shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a "heavy" friction back?

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I'm patiently waiting for my new earrings from James Allen and checking out all the diamond studs on Show Me the Bling! I keep seeing mention of "heavy" friction backs for earrings. Is this something you must specifically ask for or is it standard with most PS vendors? Can I get heavier backs later if mine are standard size? Does anyone know if the standard issue JA earring backs are heavy enough? I did just try to call their customer support but they are closed so I'm hoping you fellow PSers will be able to help.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guessing larger backs, to prevent heavier studs from tilting forward?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
They are large backs that push on and off, unlike screw backs that you have to twist on.

As Stone Cold suggested, they are to keep larger studs from tilting forward (think weight of larger diamond).

Most vendors supply standard sized friction backs and you have to ask for the larger ones.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are three or four sizes of friction back components. There are the two major components, the friction nut and the wire post. WIres come in about 5 thicknesses and most decent sellers of good quality diamonds use nothing less than medium weight. The ear nuts come not only in various diameters, but are also made in different thicknesses. The super large ones are quite thick and very large in diameter and useful to support the earring from drooping on the ear lobe. Most quality vendors will use a medium weight, medium sized friction nut to hold common sizes of solitaire, stud, earrings. Some people will tell you they have discomfort from large diamter wires going through their ears and other people don't even notice the wire.

Providing a heavy weight post and ear nut is beneficial for security and quality. They are less likely to fall off the ear and less likely that the wire will bend or the nut loose its tightness. Its all minor stuff, but part of providing a level of quality to customers. Unless your earrings are very large and/or very heavy, the super heavy and super large diameter components would not be really useful.

lookingforsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the great information! Who knew there was so much to know about earring backs? After reading everything you've all said, I think I'll be just fine. My diamonds are each about .44 so they aren't big or heavy. I just can't wait to see them IRL!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results