shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you bought that you were sure you would use/wear/eat but then never did?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has made me feel guilty, then FOMO, then guilty over the FOMO - I think that’s enough internet for tonight :lol:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has made me feel guilty, then FOMO, then guilty over the FOMO - I think that’s enough internet for tonight :lol:

Now you've got me curious about the FOMO!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now you've got me curious about the FOMO!

The celery.
FOMO over the celery.
Why is it always celery?
I have more recipes that supposedly require celery and avocado than probably any other ingredient
And yet…

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
One pair of medium heel shoes and one pair of medium heel sandals (both with heels at 8 cm).
I used to live in high heels (12 cm) before pregnancy; when I got pregnant, I got heavier and my feet got bigger so I started wearing low heel shoes, promising myself to go back to high heels after deliver...it happened only a couple of times in several years, so I got rid of high heel shoes.
Three or four years ago, in a heel nostalgic stupid day I bought a pair of medium heel shoes and a pair of medium heel sandals: I was sure I would have worn them to death...shoes are still immaculate, sandals were worn only a couple of times!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
The celery.
FOMO over the celery.
Why is it always celery?
I have more recipes that supposedly require celery and avocado than probably any other ingredient
And yet…
I bought another bunch just yesterday. We shall see…

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree about the mandoline. Tried it once and thought, Nope, bad idea for a klutz like me. :lol:

Oh man I sliced myself on my mandoline and gave it away! I’m pretty good with my chefs knife so I use that!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a bunch of wilted/old celery,
you can make creamy celery soup. You will need a few potatoes, some onion, and chicken/veg broth. Then you smooth it out with an immersion blender or regular blender.
Recipes are all over the Internet.
My DH was skeptical, but he was pleasantly surprised that it was really good, especially on a cold day.

I refuse to throw out food, so I find creative ways to use it up!

Last edited:

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
If you have a bunch of wilted/old celery,
you can make creamy celery soup. You will need a few potatoes, some onion, and chicken/veg broth. Then you smooth it out with an immersion blender or regular blender.
Recipes are all over the Internet.
My DH was skeptical, but he was pleasantly surprised that it was really good, especially on a cold day.

I refuse to throw out food, so I find creative ways to use it up!

Ooh, this sounds delicious! And it's the perfect time of year for it here. Do you have a specific recipe that you like?

I bought another bunch just yesterday. We shall see…

I am exactly the same way with celery! :lol: I'm almost as bad with spinach, carrots, bananas, and sometimes mushrooms. I want them to be constantly available but mostly throw them away when they inevitably go bad. :oops2:

To be fair, there was a point when I was far more productive when I chopped the celery to freeze so I always had it available for cooking and I always think this will be the time when I do that again. :roll:

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I also bought a package of tempeh on at least 3 occasions, but ended up throwing them all out before ever tasting them due to their sitting in my fridge well past their use-by date. I'm normally very adventurous with food-- I will try anything, and I like almost everything-- but somehow the appearance of the tempeh put me off. So I procrastinated tasting it until it had to be thrown out. :lol:

If anyone has a suggestion of how to prepare tempeh that might be appetizing, I'm willing to try again!

I like it sliced thin and stir-fried with vegetables. It can also go in the freezer until you're ready to use it. :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, this sounds delicious! And it's the perfect time of year for it here. Do you have a specific recipe that you like?

I am exactly the same way with celery! :lol: I'm almost as bad with spinach, carrots, bananas, and sometimes mushrooms. I want them to be constantly available but mostly throw them away when they inevitably go bad. :oops2:

To be fair, there was a point when I was far more productive when I chopped the celery to freeze so I always had it available for cooking and I always think this will be the time when I do that again. :roll:

I don't have an exact recipe. I just found one online that looked good, but they are all basically the same process.
You can make this type of creamy soup with any hard vegetable, like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, etc.
It's really easy.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, too much to list in one sitting!

A peloton at the start of Covid. I had grand ideas of getting into amazing shape but I’ve yet to sit on it.

$1,500 winter coat to wear during freezing outdoor football games. My son stopped playing and I haven’t worn it since because it’s way too hot unless outside in freezing temps for long periods of time, which I do not enjoy doing.

Gold paperclip necklace. The super popular look is not for me I found out after that non-refundable purchase.

Celery. I buy a bunch of celery every other week at the grocery and throw it away 9 times out of ten.

Nice work suits. I never actually needed to dress up and now they don’t fit.

