shape
carat
color
clarity

What Elastic “Thread” for Bracelet?

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Wondering what “elastic thread” is best to use for a pearl bracelet. I’ve made stretchy bracelets with beads but never with pearls.

I’m thinking of remaking a bracelet but making it stretchy instead of with a clasp. And perhaps cannibalizing strands I never wear, to turn into wrist art. :razz:

Thoughts and suggestions?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love the idea of repurposing pretties you don't wear into something more useful that will get worn

but won't the pearls rub together and damage each other if you don't string and knot them like normal ?

but maybe that's ok because then at least they will get to be worn

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine uses Stretch Magic. She even knots it between the pearls.
I don't tend to wear bracelets so have not tried this.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine uses Stretch Magic. She even knots it between the pearls.
I don't tend to wear bracelets so have not tried this.

Thank you for this, @pearlsngems. I do believe I have some of this already, which I'll go and rummage for. That's great it can be knotted between pearls, although I will use the weensy silicone disks first, to see how that looks/feels.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SparklieBug -- I do hope pretty please you will update this thread after you make your new stretchy pearl bracelet -- I'd love to hear your comments about working with Stretch Magic in general, and whether you prefer knotting or the little silicone disks between the pearls -- I prefer stretch bracelets and have been thinking I should learn how to do it myself, so this thread will be very helpful and instructive -- =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
what do i google to find these wee disks please anyone ?=)2

im ending up with grinding disks :(2:lol-2::doh:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi
Look for Bead Bumpers - that might help. Beadalon often carries them in all sorts of colours

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@SparklieBug -- I do hope pretty please you will update this thread after you make your new stretchy pearl bracelet -- I'd love to hear your comments about working with Stretch Magic in general, and whether you prefer knotting or the little silicone disks between the pearls -- I prefer stretch bracelets and have been thinking I should learn how to do it myself, so this thread will be very helpful and instructive -- =)2

Well, much to my disappointment, the little silicone disks are a great size for between the pearls, but the holes in them are only large enough for a single, thin thread to pass through. The Stretch Magic is much, much too large for the silicone disks. Guess I will try knotting the Stretch Magic between the pearls.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, much to my disappointment, the little silicone disks are a great size for between the pearls, but the holes in them are only large enough for a single, thin thread to pass through. The Stretch Magic is much, much too large for the silicone disks. Guess I will try knotting the Stretch Magic between the pearls.

good to know

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I may end up stringing the bracelet with thread and a clasp, but in the short-term, I've used Stretch Magic, and only had enough length to string them but no knots between. I like the snug fit that a stretchy "cord" allows.

These pearls have li'l flea bites, and are soooo not Yssie- or Moline-quality, so I'm not too fussed about having no knots between them, and I'm not the least bit worried about hitting them on the table, etc. That said, the colors are gorgeous, and quite varied—I don't know which ones are my faves, yet. They're like little pets to me. LOL!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may end up stringing the bracelet with thread and a clasp, but in the short-term, I've used Stretch Magic, and only had enough length to string them but no knots between. I like the snug fit that a stretchy "cord" allows.

These pearls have li'l flea bites, and are soooo not Yssie- or Moline-quality, so I'm not too fussed about having no knots between them, and I'm not the least bit worried about hitting them on the table, etc. That said, the colors are gorgeous, and quite varied—I don't know which ones are my faves, yet. They're like little pets to me. LOL!

we need a photo !

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Meh. Talk about dry skin! It's really cold here with very low humidity. Which results in scaly reptilian-looking skin. :???::roll:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m very pro pearls-that-you-actually-wear-because-you-aren’t-super-fussed-about-keeping-them-bubble-wrapped :appl::kiss2: yours have NICE varying body colours!! A true multicolour!

Wondering - is the knot small enough to fit inside one of the pearls? That would be super perfect!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourite pearl ::) I had a baby blue like that once, it was the only blue Tahitian I’ve ever seen that was actually blue, no green. I didn’t know how rare that was when I got it!

It was part of a multicolour bracelet too, I wound up selling it a few months ago - I wonder if its new mother also favours the baby blue :bigsmile:

Attachments

• 8E73B8DB-7B17-42FF-AB7C-7876206D5E1B.jpeg
    8E73B8DB-7B17-42FF-AB7C-7876206D5E1B.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 8

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I’m very pro pearls-that-you-actually-wear-because-you-aren’t-super-fussed-about-keeping-them-bubble-wrapped :appl::kiss2: yours have NICE varying body colours!! A true multicolour!

Wondering - is the knot small enough to fit inside one of the pearls? That would be super perfect!

Yes, this li'l precious really is multicolour! It actually plays very nicely with my Robert Wan strand. :kiss2: :D

The knot is definitely too large to fit into any of the pearls. CMW did a great job of drilling absolutely symmetrical holes—all of which are the right diameter to allow the Stretch Magic through. Although I was thinking of knotting the material between each pearl, realistically, it would look like little globs of glue between the pearls. So, no. :???: LOL! I'm going to research coloured Stretch Magic cord and see if there's anything other than clear.

In real life, though, I can't see the knot at all unless I turn the bracelet and really look for it—as in, pull the pearls a wee bit to find it. I did a reeeeally tight square knot, then another on top, hence it looking a bit larger in the photos. As my DH is fond of saying, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." LOL!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
My favourite pearl ::) I had a baby blue like that once, it was the only blue Tahitian I’ve ever seen that was actually blue, no green. I didn’t know how rare that was when I got it!

It was part of a multicolour bracelet too, I wound up selling it a few months ago - I wonder if its new mother also favours the baby blue :bigsmile:

I truly am undecided which is my all-time fave colour. The overtones are also lovely! In photos, the one that's pistachio coloured looks quite yellow-y. It's next to the blue baby! Which is next to the... LOL! I just love all the mixed colours! :dance:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, this li'l precious really is multicolour! It actually plays very nicely with my Robert Wan strand. :kiss2: :D

The knot is definitely too large to fit into any of the pearls. CMW did a great job of drilling absolutely symmetrical holes—all of which are the right diameter to allow the Stretch Magic through. Although I was thinking of knotting the material between each pearl, realistically, it would look like little globs of glue between the pearls. So, no. :???: LOL! I'm going to research coloured Stretch Magic cord and see if there's anything other than clear.

In real life, though, I can't see the knot at all unless I turn the bracelet and really look for it—as in, pull the pearls a wee bit to find it. I did a reeeeally tight square knot, then another on top, hence it looking a bit larger in the photos. As my DH is fond of saying, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." LOL!

i think you are very clever

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, @MakingTheGrade! Now I shall rummage through the spare pearls and beads, and see what I can some up with. Love that little bead that looks like it may be an animal? On the tiny-pearl bracelet. :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results