shape
carat
color
clarity

What else can go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Sorry in advance for the length of this but I really need to vent. My e-ring expirience has been one thing after another. As some of you may remember, I was all set to have a setting created for me by a jeweler that I learned about through Bailey Banks and Biddle. I was originally going to have BBB send my diamond out to this jeweler to create a setting I had seen in their store. To make a long story short, I found out that BBB was charging me $8000 for a setting that the manufacturer could create for $3000. So I then decided to go directly through the manufacturer, until they found out that I had heard about them through BBB and had decided to cut out the middle man. They told me they could not make the setting because it was not ethical for them to go behind BBB's back. So the sent the diamond back to me.
I then found a local jeweler who I really liked. Everyone in the store was super nice and I had a chance to see a completed ring the jeweler had just finished. It was gorgous and I had a good feeling abou the place so I decided they were the ones to create my setting. I had called the jeweler a few days after we had agreed to do this project together to make sure that they would be using the platinum alloy that I wanted for the ring. When I spoke with the owner on the phone, he acted kind of confused (perhaps many people do not ask about such things). He told me that the alloy that I wanted was what their caster used but for some reason I felt like he really didn't know and was just saying that to pacify me. To make another long story real short, yesterday, after so much anticipation, my fiance went in to get the finished ring. Well, he took one look at it and a piece of pave was missing. Who doesn't check that before the buyer comes in. He pointed it out and the jeweler said "Oh I can pop that back in." Well he goes in the back and does so and when he brings it back out there are vice marks on the ring. I assume those were made when he replaced the pave. Who just snaps a pave stone in and hands someone their ring with vice grips? Then my fiance checked the for the platinum stamp and there was none. The jeweler looked up the alloy used in the paperwork and what do you know, it was not what we wanted. The jeweler called my fiance a little while after he left the store to tell him the alloy was actually something different, he had been looking at someone else's paperwork. It was not what I wanted still though but he tried to talk him into it. I am 100% positive that he is lying about this, because I am sure that the number of people who request special alloys are extremely rare. I know he doesn't have all kinds of different paperwork with different alloy written on them. When he called us back to tell us he was mistaken about the alloy, he told my fiance that the alloy was what he thought I wanted. lI am sooo mad
29.gif
29.gif
and frustrated that I could just scream. There is more to this story but I am trying to condense it a little. I am not giving this jeweler a second chance. We are going in there in a few hours to pick up our diamond. And sorry, but I refuse to pay for anything. I was outright lied to about the alloy mix. I am really stressing out about the diamond because it is a marquise and they set it and now are popping it out. What if they chipped a point? I am going to do my best to examine my diamond before I leave, I hope to god there is nothing wrong with it. I am sending the diamond to WF tomorrow (like I should have done in the first place) and the setting should be done in 3 weeks. By the way, we were needing this setting to be completed by this Friday because we are flying some people in for a surprise engagement party. Now I will not even have my ring for the party. I feel like it will take an act of god (or at least WF) for this setting to be completed.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to hear of all your problems :{

I was lucky enough to find the person who does most of the custom work for a lot of local jewelers so can have him do my work without the huge markups.
The fact that he does awesome work is an added bonus.

I can see the guys point that he cant cut bbb out :{
The other one there is no excuse for it if they cant deliver what was promised then you dont owe them a cent.

Which alloy were they suposed to be using? which did they use?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I wanted 900 plat, 100 iridium. WF will use 950 plat, 50 ruthenium (which, from what I've read is probably better)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2005 9:32:48 AM
Author: jazmine
I wanted 900 plat 100 iridium. WF will use 950 plat 50 ruthenium (which, from what I''ve read is probably better)

They are likely the best of the most common alloys for cast settings.

Which one did the jeweler use instead of 900 plat 100 iridium?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
First he said 950 plat, 50 iridium (crap). He later claimed it was 900 plat, 100 cobalt (still crap).

researcher

Ideal_Rock
What a trial! My heart goes out to you. I think you're making the right decision by taking your stone and getting a setting from WF. They will do an amazing job for you, and have it to you in no time flat! Just make sure to check your diamond CAREFULLY for any chips/scratches before you leave the B&M shop!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2005 9:36:34 AM
First he said 950 plat, 50 iridium (crap). He later claimed it was 900 plat, 100 cobalt (still crap).

yuck.
yep dont owe him a dime.

stubee77

Rough_Rock
Hey Jazmine,

Wow - what an experience....

