shape
carat
color
clarity

What in the world is happening to prices!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decapr

Rough_Rock
The jeweler where I upgraded my set is having a sale. Even the designers are on sale 10% off. Curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know if I could have saved more by waiting and getting a sale. We bought the platinum/diamond set in early January. Well the prices have gone UP 35-40%!!! I knew they went up but in that price range it''s thousands. I do not understand how they can continue to sell at these prices. My set is scott kay and was way overpriced for what it was (fortunately or unfortunately I didn''t know this at the time but I could have saved thousands by buying the same spec ring at Costco...albeit nowhere near as pretty but specs were the same). I suppose in the longrun it''s better to have a set you love than to have saved some money. I can hand this down to my daughter and she can wear it as a rhr long after I''m gone...but back on track, how in the world can they sustain these prices? What is going to happen to platinum jewelery? It seems to be reaching the point of being unaffordable/unjustifiable. I just can''t believe how quickly and dramatically the prices have shot up. The saleslady did not expect it to come back down either.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 7:59:41 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Platinum is at record prices, gold is close to them and diamonds over 1.5ct are going up (but 1ct down are softening).

Rapaport also reports that consumer economic confidence has fallen for 2 months due to rising gasoline prices. Not a good combo for the trade.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my opinion diamonds have still a way''s to go up...., All comodities are pushing record prices, Diamonds are still way of record prices....

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Funny, I''ve been thinking about this as well. I cannot BELIEVE how much jewelry has gone up, and I am not just talking about platinum set e-rings, either! Just your "basic" little "bauble" you buy for anniversaries, etc! You know, the stuff you love when you get it and then it eventually makes its way into your jewelry box never to again see the light of day? That stuff! I am planning on upgrading my non-ideal 3.29 to something else for my 20th anniv in three years, but with the way prices are going, I should just consider myself lucky to have what I''ve got!

susi

Shiny_Rock
Headlight
35.gif
, prices have gone up, for sure....and especially on certain diamond weights such as your pretty stone. I have a 1.41ct who''s price remained the same.......but.....my HOF doubled in price in two year''s time. And, I thought coastal real estate was a good investment
2.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 9:22:28 PM
Author: susi

but.....my HOF doubled in price in two year''s time. And, I thought coastal real estate was a good investment
2.gif

Not sure if your post was meant tongue-in-cheek or not
2.gif
but actually diamonds are generally considered to be lousy "investments". It''s true that prices keep going upupup, but just *try* to get your money back out of it someday. Therein lies the problem!
1.gif
For real investments, I''d stick with the coastal real estate!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results