shape
carat
color
clarity

What gem's give off an "Electric" appearance?

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I know that the paraiba tourmaline gives off this look.
I think that the amount of copper add's this look.

But am wondering if any others do this?

Appreciate the insight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any gem that is extremely saturated (not too dark, no gray and no brown) will look plugged in.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Really good emeralds look "electric" to me.

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
Mahenge spinel seems that way too.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1445618685|3941364 said:
Any gem that is extremely saturated (not too dark, no gray and no brown) will look plugged in.

So any well saturated color that isn't too dark will look "Plugged in"?

More or less, i'm wondering if there are any specific area's that produce the "plugged in" version of a stone. For example, the paraiba tourmaline is known for the "plugged in" look. Is there another area that produce a spinel, sapphire, diamond, chrysoberyl ect.... that has this "Plugged in" look. I'm just curious because you can't really search google or this forum for that specific quality. Is it really saturation that causes that look, or a specific area to add a mineral in the formation to give it that look? I'm pretty sure paraiba needs x amount of copper in it. I'm a newb, so correct me if i'm wrong.

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
freezing_in_MO|1445633721|3941442 said:
Mahenge spinel seems that way too.

This is what i'm looking for!!! Specific types of gems from a region that have the quality of being "Plugged in" or very vibrant.

So right now my list is : Mahenge Spinel , Paraiba Tourmaline.

Hoping i can make a huge list if there are more that give off this quality.

Appreciate the help and knowledge.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy the stone, not the name or origin. There are plugged in paraibas and there are some that barely glow. There are amazing Mahenge spinels and there are some Vietnamese spinels that can rival those. Kashmir sapphires are well known for their colour intensity but what's left today hardly deserves the same reputation. It is best to decide what you want/like, then go for the best possible within your budget to get that glow. A well saturated stone will not be inexpensive and will take weeks to months to find.

Very few Mahenge spinels today are as glowly as the earlier finds. Too many look ordinary, yet are expensive, due to the Mahenge reputation.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any tourmaline from Paraiba and any spinel from Mahenge will list the origin as such. It is up to the buyer to determine whether an individual stone has the saturation and other extenuating criteria (e.g. copper and manganese, fine microscopic silk, etc.) to cause it to have the neon quality or glow so many of us are after.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very fine silk is also a great way to get a glow. It downplays the sparkle a little and diffuses the light throughout the stone, making it all light up.

I would add ruby to the top of the glow list (and the price as well, unfortunately). Spess can also look like a little fireball.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
... A well saturated stone will not be inexpensive and will take weeks to months to find.
Or possibly years. ;-)

I also wanted to add hauyne (from the Germany Eifel region) to the list. I find them quite glowy, but it's important to note they're soft, typically included and small. But their color... :love: Sometimes one can find a <1ct cobalt blue spinel (from Vietnam) with similar coloring/saturation, but that's definitely a pricey and long venture.

hauyne.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmm electric (to me) means a vibrant colour but it's different from "neon" which is what Paraiba is famous for.

Electrics I've seen include Hauyne (as shown above), top grade Spinels, top grade Sapphires, some really high end Apatite. Sphene's (good ones) have sparks of colour that literally light up the gemstones - only good ones really look like Christmas trees though! So basically you typically find "electric" looking stones in top grade pieces.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, I was going to list sphene and stones like sphalerite, but refrained due to the soft nature of the stone. OP: it might help to have a bit more guidance from you regarding what the stone might be used for. :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results