shape
carat
color
clarity

what is a fair price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

1sophia

Rough_Rock
I have a friend of a friend selling her diamond engagement ring. The diamond is already in a setting, although nice I will like to get me own setting eventually. So I would like to know a fair price on the main stone only. She has suggested a price of $27,000.

The main stone is certified by EGL USA.

Round Brilliant
10.42-10.35-6.28 mm
4.13 ct
I - VS1
Depth- 60.4
Table- 59
Crown- 14.2%
Pav- 43%
Girdle- Thin-Med
Polish- Good-Very Good
Symmetry- Very Good
Culet- None
Fluorescence- None

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The database above should help collect some quotes from sellers.

GIA graded ones come at nearly twice ! And EGL paper carries slightly less value... because the grading is assumed to be more lax.

However discounted EGL grades may be, buying an estate pieces is expected to be even better, and in this case it is. Look it up, and the price you were offered is comparable to the retail offer for J-SI1 EGL.

So.. in terms of ''replacement value'' this sounds like a hit;. Congratulations for the opportunity! Sounds great
1.gif

I am not an expert. My 2c. If needed, you can easily get the opinion of one (not terribly expensive either). If there might be any question about the current match between the diamond and report (i.e. potential damage) or you would want to see how this stone rates on the new cut grades... an appraiser can help with that. They may also get into detail about the EGL versus GIA grading etc.

Btw. about lab reports ...

A reference page HERE explains what the lab reports have to do with prices. There have been a number of similar surveys in the press etc. just not many.

1sophia

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I will get the stone and the report to a professional. The diamond is less than 2 years old so I''m not sure that it would be considered an estate piece. Mainly I just want to make sure the price is right. I have read that GIA reports pull more money than EGL. Since this is a private party I''m sure that must play a part in pricing as well. I would imagine I would pay less from a private party but I not certain.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
WOW, that''s a honker!
23.gif
YOWSA!

You''ve seen it in person, then? I would suggest that you take a little time to observe it in all lighting situations. Remember, the best *test* is your own two eyes!

Keep up posted!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/25/2005 6:34:29 PM
Author: 1sophia
Thanks for the advice. I will get the stone and the report to a professional. The diamond is less than 2 years old so I''m not sure that it would be considered an estate piece. Mainly I just want to make sure the price is right. I have read that GIA reports pull more money than EGL. Since this is a private party I''m sure that must play a part in pricing as well. I would imagine I would pay less from a private party but I not certain.
Hi Sophia:
It''s always wise to seek the opinion of an expert. After all, this is a rather large purchase. As an aside, the term "estate" refers to "previously owned" rather than a reference to the age of the item. Good luck!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

1sophia

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the advice. Also, good to know what "estate piece" means.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
holy crap! That is huge! Just curious, what is it set in now? I hope it works out for you, that sounds like an incredible stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results