You''ll have to forgive me, as I''m a relatively newbie to e-rings and PS, but I just thought i would let you know that after reading your story I really feel for you and your partner. The whole thing sucks big time
7.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
7.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/sad.gif" width="15 border=0"> . I''m sending you (and the setter!) some good vibes for the safe return of your diamond.

I hope it all works out with your new setting from WF (which i''m sure will be stunning!). Let us know how it all works out.

Stu.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Jazmine - that's terrible
29.gif
and I feel your pain. This should not have happened and stick to your guns with not paying anything to the jeweller. I am also so sorry you won't have the ring for your engagement party, I know you have been waiting a long time. I know it doesn't help much, but in sending it to WF you are doing the right thing and they will do an amazing job for you - the ring will be awesome when it is done. Check the diamond very carefully with a loupe before you accept it back from the store. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the support. This is indeed a very trying time
15.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know and it is totally unfair, you have waited so long for this ring and been very patient, I doubt that I would handle it so well. Just hold on to the fact that it will be incredible when you get it and hopefully it won''t be long. Good luck again at the jewellers, please let us know how you get on.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, what an ordeal you have been through Jazmine. I have followed your story from the beginning. HUGS. Storm''s right you don''t owe them one red cent. Good luck and let us know how it goes today. I feel so bad for you!!!!
29.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i agree with everyone but i am confused how do you know for sure what the alloys really are? i understand that you are suspicious and do not believe him but if you like the setting couldnt you find out for sure before starting over? what difference does the allow make i am not clear on that?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Either way, if it is one of the 2 he told me it is, I do not want it. When I originally called to ask about the alloy, the conversation went like this:

Me: Do you know, or can you find out what alloy is used for the setting?

Him: Um... okaaaay, I can try to find out. What are you looking for?

Me: 900 plat, 100 iridium.

Him: Oh yeah! Thats what we use.

Me: Are you sure about that because that is the only way I will take the ring.

Him: Yes that is what the caster uses.

Me: Will there be a stamp?

Him: Yes.

There was no stamp. I also do not like how they presented the ring w/ pave missing- so unprofessional. Yestereday, when my fiance called to tell the owner we wanted to cancel the project and get our diamond and money back he said "fine" and hung up on him
38.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I picked up my diamond today and everything seems to be okay. My fiance and I both examined the stone very closely for quite a while with both a loupe and a 30x microscope. Of course, I probably would not be able to spot a tiny crack or chip, but to me it looks to be good as new. I will find out for sure when Bob at WF gets the stone early next week. He will thoroughly check it of course. And we got all of our money back w/o any hassle so at least things are going a little better
4.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s good to know, I hope your ring is everything you have hoped for, I''m sure it will be - you deserve it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
jazmine,
So glad you got your stone back and you have a new plan with WF, Good luck!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
29.gif
32.gif
Bless your heart. *hugs* I am so sorry that things have been going poorly for you. Hopefully Bob will be able to confirm your stone is fine. Very soon you will have a lovely setting and then you can wear it every day forever.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2005 11:16:20 AM
Either way, if it is one of the 2 he told me it is, I do not want it. When I originally called to ask about the alloy the conversation went like this:

Me: Do you know, or can you find out what alloy is used for the setting?

Him: Um... okaaaay, I can try to find out. What are you looking for?

Me: 900 plat, 100 iridium.

Him: Oh yeah! Thats what we use.

Me: Are you sure about that because that is the only way I will take the ring.

Him: Yes that is what the caster uses.

Me: Will there be a stamp?

Him: Yes.

There was no stamp. I also do not like how they presented the ring w/ pave missing- so unprofessional. Yestereday, when my fiance called to tell the owner we wanted to cancel the project and get our diamond and money back he said ''fine'' and hung up on him
38.gif
now that''s professional!
face3.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
29.gif
I would file something with the OTHER BBB - the better business bureau!!

Glad things will be resolved with WF though! I''m sorry abt the eparty though, perhaps you can buy a fakey for fun!
9.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry! But I''m glad you got the diamond back in one piece.

Can''t wait for the finished ring from WF! I''m sure it will be fantastic!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear this... there must have been a better way for the local jeweler to deal with you than hide behind the finger.

About platinum alloys, well, I am not si sure what means what - the page at Diamondsunlimited sounds like good old advertising to me though. The very detailed posts by Platinumsmith on this thread convinced me rather quickly to stay away from that part of the problem.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Wow I too am very sorry for your situation. I was very exited that u had a Marquise and wanted to see what you where doing with your setting. You clearly did everything correct and these guys did not perform as they should.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results