shape
carat
color
clarity

What does it take to get into Stanford????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2006 1:25:24 AM
Author: cutey TT
ultimately though, i think a lot of people get caught in the trap of thinking that getting into a good college is the end-all-be-all...and it''s completely not true. what''s more important is what the individual does with the education he / she obtains...how they take that education and apply it to further their life / career... college is a starting point, not an endpoint. just my 0.02.

Yes. I said something similar above. Part of what I said is below:

"One can learn at schools that are not ''big name'' schools. I think one really has to want to learn. Instilling that love for learning is my goal for my daughter. (And what is more, I have not even given up yet!!)

I would like a thoughtful, well-read, well-informed child who does a job she enjoys. Many supposedly well-educated people do not behave as if anything rubbed off on them while in school. They may be competent at their jobs, but they cannot converse about the things educated people should be able to enjoy discussing! Politics. History. Religion. Art. Music. Theatre. Global warming (well, I needed some science in there!)."

Deborah

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 3:10:54 PM
Author: codex57
I didn''t know Ivy''s didn''t allow athletic scholarships. Seems strange cuz my friend was scouted by a Harvard baseball person. Seems strange to scout if they can''t offer an athletic scholarship. Maybe they can just offer to get the person in?

Still, doesn''t matter that Stanford or Duke aren''t Ivy''s. They''re just as good (or even better) than some of the Ivy''s in terms of rep and exclusitivity.
Athletic scholarships are technically disallowed for athletes in the Ivy League, however there are means of gaming the system. Alumni sponsor certain individuals, often athletes or exceptional students from poor families. It''s not a scholarship program through the schools, but for athletes and other particularly qualified students, they make sure the money is there.

I went to Dartmouth and although I don''t think any school in the I.L. is better than Stanford/Duke, etc., I also don''t think that the above statement that Stanford/Duke might be better than any school in the I.L. is fair. It''s splitting hairs at that level and largely dependent on your major--if you want to major in Accounting, you can''t beat UT/University of Illinois/Wharton. If you want to major in Engineering, MIT/CalTech are going to be tip top. For a more traditional Liberal Arts education, especially in the humanities, I think it''s hard to beat the I.L. and schools like Amherst/Williams/etc. that specialize in that sort of thing.

Back on topic, smart people will do well wherever they go to school. A big name school does have certain advantages in opening doors and might make life easier, but who have got the stuff, have got the stuff and that will show wherever. Stanford is hard to get into, but I think it''s hard to determine who is/is not a good candidate unless you see an actual application. Ann''s friend''s daughter could be an awesome applicant, but just doesn''t talk about why. She could be a terrible applicant and her dad is over-excited about the Stanford prospect. I think it is difficult to say based on the one or two things you hear. I hope she does get in--it''s a great school. Three of my high school classmates went and loved it/got a great education.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2006 12:56:59 AM
Author: cutey TT
codex - did you go to whitney?

Yeah, i was/am a nerd. I''ve frighteningly hit that age where I remember how much fun school was and how carefree it was. No longer that blissful innocent age where I was anxious to get out of school. Talking about high school and college brings back fond memories.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results