So many sunglasses. I like the idea of sunglasses but not how they feel on my face.

Skincare. My closet looks like a Sephora.

I’m trying to get better at buying unnecessary things. A friend asked me if I’m buying my joy and it really hit a nerve. I realized that a large % of my spending happens when I’m feeling stressed or unhappy. So now when I get the urge to buy (unnecessary items), I take a mental health assessment first to determine if I need to make changes in my life or actually want the item. I’ve also started evaluating the cost to joy ratio to see if an item is worth purchasing. Is this diamond going to bring me $20,000 worth of joy? Or are these slippers going to bring me $55 worth of joy? Both of these actions have really helped curb my desire to purchase things I end up not caring about/liking/using. Except for the celery.

I can relate. I think I buy jewelry to feel pretty sometimes, I should just spend that money on a gym trainer! Of course I have not lol. New jewelry definitely makes me feel posh and lux though.

Speaking of winter coats, I have a trip to Norway in winter next year. I wish there were a coat rental service since I likely won’t need a heavy winter coat again but I know I’ll be cranky if I’m cold while there. Ugh. Do you recommend the one you have? Sounds warm!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can relate. I think I buy jewelry to feel pretty sometimes, I should just spend that money on a gym trainer! Of course I have not lol. New jewelry definitely makes me feel posh and lux though.

Speaking of winter coats, I have a trip to Norway in winter next year. I wish there were a coat rental service since I likely won’t need a heavy winter coat again but I know I’ll be cranky if I’m cold while there. Ugh. Do you recommend the one you have? Sounds warm!

You can buy new, then consign after your trip. Or buy gently used then reconsign. Travelling with bulky coats is tough. You might consider layers (easy pack/foldable). I am not LA Love but live in a climate that requires 10 coats/types per season. LOL.

I have Canada Goose, Patagonia and North Face products (puffer and a 3 in one). Arc'teryx in the line up. I don't mean to derail this thread but I'll tag @missy cuz we use similar products. And at this time of year--spring stuff is out...so winter products are on sale.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can buy new, then consign after your trip. Or buy gently used then reconsign. Travelling with bulky coats is tough. You might consider layers (easy pack/foldable). I am not LA Love but live in a climate that requires 10 coats/types per season. LOL.

I have Canada Goose, Patagonia and North Face products (puffer and a 3 in one). Arc'teryx in the line up. I don't mean to derail this thread but I'll tag @missy cuz we use similar products. And at this time of year--spring stuff is out...so winter products are on sale.
Thanks! I recently thrifted a Stio down parka which I love and that packs easy but I don’t think it’s long enough..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade i agree with all of canuk gal’s recommendations. But if you’re like me in cold weather I just need a long coat and they’re going to be heavy ish. I find mystique parka Canada goose is the warmest coat I own Hands down. I do love Patagonia too but not sure they make a long coat. And North Face is lightweight and warmish. I have arcteryx for cycling in the winter. Also warm but not long. Very warm though. The warmest and longest coat I own is Canada goose mystique. Two way Zipper at bottom so you can walk easily. Enjoy Norway!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

Mine is a Canada Goose to my ankles. Very warm but not very practical where I live.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade i agree with all of canuk gal’s recommendations. But if you’re like me in cold weather I just need a long coat and they’re going to be heavy ish. I find mystique parka Canada goose is the warmest coat I own Hands down. I do love Patagonia too but not sure they make a long coat. And North Face is lightweight and warmish. I have arcteryx for cycling in the winter. Also warm but not long. Very warm though. The warmest and longest coat I own is Canada goose mystique. Two way Zipper at bottom so you can walk easily. Enjoy Norway!

Patagucci’s (as I lovingly refer to it) longest coat extends below the knee, I believe

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
My husband is from Austria and we went on vacation there late last year. I have this thing about purchasing something from the region as a keepsake memory. I have been obsessed with antique bohemian garnet jewelry ever since. I broke down and bid on an authenticated antique garnet bangle at an auction. I won it and now it sits pretty in my jewelry box. I have taken it out to admire it then put it back. One of these days I will put it on before I go to the grocery store.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

Hmmm... Norway in winter during the solar maximum... am I right in guessing the ultimate goal of your trip? :D

I'm going to go wildly off topic now, so putting everything neatly behind a spoiler tag for everyone who isn't keen on boring chatter about layers and fleece.

