shape
carat
color
clarity

What does red fluorescence in blue sapphire mean?

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks for all the responses.
So sounds like color-shift spinels and sapphires may contain chromium and have some red fluorescence? Is it chromium that gives the slightly purplish hue to the blue sapphire and causes the color shift to violet?
I think I'm way over my head here, I should just enjoy the pretty sapphire :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1330728462|3139514 said:
I second that! Pandora, does that mean that my blue sapphire with a violet modifier has layers of pink in it not visible to the naked eye as well? I can't see any with my loupe, but I would LOVE that! How cool would that be?!

I honestly don't know...

I know with mine I was able to see the zones... I had quite a panic I can tell you. It didn't look like synthetic spinel in terms of the glow - much weaker and from areas rather than the whole stone, but I wasn't expecting it at all.

As3fthjkl

Rough_Rock
Trade
hello, i know this is now almost 10 years old but i came across this thread while doing my own searching for why my sapphire turns red under UV light and i felt i had some relevant knowledge.

I recently acquired a colour changing sapphire, that is lab grown but has some interesting inclusions that had my gemologist not 100% certain so im looking around for another one but it turns a BEAUTIFUL hot pink under UV light, purple in fluorescent light, and a lovely deep blue in natural light.

do you know if your gem stone is colour changing? i know you made mention of some purple hues in the stone.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
hello, i know this is now almost 10 years old but i came across this thread while doing my own searching for why my sapphire turns red under UV light and i felt i had some relevant knowledge.

I recently acquired a colour changing sapphire, that is lab grown but has some interesting inclusions that had my gemologist not 100% certain so im looking around for another one but it turns a BEAUTIFUL hot pink under UV light, purple in fluorescent light, and a lovely deep blue in natural light.

do you know if your gem stone is colour changing? i know you made mention of some purple hues in the stone.

As others have said, many violet-purple sapphires shift towards red in warmer lighting and fluoresce red in LW UV. Both effects are caused by chromium.

These two stones are both clearly purple rather than blue, but they illustrate these effects. Both shift redder in incandescent light (don't know about fluorescent light) and both fluoresce red in LW UV. Upper pics in daylight, lower in LW UV.
SapphireFluorescence.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well after seeing this thread I had to go check my no heat color shifter blue sapphire and yes, it does have red fluorescence.

As3fthjkl

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well after seeing this thread I had to go check my no heat color shifter blue sapphire and yes, it does have red fluorescence.

everybody has a secret red sapphire!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results