shape
carat
color
clarity

What Food MAKES It Christmas For You?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Tree and Poinsettia shaped Spritz cookies!!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my aunts makes the best Christmas cookies -- butter cookies shaped like reindeer, bells, etc., with sprinkles on top. They're so thin and delicate, and they're delicious.

Another aunt makes something called tea times. I just looked online for a recipe but can't find one anywhere. They're made in mini muffin tins, and they have a sort of a shortbread shell and a nut and molasses (maybe?) filling. If I find the recipe I'll post it. Other than my family, I don't know anyone whose heard of them.

Every year for Christmas breakfast, my mom makes these giant inverted popovers. They're really light and fluffy and so yummy. We have them with confectioners sugar, fruit salad, and maple syrup.

For Christmas dinner, we usually have prime rib or swordfish, baked or mashed potatoes, and a vegetable.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Our Christmas Eve Italian Meal
Sugar Cookies
OreoCookie Cheesecake
Mint Brownies
Spiral Ham
Sugar Cookies
Sugar Cookies
Roast Beef with roasted potatoes
Sugar Cookies
Champagne
Sugar Cookies

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1291678479|2789238 said:
Another aunt makes something called tea times. I just looked online for a recipe but can't find one anywhere. They're made in mini muffin tins, and they have a sort of a shortbread shell and a nut and molasses (maybe?) filling. If I find the recipe I'll post it. Other than my family, I don't know anyone whose heard of them.

Sounds like a pecan tassie. Try googling that and see if that isn't your cookie. My mom has made them for years. Yum!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1291697952|2789616 said:
Zoe|1291678479|2789238 said:

Sounds like a pecan tassie. Try googling that and see if that isn't your cookie. My mom has made them for years. Yum!

Huh -- they definitely look like what my aunt makes. I'll have to get the recipe and try them soon. Thanks so much Fly Girl!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prana|1291158901|2783402 said:
bebe|1291155772|2783313 said:
gemgirl|1291103345|2782525 said:
bebe|1291088297|2782379 said:
When I was little (oh so long ago) it was a major treat in our home to have the little powdered sugar cookies, kinda
like a sand tart. You can buy them at the grocery store now, mass produced, I think they are called Swedish Christmas
Cookies. I could eat an entire bag !!

Every Christmas Eve, we have tamales. My father in law was returning from WWII, by train from California to Texas, on
Christmas Eve. Many soldiers too were on board, from all over the country. Anyway, when the train reached San Antonio, Texas
it was midnight and the soldiers were hungry. They got off the train and my father in law bought them tamales from a vendor
at the station. Many of the men didn't know what a tamale was, but they loved them ! So the tradition of having tamales Christmas
Eve was born.

Pfeffernüsse?? Yeah, those ARE Christmas!

gemgirl, I don't think that is the same cookie - but not sure. Aren't the Pffeffernusse (sp) a European tradition and do they have Anise in them ?
YES!!! These too! Don't some of them have a lemony taste well?

I just found out when I Googled Pffeffernusse that there are a variety of different recipes used to bake them, depending on if you'd like a sweet cookie or a spicey cookie. The spicey ones have anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon. The sweet version has brown sugar, cinnamon, and ground almonds. bebe is right, they are a European tradition. The original recipe is a offshoot of gingerbread and gingerbread cookies.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh great thread!

My family sort of have 2 xmas each year so there are LOTS of foods that make it xmas for me.

First is the traditional "English" xmas dinner - giblet soup, huge turkey, ham, baked veggies etc followed by flaming fruit pudding then sugared almonds and coffee. This happens on xmas eve when it's cooler and we can enjoy the xmas lights on the tree. Often we eat this meal outside on the terrace while the cicardas go mad. :lickout:

Second meal is the "Australian" xmas lunch on xmas day - all fresh seafood and salads followed by pavlova (or sometimes trifle). This will also be eaten outside as a relaxed BBQ style meal. :lickout:

It's too hard to imagine xmas without all these things as food is truly the spirit of our family xmas celebrations - in fact once we've finished one meal we're usually planning the next! :lol:

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I'm also going to add the peppermint hot chocolate and vanilla marshmallows from Williams-Sonoma - it's the best hot cocoa I've ever had- it's made with chocolate shavings instead of powder and always puts me in the holiday spirit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results