shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you purchased that you have found helpful/useful/comforting during shelter in place?

shiny

Rough_Rock
A lot of things that I thought were splurges when I bought them are now getting daily use - the projector and motorized projector screen, for example.

I also have a massage chair that I was using every day but now gets even more use.

Curious what everyone else bought while in lockdown.

Reactions: Chris Watson, MRBXXXFVVS1 and seaurchin

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded my student plastic clarinet to a better one made in wood shortly before lockdown, and it really helped with motivating me to learn and improve in the past few months.

Recently, I decided to get an alto saxophone, using the money intended for stand mixer that is currently on hold as I am not running any pop up kitchen events any time soon due to C19. So I thought I might as well use the money to get a saxophone instead, which is something I had planned to learn in addition to the clarinet, to double up so to speak.

The sax is great fun, and I managed to play all the notes on it within days of getting it, and am rather pleased with myself.

Learning to play these two instruments definitely helped to keep me sane and busy during lockdown when I am spending more time at home.

The pets don't like it though, as they would run away as soon as they see me picking up one of the instruments! Bless them both! :lol-2:

DK :))

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
Lots of uplifting scented candles from Cire trudon and Diptyque. CT's scent abd el kadeer transports me to the middle east. Reminds me of the sunny climate and all the wonderful food and mint juices I had the pleasure to try.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The lockdown was a huge financial headache to me
It was really hard buying groceries because we couldn't get a delivery or even a click & collect and the other half has risk factors
The best things we brought were a bag of apples, a bag of carrots and a cabbage
3 things i would never nornally buy
I despise carrots but i used them grated and cooked in things to stretch meals, the apple and cabbage i made into appleslaw, with our unlimited supply of lemons it was something fresh on the plate
Thankfully our lockdown in level 4 and 3 was only about 6 weeks (i had to buy more cabbage) but it was a long exspensive 6 weeks shopping at our smaller neighbourhod grocery shop

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought a UV Ozone machine that we use after people have been in the house, and to zap any deliveries before we open them.

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
I got a Dyson stick vac and love it. I was lazy about pulling out the central vac hose and this makes things easier since it’s seems we are hanging about in the house more often and the warm weather made the pups shed a lot.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I got a new set of kitchen knives to replace my apprx 20 y/o budget set. So wonderful to be able to prep quickly because I've been cooking so much more. Especially having an awesome nakiri knife since I chop lots of veggies!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Halo: Master Chief Collection, the full set of Halo video games on Steam. My gaming buddy and I play co-op across the country from each other. He streams the games live on twitch.tv (millennials, am I right?!) and we laugh and joke and shoot alien space monsters together over a live broadcast. It helps me get through times when I really want to get out of the house but can’t. If memory serves, the whole set was $39 but it has been worth every penny.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Nintendo Switch, Animal Crossing

Play with family and it’s something we bond over as well

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Does bling count?

It wasn't so much a purchase but I had the sense to grab a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and a few power strips before I left the office in March. That monitor alone was worth it. I would have bought one had I not had it.

We also replaced our electric fly swatting racket, that thing is priceless and my backhand is improving.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I got a new set of kitchen knives to replace my apprx 20 y/o budget set. So wonderful to be able to prep quickly because I've been cooking so much more. Especially having an awesome nakiri knife since I chop lots of veggies!

Nice! What knives did you get?
I have a nice Japanese one but I tried to use an electronic sharpener on it & it destroyed the blade :((

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Nice! What knives did you get?
I have a nice Japanese one but I tried to use an electronic sharpener on it & it destroyed the blade :((

Wusthof! So sharp, I LOVE them. I chose the Urban Farmer line because I really liked the wooden handles and they fit my hands well.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
I’m so grateful that we have a decent home gym. We finished it before shutdowns but it got so much more use after March. Ditto the Netflix subscription.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me my home gym is the best purchase since it’s for my health.

I already had an elliptical and Pilates Reformer (Balanced Body) and free weights thankfully and after the pandemic started I fortunately was able to add a weight machine to my home gym. I have all I need right now. Fingers crossed my Elliptical keeps working. I have 2 more in Brooklyn but I don’t want to think about getting them moved here.

The purchase that ties for best purchase with my home gym is one we’ve had for years. Our recumbent tandem. We enjoy many hours cycling down the shore. In fact, just yesterday afternoon, we reached 7,000 miles since starting the cycling season this past May.

9F0ED3A1-9A54-43AE-877A-F4AFAD1A7080.jpeg

52CE8986-10B4-4CCA-BCB1-84DF34A93FD0.jpeg

All the above purchases are priceless for me. Cycling by the sea is like flying and being able to enjoy this with my DH is an amazing experience. And the workout equipment critical for my well being too.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A puppy and a Nintendo Switch. Although the Switch doesn’t get played much because of the puppy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results