shape
carat
color
clarity

What does heartburn feel like?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Stupid question of the year:

I have had pain all day in my chest and since I am pregnant I think it may be heartburn. From google it sounds like the pain would be in the middle of your chest because it is in your esophagus. Mine is distinctly on the left side, right under my breast. If I push where the pain is I can feel my heart beating really hard through my ribs. Does this sound like heartburn to anyone? I wish I could just get some tums to see if it goes away but I am home alone and on bedrest so I'm just trying to stick it out until tomorrow.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it is a strong burning sensation at the bottom of my throat - near collar bone - sometimes above and sometimes below the collar bone. Not on the left side. I also get reflux where water/food from my stomach contents comes back up into my mouth. Nasty! Hope you feel better soon.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
JGator- what you describe is how I picture it to be but not at all how it feels for me. Mine feels like it is coming from my heart. But maybe that's why they call it heartburn? I just know it can't be an actual heart problem though, I have low blood pressure and cholesterol and all that...

ETA: Oh and the pain is gone this morning thankfully!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use to get heartburn and gas really bad during pregnancy. If you are ever in doubt call your doc. I was lucky because my nurse was waaay more helpful on phone questions then my OBGYN. I hope the heartburn stays away but I had it more often during pregnancy. I am glad you are feeling better Mia.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I get heartburn from food allergies sometimes and that is exactly how it feels. I think it's called eosinophilic esophagitis. I did an elimination diet to find the trigger. I hope that is all it is and you feel better soon!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Mia, hope you're feeling better. I had intemittent heartburn early in this pregnancy. It's kind of a hard feeling to describe, and I think different people feel it somewhat differently. Mine is usually pretty much centered, rather than on the left side. Hopefully you can get some antacids soon for the next time it strikes. Lately, I don't get heartburn as much anymore, but like JGator, I'm having major problems with acid reflux. Pregnancy definitely messes with your digestive system!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got heartburn in my pregnancies and it was lower down for me that the PPs said, like a hard knot of dull slightly burning pain under my sternum almost where my ribcage first meets. And soemtimes under the left breast too. You can try a massage. Sit up and use your knuckles to massage -- pretty hard!! -- in circular motions down your sternum, under your left breast, and then back up your sternum. If it hurts like heck then you have heart burn ;)) Massage for two or three times the course of the sternum/under breast area, then breath reall deep into the pit of your belly, expanding your diaphragm all the way. You will likely burp, and then it will feel a little better. But for me, I just popped TUMS all day and night.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results