shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a good band width for a 3/4 carat princess diamond?

DiamondObsessor

Rough_Rock
I know this is a bit of a preference thing, but I am wondering if those of your out there who have had a lot more experience with jewelry could give me your opinion. I am getting a 3/4 carat princess cut diamond. Dimensions are 5.03 x 5.01 x 3.54 mm.

I am going back and forth between these two settings. Both of them are very similar. They only really differ in the width of the band. One is slightly smaller with a width of 2.1mm. http://www.bluenile.com/channel-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_9918
The other is slightly wider with a width of 2.9mm. http://www.bluenile.com/princess-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_12956

I would prefer somewhere in the middle between these two, but that is not an option. What have you found looks good with this size of a diamond - almost 2mm or almost 3mm?

Thanks for your thoughts.

DiamondObsessor

Rough_Rock
Re: What is a good band width for a 3/4 carat princess diamo

I forgot to mention. My girlfriend has a 7.25 size wedding finger.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I would look at the 'recently purchased' section on BN to get an idea of what both settings look like with different size diamonds.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

slg47|1312934302|2987546 said:
I would look at the 'recently purchased' section on BN to get an idea of what both settings look like with different size diamonds.

That's a great suggestion. There's also a "Show me" thread for stones under 1 ct and you can probably see real world shots on the hand, some specify ring size.

DiamondObsessor

Rough_Rock

Where do you find the "Show me" threads? This is on the Blue Nile website?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

the blue nile website has pictures of recently purchased rings showing you what different shapes/carat sizes look like.

on PS there is also a 'show me your under 1 carat' thread and a 'show me your princess' thread that show different members rings...these are in the show me the bling forum

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

The thinner one. Hands down! I had a .728ct princess in a plain cathedral setting. The top width was about 3mm. Totally shrank my stone. When I upgraded I got a 1ct princess and went with a thinner band with diamonds in it. My stone pops now. I realize it's a bigger stone, but not *that* much bigger.

lewood

Shiny_Rock

Beautiful, beautiful settings you have picked out! I love how classic and clean they look. If I had to choose (and trust me, I've switched out my e-ring setting several times before I tied the knot just recently), I would choose the skinnier one- it will make the diamond appear larger and pop more. The thicker setting will be almost as wide as the diamond, and therefore, make your diamond appear smaller. I have a .8 diamond and a 2.2 mm wide setting, which I paired with a 3.8 mm wide channel set band. That's an option for her. You can get her a skinnier e-ring setting so that the stone is best complimented, and then if she decides she wants a more substantial look, she can do that with a wedding band.

Here's a picture in case you were intersted:
Imported%20Photos%2000088.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

I would also choose the top setting with the thinner band I think it will make the centerstone pop more. I was also looking back at your at your previous posts, and if it were me I would choose one of these diamonds.

They are AGS Ideals so they should be gorgeous, and I believe you said your total budget was around 5,000 so they should fit the bill.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02041706

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02194124

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02020401

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I agree with going with the thinnest possible. It's a great way to highlight the stone.

DiamondObsessor

Rough_Rock

Thank you all for your sharing your thoughts and encouragement! :) I did end up going with the smaller band. I realized that the larger one might have given it a little bit more sparkle by having larger diamonds in the band. However, I think the smaller band will be more her style - delicate and elegant. Plus as you all reminded me, it will make the center stone pop more!
Thanks for the picture, Lewood. And Farmer Gal, thanks for the recommendations. I bought something a little bit more expensive (about $600) than those three, but I am quite happy with the purchase. Here's the link.
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02190578

Now I just can't want for the rings to get here and to propose!!!! :)

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

I'm sure it will be gorgeous, you will have to come back with pictures!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Can't wait to see hand shots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results