Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

what is a good depth % for a radiant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doronh

Rough_Rock
When looking at radiants on the internet, it seems that most have a depth from the mid 60's to the mid 70's, rarely in the high 70s. On the search by quality form on the http://www.pricescope.com, it recommends a depth of 57 to 74 percent. This appeared to me to mean that a good radiant fell in the 60s to low 70s, or that most of the radiants out there were not that great.

Next, I went to a jeweler near me and saw a nice radiant that had a depth % of 78%. I asked the woman if that was a bit too deep (based on what i saw on this site) and her response was that it was just about the right amount. I asked her opinion of radiants with a depth in the 60s to mid 70s and she said "oh that's way too shallow, you need a depth in the high 70s to minimize light loss and have a nice fire to the stone."

So, it seems to me that either she is just feeding me bogus info, or there is a disconnect somewhere else in the info chain. I know I am buying the radiant for how it looks and not the statitics it comes with, but I want to at least be informed :)).

thanks!
d

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.