shape
carat
color
clarity

What e-ring would you buy for 20-25K?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kinger

Rough_Rock
Hi! I''ve been lurking on this awesome site for a few months now...really just learning as much as possible and also trying to get ideas. Every day I''m inspired and every day I see something new and breathtaking.

Here''s the situation (and I admit at the start that I''m blessed beyond belief to be IN such a situation
emsmile.gif
):

My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly 3 years and we are starting to seriously talk about engagement...it just completely feels like the right time. We''re both excited about it and we''ve been to see some rings on a few different occasions. I think the engagement will happen in the next few months and I have LOVED being in on the process enough to try things on -- it''s REALLY intoxicating (there''s no other word I can think to describe it). The PROBLEM is, I''m all over the place in terms of what I want for an engagement ring. I go back and forth and in between and back again. I actually think I have learned too much and am now overthinking -- I never knew how many different cuts there were! My boyfriend is doing well financially and I know he wants to get me something beautiful (in the above-mentioned budget) but he also wants guidelines. Ultimately I want him to select a stone and setting but I really want to narrow things down for him.

I started out wanting a beautiful, classic round -- and with that $ I know we could find a spectacular one. But then I couldn''t shake the feeling that the round is the shape you most often see -- my sister has one (and I didn''t want it be a situation where I have to say "oh, it''s just like yours," etc), most people I know have a RB. So I started looking at other shapes. We both really started to like the look of the radiant and also the asscher (a well-cut square emerald or a royal asscher), but those are overwhelming shapes to research and see -- and in the case of the asscher, you end up with a much smaller looking stone than you would in other shapes...

See how confused I am???? I love so many of the stones I see, I''m just having trouble deciding what I want THE ONE to be.

Here''s what I do know: the stones I mentioned are really the only ones I''m considering and I really love the look of a solitaire.

My question to all of you experts and diamond lovers is: what would you do? I am really in need of guidance here!

Thanks in advance for your input. FYI, my ring size is a 4.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
I''m not really sure I can help you out, but I wanted to mention...

I was at a jeweler a few weeks ago and got to try on these gorgeous gorgeous rings! The 2.5 asscher looked about the same as a 1.6 RB. Crazy no?

I thought about fancy shapes as well since they''re different and usually cheaper, but they just didn''t have the sparkle I was looking for and didn''t look right on my hand. So, that ended pretty fast. And I was so set on a cushion!

Anyway, good luck with your search! Have you checked out the eyecandy folder for inspiration?

Kinger

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is crazy about the asscher. I do have smallish fingers so if I''m really smitten with a well-cut asscher, I guess I''m willing to sacrifice on the size...but it is sad! Thanks for replying. I realized I should have posted this in Rocky Talky (it''s there now).

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
Lucky gal! Your story is great! I wish you bpth the best, and have to say that if I had a choice, I would go with a beautiful 2.5 ct F VS2 Emerlad cut for about $20K or so, and invest the rest in a beautiful classic setting like a Harry Winston look alike, with baguette sidestones... Mmmmmm....

But that''s just me. Have you considered a cushion cut? They are really amazing with total character, and history, but are now cut a lot more brilliantly. They are truly amazing in a HW setting as well....YUM!

Either way, good luck!!!

Kinger

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Holly. Your idea on the emerald cut sounds beautiful. Do you like a squarish emerald or the classic rectangular? I have looked at cushions and have sort of eliminated them (I have to eliminate some!) I do think it''s beautiful, but I do think I want to go with something more classic...like the round, or the emerald (don''t ask where the radiant comes in -- more like the tiffany lucida I guess).

I appreciate your kind words. I am just so happy to be in this phase...nothing much has even happened yet and I''m so excited I can''t sleep!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go for the biggest Ideal cut round brilliant you can find. Let''s face it, with a $20K-$25K budget, no matter what shape it''s in, people aren''t gonna consider it "just like every other ring" out there. Plus, when it''s ideal cut, the sparkle will make it outshine most other stones b/c most people don''t concentrate on cut. So, with that size and sparkle, you''ll easily impress most people.

I pick a solitaire setting b/c when it''s just one giant stone on a thin band with no other distractions, the stone looks even bigger.

HollyGo-Lightly

Rough_Rock
OOps, I already mentioned my preferences in your other post! Actually, if you have longish fingers an emerald would be so classic and lovely!!!

A squarer stone is a preference, but I would say that a radiant is lovely but I would prefer the classic cleanness of the emerald, to the sparkle of a round stone or radiant. But people do notice sparkle, so it depends what look you notice most and LIKE most...

Go to Tiffany''s or a stone with lovely pieces around you. Try on every size and style you can think of that would look good, then narrow it down further. Sometimes you just know, and other times you grow into a style. I personally got a princess and am dying for another shape (emerald, obviously), and lots of people (you will see here) have made swaps. Take your time, save up and then get it ONLY when you are sure!!!

You''ve got time, so go through wedding mags, and catalogues and just browse. I suggest making a scrapbook of looks and shapes you like most, like many women do for wedding dresses, etc. Maybe this will help you hone in on your preferences...

GOOD LUCK!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 7:55:52 PM
Author: codex57
I''d go for the biggest Ideal cut round brilliant you can find. Let''s face it, with a $20K-$25K budget, no matter what shape it''s in, people aren''t gonna consider it ''just like every other ring'' out there. Plus, when it''s ideal cut, the sparkle will make it outshine most other stones b/c most people don''t concentrate on cut. So, with that size and sparkle, you''ll easily impress most people.

I pick a solitaire setting b/c when it''s just one giant stone on a thin band with no other distractions, the stone looks even bigger.
I agree with codex. Round brilliant is a classic that will never go out of style. For 20-25 you could get a 2+ carat. Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No luck with any of the H&A fancies ?
20.gif

Anyway, I am not sure that you do have to give up size if going for other shape than a round - they might be smaller for the weight, but the price per carat is also less... enough to compensate, often enough.
2.gif

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
Wow -- what I would give!! LOL!! I would go with another true classic -- and that''s the cushion cut!! PARTICULAR the more "antiquey" looking ones. In fact I would call up Mark Turnowski (the cushion king!!) and I know he would help me find the MOST beautiful cushion cut for that price. The well cut cushions are so so so pretty and classic and timeless - and I droooooool at the site of them. I''m a huge fan of the asschers too, but wow they are SO small for the ct. weight -- so on my bf''s budget, we kinda decided to rule it out. If you DO go with the asscher, be sure to stick with the Royal Asscher. Some here would disagree with me, but it''s the one brand where the premium paid is well worth it -- I mean it''s SO hard to find a generic asscher that can compare to a true RA. And to be honest, although diamonds should never be considered an investment, this one truly will hold it''s value. Royal Asschers are pretty hard to come by -- and they are truly spectacular. Good luck and keep us informed on your decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
If I had a million dollars...and I don''t! Actually, I''m kind of glad that my budget is limited as it''s too hard to decide on just which ring I like! When I first started my search I had my heart set on a Tiffany style solitaire then I liked the Ritani Endless Love then I saw this massive micropave cushion at Neiman Marcus...needless to say I could discuss all of my dreams and go on and on.

If I did have that kind of a budget here''s one of my choices. I love the color of the center stone and the shape of the side diamonds. I saw it on amgad.com.

JR200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results