shape
carat
color
clarity

what exactly does clouds not shown mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi,
I always wondered what does clouds not shown or pinpoints not shown in a gia report mean.
Also, on another subject, if I have a princess cut stone removed from one setting and placed in another setting, what is the likelihood that it will chip. The reason I am asking is because I found a setting I liked at a store and the owner said he would sell me the setting, but would not set the diamond for me, especially not a princess cut stone.
Can anyone recommend a diamond setter in NYC?
Thank you in advance.
twirl.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I always wondered what does clouds not shown or pinpoints not shown in a gia report mean.
-----------

Often, major grade setting characteristics are plotted and minor characteristics are noted in comments, but not plotted. That means they were not instrumental in assigning the grade, and noted instead of plotted in the interest of expediency.

-----------
Also, on another subject, if I have a princess cut stone removed from one setting and placed in another setting, what is the likelihood that it will chip. The reason I am asking is because I found a setting I liked at a store and the owner said he would sell me the setting, but would not set the diamond for me, especially not a princess cut stone.
-----------

It depends on two things: The skill of the setter and the integrity of the princess cut's girdle. Both of these should be taken into consideration. Heavy handed setters and extremely thin girdles are to be avoided.

All in all though, I would think the chances of chipping are slim.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks, richard
loopy.gif

The diamond's girdle IS extremely thin to thick. Know a good diamond setter from NYC?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
No, but there's a NYC Master Gemologist Appraiser listed on the list of appraisers which you can access on the top of your screen. His name is David Wolf, and I bet he would know someone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results