven''t even started the traveling abroad thing, there are so many things to see and do here in the U.S. we''ll get there soon, I hope, before the whole kids thing comes into play. I am desperate to go to Ireland, France, Italy, Africa, oh the list is too long... Was the Guiness better?

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
My biggest vices are: food/drinks, make-up, perfumes and cars.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vices are, in order:

1. Shoes, especially designer shoes (Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Chloe are my faves)
2. Clothes, especially designer jeans
3. (tied) Handbags, designer of course (Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Gucci)
3. (tied) Jewelry! I''ve loved necklaces for awhile (mostly silver and yellow gold, no gemstones) and I have tons of great ones, but after finding PS I got my e-ring, a Cartier trinity ring, a super thin tri-gold braided Cartier ring, and I just got WF bezel set diamond earrings! I need to chill out, I think!
4. Eating out-I eat out at least once, if not twice a day-I could also stand to chill out on eating out!
5. Books-I love to read and I constantly buy books...I always say I''m going to go to the library more but I just love a brand new book!

I guess we all have pretty much the same vices...they can''t be bad if we all do them, right?!!
11.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love books too, and great food and wine. I am also lazy about cooking for myself, since my kids are so easy I tend to keep it simple for them and then eat a salad. Hubby gets home late and gets whatever I have in the house!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
BOOKS! Food! Wine! Here too.
2.gif

Colored stones are become a little bit of a problem too, recently. Got to admit to it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pepsi, smokes, PS, guns, Im a pack rat.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahem, books are not a vice, they are a staple of good living! And if they are a vice, then I am guilty guilty guilty. Our local used book store just went out of business, I''m so sad.

Okay, my real vices:

1) First edition printings of classic books.

2) Coats and jackets--I am so with you here, Wolftress. I adore great coats, and I absolutely cannot pass up a well cut wool jacket.

3) Etiquette. I am an etiquette junkie. It started with my love for all things F. Scott Fitzgerald, and now I''m knee deep in etiquette books, manuscripts, relics, etc.

4) Really good steak houses. I''m a Chicagoan--what can I say?

5) How do I word this one? I am obsessed with my smile, so is it a smile vice? I''ve gotten porcelain veneers on two teeth because they were smaller than they should be, done the pro teeth whitening thing, and I''m addicted to lip balm. Weird, I know. And pricey.

6) Laser hair removal. It is SO worth it, ladies, SO WORTH IT!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 11:14:58 PM
Author: Gypsy
BOOKS! Food! Wine! Here too.
2.gif

Colored stones are become a little bit of a problem too, recently. Got to admit to it.

Oh yeah. I forgot dishes and kitchen things. BIG TIME problem there. I shop at restuarants.

True story, our favorite Sushi restuarnt in NJ got these new incredible white leaf plates, and I asked the owner to pick me up a could next time he went to the restuarant supply place. And he DID. And I bought them from them.

We were at a sushi/teppanyaki last night that had the most DIVINE individual salad bowls, and I''m already planning on asking to buy a four of them... but I might have to ditch John or leave him at home before I do that again. He found it a little strange.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My main vice is designer shoes-especially Manolo Blahniks
30.gif

My other main vice is NYC. I have to have a trip planned to New York in the works, otherwise I don''t feel good! My next trip is in January and my next one after that is in July the year after, so Im happy for the moment! I LOVE NY. It''s definitely a vice as I spend sooooo much money there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfume!! As some of you already know....
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, there are so many--where to start?

Travel, pj pants, cute bags, JEANS!, cute but comfy shoes, coffeeshops (not just the drinks there but finding the best ones where I can chill and relax), big fluffy socks (I think I have about 10 pairs), hoodies, flip-flops (I have dozens and dozens and dozens of pairs), nail polish for my toes....

That should do for now.
1.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Playing Golf.
I would seriously almost cancel previous engagements if an opportunity to play at a new course came along.
Heck, I paid a ridiculous fee to join the country club this year so I could play anytime I want - plus it''s a nice course, well not so much anymore with the intense drought we''ve had. Even the fairways are starting to brown, the leaves are falling early...

