shape
carat
color
clarity

what does the term "entry level" mean to you?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1320245607|3052500 said:
mrswahs|1320240243|3052448 said:
sonnyjane|1320190116|3052070 said:
It can definitely have a negative connotation. That said, I see it in the same light as a "starter home"... it's something that is a good first purchase, but you will outgrow it and want something bigger and/or better when you can eventually afford it. In other words, it's a respectable buy for a first-timer, but you'll almost certainly want to upgrade.

See, even that comment bothers me. We just bought our first home, with every intention of it being our forever home. It's got a 3/4 acre lot, 4 BRs, 2 bath. It's smallish, but it's cute and right for us. Most of the people who saw it talked about how amazing it was and how lucky we were to have such a beautiful home as our first home. When we showed our parents the house the day we offered on it, my dad said if we weren't going to offer on it, he would. Anyway, one couple said it was a great 'starter home.' They have a starter home that they bought a few years ago, but that's not what this is. We have every intention of staying in this house as long as we continue to have work in this area.

I find that comment just as offensive as 'entry-level' being said to a $15k watch.
I definitely agree with SonnyJane and MrsWahs.

It's a rude thing to say, regardless of the intention. Some people just don't know any better, and some people wear their insecurities like a banner across the chest.

Nearly everyone we know called our home a "great starter home" when they first saw it. It's a small ranch home and we love it. Our beliefs about the space required to raise a family are different than most of the people in our circle. That's okay. Their comments about our "starter home" didn't bother me, they just made me chuckle. We both grew up in small homes and plan to raise our future kids in our small home. I'm happy with the decision we made, and I think that makes me immune to rude comments about it.

Thinly veiled insults on Internet forums are particularly interesting to me, now that I think of it. Nobody *really* knows who you are or where you come from or how you live, so it's always fascinating to see which details are important for people to share about themselves, and what's more, HOW they share them can be so telling. I've learned a lot about myself from rereading old posts on PS. It's not always easy to go back and read them, but it is always telling!

LOL! We live in a "starter home" too, Haven, smaller even than yours I think. Of course at my age, people usually accurately assume we aren't "upgrading". I just tell them (now that it's in vogue) that we were concerned about our carbon footprint, etc, etc. ;)) In reality, a small house was simply in line with my salary and my willingness and ability to maintain it - 1100 sq feet is quite enough for one person, IMO, certainly it has always been enough to keep ME busy. It's a bit cozy now that I'm married, but in 2 more years it's completely ours, so no complaints.

And yes, that whole idea that you HAVE to have a bigger place to raise kids is pretty amusing, since most of us of a certain age were raised in a house of probably 1600 sq feet or less. I can't remember a house (thinking back) that I lived in as a child, that was over about 1000 square feet....

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Guilty Pleasure|1320394317|3053725 said:
Maybe it is a starter watch. I don't have the details, so I can't know if it's a snotty comment or a truthful compliment. Here are a few cases where this 15k watch could be considered a "starter watch":

1. If it's the least expensive watch in a particular manufacturer's line ( I still wouldn't call it a starter watch to the guy's face). By comparison, I considere a 3 series BMW a starter BMW, even it is more expensive than a lot of other cars.
2. If the poster has stated that he intends to collect watches, and this is his first large purchase. (He is starting his collection, and this is a great choice for his first luxury watch.)
3. If the average consumer on this forum owns much nicer or more expensive watches, then perhaps a 15k watch is a starter watch in this community.

"Entry-level" does not have to be an insult. I have just purchased an entry-level dslr camera, and even though the price tage is HUGE to me at 5 times what my normal nice point and shoot would cost (after getting a nice lens), I don't find it offensive at all that this camera is considered entry-level in the realm of dslr. $1000+ may be a lot to pay for a camera when compared to all the options out there, but it's pretty inexpensive compared to the pros!

I only agree on 2, since the poster has stated that he intends to move onto bigger and better.

If he had saved and scrimped to buy the watch and intends to keep it for life, then 1 is hurtful, since, while the watch is basic, the owner doesn't view it as "starter", which implies that it will/should be upgraded eventually. The same logic applies to 3: even if others there have better watches, the owner doesn't and may not want to. It still feel likes a put down.

I see this as similar to someone showing a very pretty 0.6ct engagement ring on PS and being told that "nice ring while you save for an upgrade". Unless the person has stated that they want to upgrade in the future, it will hurt, even though that would be on the smaller end for designer rings (situation 1) and the average ring on PS is rather larger (situation 3).

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1320407373|3053756 said:
Guilty Pleasure|1320394317|3053725 said:
Maybe it is a starter watch. I don't have the details, so I can't know if it's a snotty comment or a truthful compliment. Here are a few cases where this 15k watch could be considered a "starter watch":

1. If it's the least expensive watch in a particular manufacturer's line ( I still wouldn't call it a starter watch to the guy's face). By comparison, I considere a 3 series BMW a starter BMW, even it is more expensive than a lot of other cars.
2. If the poster has stated that he intends to collect watches, and this is his first large purchase. (He is starting his collection, and this is a great choice for his first luxury watch.)
3. If the average consumer on this forum owns much nicer or more expensive watches, then perhaps a 15k watch is a starter watch in this community.

"Entry-level" does not have to be an insult. I have just purchased an entry-level dslr camera, and even though the price tage is HUGE to me at 5 times what my normal nice point and shoot would cost (after getting a nice lens), I don't find it offensive at all that this camera is considered entry-level in the realm of dslr. $1000+ may be a lot to pay for a camera when compared to all the options out there, but it's pretty inexpensive compared to the pros!

I only agree on 2, since the poster has stated that he intends to move onto bigger and better.

If he had saved and scrimped to buy the watch and intends to keep it for life, then 1 is hurtful, since, while the watch is basic, the owner doesn't view it as "starter", which implies that it will/should be upgraded eventually. The same logic applies to 3: even if others there have better watches, the owner doesn't and may not want to. It still feel likes a put down.

I see this as similar to someone showing a very pretty 0.6ct engagement ring on PS and being told that "nice ring while you save for an upgrade". Unless the person has stated that they want to upgrade in the future, it will hurt, even though that would be on the smaller end for designer rings (situation 1) and the average ring on PS is rather larger (situation 3).

Oh, I don't think it would be acceptable in each of these cases to use the term without being snotty - I was just saying that these were cases where a 15k watch could be considered a starter watch even though it sounds ridiculous to us to call such an expensive watch "entry-level." I agree that only the second case would be a compliment rather than a snotty comment.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry for misunderstanding you!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I personally think it's rude, and at best extremely insensitive and a socially inept remark. I think some people would say it's a matter of opinion, and that the person who made the comment just has that opinion. My response would be that if someone isn't asking for you to judge something, then don't judge it. Just MHO.

In real life or even on PS, when I see comments like that made at me or at others, I just think the person making the comment is socially inept and move on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results