shape
carat
color
clarity

What does your SO think about you being a diamond or jewelry enthusiast on PS?

What does your SO think about you being on a diamond or jewelry enthusiast on PS?

• Don't care, don't want to be involved.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Mildly amused (will glance at pictures you show them from Pricescope).

Votes: 43 43.0%
  • Really interested, and wants to understand what YOU'RE into.

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Annoyed, and wants you to stop perusing, and being tempted.

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH calls it jewelry ****! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:
That’s what I tell my husband when he asked me what I’m looking at online! I’ll say ring ****! He laughs and I think he likes that it makes me happy. When I run out to Homegoods when he’s home..he’ll ask where I’m going...I’ll say “Golf!”..so he understands it’s my chill time..just like when he plays golf..He said it made him understand my Pricescope and Homegoods interest.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is supportive but vague about the whole thing. He will help if I rope him in (he was a champ when I made him stare at jade cabs day after day). He LOVES pink though so tends to be " BUY BUY BUY if it's pink.

He does get nervous when I look at VCA though. Haha whenever he sees me looking at VCA he'll say "Why don't you go write more Olicity fanfic and channel your poor, starving artist on Twitter side instead?"

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband puts up with it, but it annoys him. He thinks there are more productive things I could be doing with my time and money :roll2:

My husband asked why I could not find a hobby that could bring money into the house. I asked him to advise me (I am not an artistic person). He could not, so here we stay. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband asked why I could not find a hobby that could bring money into the house. I asked him to advise me (I am not an artistic person). He could not, so here we stay. :)

Fair question. Another fair question would be to ask your DH why he cannot find a job that would allow you to purchase diamonds and gems to your heart's content.

:halo:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair question. Another fair question would be to ask your DH why he cannot find a job that would allow you to purchase diamonds and gems to your heart's content.

:halo:

Missy, with our two salaries, we can.
My DH grew up in what I consider poverty. His mom worked at a butter-making factory and yet there was no butter in the area, all was sent to Moscow. So he is a self-made man. He did become more frugal after spending 3 years in Germany (there is something about Germany, lol), so when I hear something about money-saving, I know, why.

Q

Queenie60

My husband takes the stand of "what I don't know won't hurt me" - just do and not tell too much! He enjoys seeing me happy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, with our two salaries, we can.
My DH grew up in what I consider poverty. His mom worked at a butter-making factory and yet there was no butter in the area, all was sent to Moscow. So he is a self-made man. He did become more frugal after spending 3 years in Germany (there is something about Germany, lol), so when I hear something about money-saving, I know, why.

@Arkteia I was just trying to be funny lol with writing what I did in the above post. I get that and I get the being frugal mentality. Believe it or not I am frugal/conservative with money. I grew up in (mainly) a one income household (though my mom went to work after my younger sister went to college) and we were solidly middle class. Not upper middle class in the least. And we could not spend money any way we wanted and were taught to be careful with and smart about money. My parents were able to give us what we needed and often what we wanted within reason and our childhood was not lacking in any way. They also were able to pay for our college and graduate school giving us an amazing head start in life. A real gift not having to go into debt for school for which I am forever grateful. And the only way they were able to do it was by being very smart about spending and saving because my dad never made a lot of money.

So yeah it took me time to get used to spending money on myself and enjoying it. But my dh taught me how and I was a quick learner. :P2 Seriously though we are still smart and conservative (generally) about money and do not spend extravagantly or foolishly but live well within our means. And that is key. Living well within (below) one's means. If one does this one will be A OK when it comes to money. IMO.

I think self made people who learn through the school of hard knocks and life experience are often the wisest about money and how to save it and make it grow.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arkteia I was just trying to be funny lol with writing what I did in the above post. I get that and I get the being frugal mentality. Believe it or not I am frugal/conservative with money. I grew up in (mainly) a one income household (though my mom went to work after my younger sister went to college) and we were solidly middle class. Not upper middle class in the least. And we could not spend money any way we wanted and were taught to be careful with and smart about money. My parents were able to give us what we needed and often what we wanted within reason and our childhood was not lacking in any way. They also were able to pay for our college and graduate school giving us an amazing head start in life. A real gift not having to go into debt for school for which I am forever grateful. And the only way they were able to do it was by being very smart about spending and saving because my dad never made a lot of money.

