shape
carat
color
clarity

What grade is this Mikimoto necklace?

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
I purchased this preowned Mikimoto necklace and do not know the grade (A, A+, etc.). Can anyone determine the grade from these pictures? The last picture is next to one pearl earring from Andrew Moline for comparison.
421A6B11-40C5-4F24-A067-793EE221AB4D.jpeg D68AAB50-7C92-4949-B3CF-C3B27C16F55F.jpeg 6A31F695-6E00-4415-87A5-C8CEF0B0C492.jpeg

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mikimoto grade differences will be hard to determine by photos. Take comfort in knowing that the Mikimoto brand features top quality in all ranges (A - AAA). It would be worth it to have a full insurance appraisal done by a qualified appraiser or authorized Mikimoto retailer in your area. Hope this is helpful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there's text associated with this post - for some reason I'm not seeing it; I see only three photos. This could be me and my connection - in fact it is probably me and my connection. But since I have no other info, I'll say only a couple of things:

1. It's not unheard-of for unscrupulous vendors to restring random pearls with authentic Mikimoto hardware. These necklace pearls look quite nice, so I'm more inclined to believe that they're authentic, but determining precise grade from three photos without some sort of control is a doomed venture. Your best bet is to trek to a Mikimoto boutique yourself. Miki won't use their diamond clasps on lower-quality pearls but they will, on a case by case basis, allow their plain-metal clasps to be used on higher-quality commissions if specifically requested.

2. The studs aren't Miki - or, at least, the findings aren't Miki.

3. This stud is rather poorly set. You should not be able to see beneath the cup. If this was purchased as preloved Miki - I'm 100% confident it's not. If it was purchased from another vendor - that vendor should fix it for you free of charge (QC issue that it shouldn't have gone out with).

1628311374933.png

Again, apologies if any of my commentary has already been covered in text.

Last edited:

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
2. The studs aren't Miki - or, at least, the findings aren't Miki.

3. This stud is rather poorly set. You should not be able to see beneath the cup. If this was purchased as preloved Miki - I'm 100% confident it's not. If it was purchased from another vendor - that vendor should fix it for you free of charge (QC issue that it shouldn't have gone out with).

Again, apologies if any of my commentary has already been covered in text.

@SGV_Gal mentions in the OP text that the studs are from me, posted as comparison, so indeed the findings are not from Mikimoto, nor were they purchased or sold as preloved Mikimoto studs in any way. So it is correct that we can say with 100% confidence they are, indeed, not Mikimoto studs

There are lots of things that could occur in the meantime if a setting has been in place for some time, but if anyone feels any pieces from me aren't completed to a particular standard, it goes without saying that since I am a PS-posting vendor, whatever would be done to make sure anybody who has anything from me feels right about the situation. I'm easy to get in touch with.

Anyway. I digress. The thread was not about that to begin with -- the necklace is probably legitimate mikimoto because they add an extra metal ring in between the clasp and the French wire when they string. It's not worth most counterfeiters' time to bother reworking a clasp to be that legitimate. And they look like nice pearls

But as for specific letter grading according to their scale, only Miki could do or verify that.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see text like usual here now.

Sl sorry @SGV_Gal!! @Pattye is totally correct. My eyes were playing tricks on me, that stud is just fine! What I thought was the pin is just a reflection off the surface of the side of the cup lip. So many apologies for scaring you!!

I didn’t realize the studs weren’t part of the newest acquisition, but FWIW - if the findings do come loose one day - it’s an easy fix. I’ve had to fix a couple of pearl studs for exactly the reason @molinePDG’s brought up - summer heat and east coast humidity in just the right amounts does a number on some types of glue!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pearlescence I’ve got four pairs of studs glued with Vigor and three pairs glued with gel cyanoacrylate - an experiment of sorts :lol: I wear all quite regularly, through various types of weather - I’ll see how they held up next year!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have anything helpful to say except those pearls are DELICIOUS! Drool!

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
Mikimoto grade differences will be hard to determine by photos. Take comfort in knowing that the Mikimoto brand features top quality in all ranges (A - AAA). It would be worth it to have a full insurance appraisal done by a qualified appraiser or authorized Mikimoto retailer in your area. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think there is a Mikimoto store somewhat nearby. I’ll call and ask.

SGV_Gal

Rough_Rock
I can see text like usual here now.

Sl sorry @SGV_Gal!! @Pattye is totally correct. My eyes were playing tricks on me, that stud is just fine! What I thought was the pin is just a reflection off the surface of the side of the cup lip. So many apologies for scaring you!!

I didn’t realize the studs weren’t part of the newest acquisition, but FWIW - if the findings do come loose one day - it’s an easy fix. I’ve had to fix a couple of pearl studs for exactly the reason @molinePDG’s brought up - summer heat and east coast humidity in just the right amounts does a number on some types of glue!

I looked at my studs today and they look fine…so that’s a relief! I guess I’ll have to go to the Mikimoto store to compare as you suggested as the only way to know for sure.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please let us know how your visit goes!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results