There's good chance there is, in fact, a coat rental service. Often it's even complimentary. Providers in the service industry in these regions know full well they'll often be visited by people who aren't accustomed to cold climates and don't have proper clothing. So they'll usually have a decent stock of coats and boots for their guests to borrow.

If you want to buy your own, chances are you won't need to end up with something big and heavy. I was in Sweden last winter, so I spent a lot of time researching proper warm clothing.

First of all, Norway, depending on where you spend your time, is probably not going to be that severely cold. Its proximity to the sea means the climate is milder than you might expect. We crossed the border on one of our days, spent it driving and walking the fjords, and it was the warmest place of our entire trip. Northern Norway, arctic circle in the middle of the arctic winter - 6-7 C, not kidding.

Second, for when you need warmth (the nights do get cold), what will keep you warm isn't the huge heavy coat, it's the layers. Go with:
- merino wool base layer (you can get a blend 50/50 merino and polyester as a budget option, it's what we did);
- pants lined with fleece;
- fleece jumper (all the fleece, really);
- warm jacket.
The rule of thumb is to have three layers (base, middle and shell), but fleece lined ski pants do the trick of combining mid with shell just fine.

Keep in mind "warm jacket" doesn't need to mean big, heavy and puffy. You don't necessarily have to look like a fluffy barrel. Modern, quality ones are actually quite slim, stretchy and comfortable. Look for something which is water and wind resistant while still letting body moisture escape. I bought a ski jacket for my trip and then proceeded to wear the hell out of it this winter as well, and hope to wear it many more winters as well.

Other things you want to pay special attention to:
- warm winter boots with thick soles;
- wool socks;
- gloves;
- warm hat and scarf;
- I cannot stress this enough - balaclava. I knitted ours. Life savior during the night to have something covering and protecting your face;
- spikes for your shoes (they look like this: https://sugarandcotton.com/products/gripsoul-anti-skid-studded-overshoe-cleats). We saw these sold everywhere and they were surprisingly useful for traversing compacted snow and ice.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started buying a handbag here and there to celebrate milestones and accomplishments. When I go into my closet I like to admire them, but I can’t bring myself to wear them out, in the fear that I’ll somehow lose or wreck them.

Exercise bike, I honestly just hated it and would rather go for a walk.

I bought a ton of rose gold tone silverware and never ever use it because I figured out I prefer yellow.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this one time years ago we made vege BBQ
zuchinni, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, red pepers on
a skewer ....tufo
yuck, thank goodness i had some steak as back up to wack on those skewers

twice since i have brought tufo and twice ive thrown it out unopened

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Pretty underwear, you know I had the best of intentions when I bought them but then I just end up wearing the old faithfuls. You know the kind, broken in, a little stretched out, full coverage so you don’t have to worry about a cheek slipping out :lol-2:

Also it’s underwear, not panties, that word is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

YES, it's underwear or underpants. Panties - you sound like a pedophile.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
many years ago before the smoothy craze we brought a juicer, it wasnt cheap
there are a lot of parts and its a pain to clean
we made juices but the pulp was a complete waste of dietry fiber
we had imanged using the pulp to add flavoursom thickening to stews and soups and curries but it was completly flavouless
we used to make variatiens on carrot, apple and celery adding things like mint, ginger and sweet capsicum, i really wish the juice places used bell peppers, they really lift a juice
anyway we still have all the pieces and the booklet in a cupbaord in the laundry,
unless you own an actual orchard it is very expensive and wasteful and of course full of sugar without the fiber
i think the juicer has had its day, surpassed by things like the magic bullet which is an awful lot eaiser to clean

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
many years ago before the smoothy craze we brought a juicer, it wasnt cheap
there are a lot of parts and its a pain to clean
we made juices but the pulp was a complete waste of dietry fiber
we had imanged using the pulp to add flavoursom thickening to stews and soups and curries but it was completly flavouless
we used to make variatiens on carrot, apple and celery adding things like mint, ginger and sweet capsicum, i really wish the juice places used bell peppers, they really lift a juice
anyway we still have all the pieces and the booklet in a cupbaord in the laundry,
unless you own an actual orchard it is very expensive and wasteful and of course full of sugar without the fiber
i think the juicer has had its day, surpassed by things like the magic bullet which is an awful lot eaiser to clean

truth.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never had a juicer but have been using my Vitamix 3600 Plus since I bought it 32 years ago. Today I added frozen raspberries to plain keffir to make a delicious smoothie. Raspberries have 9 grams of fiber per cup of berries.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results