So yeah it took me time to get used to spending money on myself and enjoying it. But my dh taught me how and I was a quick learner. :P2 Seriously though we are still smart and conservative (generally) about money and do not spend extravagantly or foolishly but live well within our means. And that is key. Living well within (below) one's means. If one does this one will be A OK when it comes to money. IMO.

I think self made people who learn through the school of hard knocks and life experience are often the wisest about money and how to save it and make it grow.

What a good story! I hope your parents saw their kids graduating. It is not frugality, it is selflessness.

You are right.
And, it is better not to owe money.

It is interesting, when I went to Beijing, they would not accept credit cards. And then I went to South Korea, and they laughed and said, "we are civilized, we do". But I am now thinking, maybe not using cc, not accumulating debts, is better?

(Our mortgage is paid off, for example).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a good story! I hope your parents saw their kids graduating. It is not frugality, it is selflessness.

You are right.

It is interesting, when I went to Beijing, they would not accept credit cards. And then I went to South Korea, and they laughed and said, "we are civilized, we do". But I am now thinking, maybe not using cc, not accumulating debts, is better?

Thanks Arkteia. Yes, thankfully my parents got to see us graduate and enjoy successful careers and happy marriages and they even have grandchildren who bring them great joy. And my parents are still with us thank goodness and I’m hoping they’re here for a long time. :pray:

You and I share a similar mindset re finances. I prefer having no debt if possible and we paid off our mortgage as quickly as we could. As for credit cards we never carry a balance.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I picked the annoyed option but it's sort of a mild annoyance. Every time he sees me looking at the forums, he responds with, "Are you looking at that diamond website again? Stop that!! You don't need anymore!!" But not in a mean way :lol-2:

I did show him a colored gem I was eyeing and told him about my potential plans for it if I were to pull the trigger on it. I also showed him pictures of tension settings and he thought they were really neat looking and actually showed interest in it.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
He's fine with it. It's not his thing but he's amused that our children (boys) know so much about jewelry! :lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really interested and likes to look at pictures of rocks I send him. Either that or he’s very good at feigning interest :lol:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't share PS with him as he really has no interest. As long as I don't buy anything.....

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just asked my husband this question. He says he's glad because it takes the pressure off his own spending habits and obsessions. :D

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You are right.

Lol that is because you need to pay using wechat pay or alipay. It is not that they don't accept credit cards, it is that they skipped credit cards altogether and went straight to paying for everything (including vending machines and transfering money between each other) using their social media accounts and their phones :lol:. Probably the most technologically forward nation in the world.

I remember 3-5 years ago we used to walk arround beijing with very large wads of cash (even 1000s USD in our pockets). As finding a chinese construction bank atm was a nightmare which sometimes required us to walk for kms (and there was no atm alliance we could use and they only took cash).

Today we struggle with staying in locations where they only accept wechat pay, no cash no cards. Only wechat pay (I was in shenzhen last november and we had to set up wechat pay just to eat. There litterally was no other way to buy food.). Also the dam taxis wont even pick you up when you hail them on the street because every one is using didi and tipping the driver. You litterally can be sitting in an area with 10s to 100s of green taxis and you have to pull out your phone and book with a 10 yuan tip (a miniscule amount in USD).

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My SO is all for it!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is the worst when it comes to indulging me. I could say "Hi honey, I took out a second mortgage on our house to buy this really big diamond" and he would say "You deserve it." If I said "I really want this diamond and I think you need to find a way to buy it" he would try to find a way to buy it. He is so old school in that he believes his job as a husband is to make me happy. Really sweet man and I am so lucky I have him.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol that is because you need to pay using wechat pay or alipay. It is not that they don't accept credit cards, it is that they skipped credit cards altogether and went straight to paying for everything (including vending machines and transfering money between each other) using their social media accounts and their phones :lol:. Probably the most technologically forward nation in the world.