Clothes.
My coworkers don''t think I''ve worn the same thing twice in three years. You just have to buy good separates to wear them interchangably. Lots of quality classic staples and the fun stuff can be sprinkled here and there. About 20 purses and 50 pairs of shoes (I love boots and coats, too.) I don''t have to have name brand anything. Just has to fit well.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
This is a good thread.......

1. Pugs. I. Love. My. Pugs. They are my children and so much a part of my life. If I could have a pug farm I would. Pugs are so sweet and humanish. DH and I always tell people that pugs are like people stuck in pug bodies and it''s so true. They cuddle with us at night and keep us busy chasing them around and entertaining them.

2. Makeup. I have waayyy too much and don''t even wear some of it. I just can''t help it. I love to buy new eyeshadows and eyeliners, blush and lipstick. Even if it''s used only one time then I think it''s worth it.

3. Anything chocolate. I love Godiva, Hershey, Russell Stover, all of it. I like chocolate covered fruit (strawberries, raspberries, cherries), candy bars, chocolate ice cream, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate chips....YUM! I want some chocolate now!

Those are my big 3. I''m sure that I have more but can''t think of them now.

Jess

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Jewlery--I''m all "my precious" about it!
Handbags--I''ve recently discovered a new designer, Hayden-Harnett. Their leather is so smooshy.
Jackets--for indoor wear. I''m always on the hunt for the perfect jacket to accessorize my outfits.
Scarves
Shoes--but I have difficulty finding a comfy fit
Sportscars--I bought a Honda S2000, without realizing that it is for hardcore racing types. I don''t even know how to double clutch!

I''m sure I''m forgetting some things. Just as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
diadiva, i would love to have a big westie farm with a bunch of them running all over. i'd love to be a rescue facility.

my vices...shopping mostly. in terms of what: clothes, shoes, candles, kitchen accessories, home decor, books and magazines, fine jewelry pretty much encompasses it all. i get 'into' something and then i won't rest til it's done. whether it's buying new clothes for fall, or redoing the living room downstairs, or whatever and then i do that for a month or two kind of religiously. i rarely overlap shopping experiences, like i don't go shopping for fall clothes and come home with a new vase for the house. i'm pretty methodical hehee. in terms of books, i am a fast reader and tend to hoard them...so i always have books and magazines laying around. greg is always saying 'didn't you already read this' and i say...'so? it's better the second/third/twelfth time!!' hehee. i really need to take advantage of used book stores more and get some credit there.

the other big one is food...i am a sucker for excellent food, like TG we don't think anything about dropping $$$ on a fabulous dinner. it's when it's $$$ for not so fabulous that it's not fun. and since i am getting older, watching the waistline combined with love of food is hard sometimes...there is so much fabulous food out there to be tasted!! i need one of those shirts that says 'so much food, so belly space' haha.

greg's are buying and restoring old cars and lusting after numerous musical instruments.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 8:45:16 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Prada clothes and shoes. I''m ADDICTED to the store at their factory in Italy. It''s half way between Florence and Rome. Every time I go to Italy, I come home with at least 3 new outfits and a pair of shoes. It''s all 70ish % off retail, but still a little pricey for ME and therefore a vice.
30.gif
22.gif
But I just loooove their designs. Miu Miu too.

Oh, and evening dresses. I have half a dozen cocktail dresses and 4 formal gowns. I used to go to a lot of fundraisers I guess! Back in the days before I fell in love with my poor boy.
9.gif

You will hate me IG. I used to live in Arezzo and my best friend at the time worked for Prada. She got 50% of the factory store prices and access to the employee''s only store. I used to go there a lot. I gave her the money and she bought things for me with her card. (Employees also got $2,000 a year to spend at the factory shop with the discount)

My vices are books, ebay, pet rocks and muji pens!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results