I remember 3-5 years ago we used to walk arround beijing with very large wads of cash (even 1000s USD in our pockets). As finding a chinese construction bank atm was a nightmare which sometimes required us to walk for kms (and there was no atm alliance we could use and they only took cash).

Today we struggle with staying in locations where they only accept wechat pay, no cash no cards. Only wechat pay (I was in shenzhen last november and we had to set up wechat pay just to eat. There litterally was no other way to buy food.). Also the dam taxis wont even pick you up when you hail them on the street because every one is using didi and tipping the driver. You litterally can be sitting in an area with 10s to 100s of green taxis and you have to pull out your phone and book with a 10 yuan tip (a miniscule amount in USD).
Interesting.
In Beijing, they took yuans.

But I want to.travel to Shanghai, and to Kharbin. Looks like I need to.download some apps, at least.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting.
In Beijing, they took yuans.

But I want to.travel to Shanghai, and to Kharbin. Looks like I need to.download some apps, at least.

I find the southern cities more fast paced in developement than beijing. In particular shenzhen and dong guan seem to outstreak every where else (at least that is my impression). To be fair I think you will be fine in the center of any big chinese city. I tend to find I have problems once I am on more in the peripheral regions.

But I was in shanghai arround this time 2 years ago in the expat quarter arround pudong (in a very central place) dining at some upmarket resteraunts and I got turned away from several of them because I did not have wechat pay. I could not buy stuff from vending machines in nanjing at that stage either for the same reason. And in hefei no taxi would take me, I ended up making the hotel concierge run arround after me as I did not have didi installed. I imagine it will have changed again by the time I go back. Like I said on my last trip to china last year we caved and installed wechat pay. Today I have agreed to go to beijing next month, so we shall see. I miss wudaokou and spring in beijing, so I am looking forward to it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really interested and likes to look at pictures of rocks I send him. Either that or he’s very good at feigning interest :lol:

Haha @Elliot86 he's a keeper.
I like to get my dh involved in my bling adventures. And the kitties too. :cheeky:

hrhandhercrown.jpg

dhwearingpearls.png

fredandbutterfly.jpg

My husband is the worst when it comes to indulging me. I could say "Hi honey, I took out a second mortgage on our house to buy this really big diamond" and he would say "You deserve it." If I said "I really want this diamond and I think you need to find a way to buy it" he would try to find a way to buy it. He is so old school in that he believes his job as a husband is to make me happy. Really sweet man and I am so lucky I have him.

Yes you are!:kiss2: I hope this is where my dh would draw the line at taking a second mortgage out lol but I love that your dh would do anything to make your blingy dreams come true. Plus I think my dh knows I would never do anything financially crazy because I am way too conservative when it comes to our financial future. I am the more practical one I think in our relationship. I have a feeling @LisaRN you might be too. :halo:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so sweet.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Referring to my ex, I voted "don't care, doesn't want to be involved." Though, personally I sensed he didn't like it. He made comments in other situations that he felt that I shopped too much, though most women I knew making around what I make spend far more on themselves. I think the difference is that other women would spend on clothes, hair, nails, makeup, shoes (and that made sense to him) and I got gems and jewelry for my own enjoyment? (not like I'm a schlub, just closer to Annie Hall than Zooey Deschanel). In any case he is now with a woman who is 15 years younger who is much more stylish.
The guy I am seeing now, has told me that as a rule never buys women jewelry. The only exception was the two rings for getting married (former wife). His common-law wife that he had a child with? nothing : O But he also seems pretty hands off in that I should do what makes me happy.

I think at this point in my life, while there are certain gems I DO want to collect (I'm looking at you, large tsavorite or emerald, and nice blue sapphire), I am looking forward in the next year having a little fun with some pretty clothes and some (gasp) costume jewelry to go with it.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[Edited:] I'm sure my husband would greatly prefer that I didn't like diamonds so much but he's OK with it I suppose. He knows I work hard and that my jewels are my little treat to myself. He says, "If they bring you joy, I support you." He knows I wouldn't spend beyond our means. I'm pulled in so many different directions at home and at work and have so little personal time that having my beautiful rings to look at are my special little moments of joy that I CAN squeeze into the chaos of my life. I'm lucky that he understands this.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results